Technology and mainly the internet is one of the fastest-growing markets and will become an inextricable part of modern human life, integrating itself into every facet of our daily lives.
Already, technology has achieved a feat in that and is currently paving way for the internet. The overall market for the Internet of Things (IoT) is expanding in a CAGR (compounded annual growth rate) of around 24% and is expected to achieve a market of USD 1,102 billion by 2026.
The scope of web development is also growing at a tremendous rate. As we know, work from home jobs are gaining popularity among the masses these days, remote web developer jobs are also gaining attraction.
An intro into remote web developer jobs
A web developer is a programmer who specialized in creating, designing, and developing a website, specifically the World Wide Web applications. The work of a web developer is to write codes, design, and develop the layout of a website. Web developers are also called the ‘programmers’ and when they sit in remotely to perform all of the above, they are called remote web developers.
The classic remote web developer jobs can be broken down into three categories. They are,
- Remote back end web developers: Back end web development refers to server-side development. These developers focus on the scripting, databases, and architecture of the website. Codes written by these developers help to communicate the database information to the browser.
- Remote full stack web developers: The combination of both front-end web developer and back end web development is referred to as full-stack web developers. These are the programmers who have experience dealing with both front end and back end web development.
Career Path Under Remote Web Developer Jobs
We are moving deeper into the digital age. There are certain tech domains creating job opportunities for the youth. Web Development is one such field in which you can make your career. Here is a list of the career paths you can follow under remote web developer jobs.
1. Web Designer – the job of a web designer is to design a user-friendly website for the clients. You should have these skills in you to start your career as a web designer.
- The person should have a basic idea as to how the design theory works.
- You should know the basics of Java, CSS, and HTML while doing website designing.
- You should be aware of the sketch or Photoshop things.
- The web designers are well versed in the frameworks like foundation or bootstrap libraries jQuery and CSS extensions that include SASS.
3. Front-End Developer – as a front-end developer, you hold the responsibility to create well-optimized graphics on the website. You act as a bridge between the back-end developer and website designer. Therefore, you need to be clean and efficient in your coding job.
4. Back-End Developer – the back-end developer works on the server-side of the website. He or she must pull the essential information under the load. What you need to know as the back-end developer is the scripting languages, web services, and programming languages (Java and C++).
5. DevOps – DevOps works in collaboration with the IT staff and the developers’ team of a digital marketing agency. They handle the code oversee and network operations. You should know these skills security, build process, deployment, testing, and integration.
6. SEO Copywriter – SEO copyrighter works on how to increase the website’s traffic. They focus on building up the inbound links, writing attention-grabbing headlines and stories. To become an SEO copyrighter, you should have known these skills include copywriting, data analysis, A/B testing, and Google Analytics.
7. Digital Marketer – a digital marketer should have a good understanding of the website’s viewers. The advertising happens on digital platforms social networking websites, emails, blogs, and guest posting. You need to understand the demographics and functions of these popular advertising platforms. Furthermore, digital marketers should hold expertise in email marketing, A/B testing, SEO analytics, branding, and basic HTML knowledge.
Market opportunity for remote web developer jobs
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) data revealed 15% job growth in the web development field from 2016-2026. It is among the fastest-growing professions in the digital era in comparison with other professions.
The web designing and development industry consist of the individual developers, hosting sales, web designers, audio and video coding development, web design template, and custom web design.
Additionally, the web real-time communications and internet data centers have included in it. We are moving ahead with technological advancement. Then, we will see growth in the web development profession in the coming years.
All the businesses want to make their presence on the internet to attract their potential customers. The e-commerce and mobile devices sector is hiring web developers on a large scale.
You have the analytics knowledge and aesthetic sensibilities in you with coding knowledge. Then, you are ready to start your career as a web developer. You can take a full-time job in a company or start working as a freelancer.
There are many websites like Upwork and Fiverr from where you can get the website development projects and start working on it.
Skills required for remote web developer jobs
The remote web developer jobs skills required to create and develop a website successfully are as follows. For a detailed list of certifications that are recommended for remote web developers, please refer computer.org.
1. Begin with learning HTML and CSS
Start learning the basic programming language HTML and CSS. As you move into remote web developer jobs, you are required to know the basics of coding and markup language. HyperText Markup Language (HTML) is the standard one among all the markup language. As we know, HTML practically forms every web page on the internet. The functioning of a website totally depends upon the developer who writes the HTML code.
But one can’t write HTML without Cascading Style Sheets (CSS). One will rely on CSS for a website to actually display as a website. CSS interprets documents written in a markup language and they are a more stylized presentation of HTML language.
The way an HTML document looks visually as a website is described by CSS. The website’s font, layout, and color are also described by the CSS.
3. Basics of Photoshop for remote front end developers
As someone who is actively into remote web developer jobs, one is required to learn Photoshop as the web development landscape is constantly changing. Photoshop helps on how to make web layouts from scratch and most of them include the whole contents of a real web page.
It is used by designers to create web graphics, UI elements, wireframes, and functional mockups. By learning photoshop, one can also create plenty of mockup website. Photoshop is used to edit images, to handle photos that will be a part of the website.
The editing tools of Photoshop is helpful in uploading product photos, team members’ photos, photos of product or service, crop an image, adjust the color of an image, etc. Other than this, Photoshop can also be used for image optimization, creation of web assets, etc.
Suggested read: Remote Graphic Design Jobs
4. WordPress for CMS based integrations
WordPress is a web software one can use to create a highly functional website. Almost, 75 million websites function on WordPress alone, which is more than 25% of the internet altogether.
It was originally created as a blog-publishing system but has developed to support other types of web content including more traditional mailing lists and forums, membership sites, learning management systems, media galleries, and online stores.
It is a free content management system, user friendly for both beginners and for well-established web developers. WordPress is easy use software that can edit and modify web pages, add thousands of plugins, widgets, and themes. It helps those into remote web developer jobs in design and development that includes SEO (search engine optimization), branding, and focus on visitor conversions.
5. Analytical skills – a must for algorithm heavy apps
One will create good and successful websites if the skills are strong. But there is a marketing side to the job which also comes as part and parcel of most of the remote web developer jobs. It is to understand the consumers. Understanding consumer behavior is not as easy as consumer behavior is dynamic and ever-changing.
So the coding, design, and development of the website should also evolve to satisfy the ever-changing consumers. A clear understanding of consumers, especially web consumers is an essential part.
One will encounter many kinds of audiences, clients, niche markets throughout your career. The websites will sell only when one understands the consumers on the whole. There are a lot of ways to understand web consumers. The most concrete way to understand them is to gather web statistics and analyze them and that’s where the role of analytical tools comes in.
There are a lot of tools available on the internet to gather web statistics. For example, Google Analytics, SEMRush, Moz keyword explorer, etc. These web statistics helps one to understand the specific target audiences. Web statistics provide information on how long they stay on the websites and which keywords users search.
It is access to the minds of the consumers and the interests of the target audience. With all this information, one can create appealing and customer attractive websites.
6. Basics of SEO for those in growth areas
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is the driving force of modern-day marketing. To attract traffic and secure leads, websites need SEO. These days, modern consumers find products and services through online searches.
Without implementing SEO, one won’t be able to learn the search engine results. Keyword content, page upload speed, domain credibility are some of the skills that web developers would learn. The ones into remote web developer jobs can depend on SEO to help their websites gain traffic and rank better.
The demand for SEO is growing exponentially. Many businesses are looking to make SEO a part of their marketing campaigns. But there are parts of SEO that necessarily don’t require web development and design. Web development skills can be extended to the realms of blogs and social media.
Remote junior web developer jobs
One of the most popular positions for tech newbies is that of remote junior web developer jobs. Also, there isn’t a requirement for a computer science degree. You are just required to pick up the right skills to land as a junior web developer. These are also remote web developer job requirements.
- Build a portfolio site because that’s the thing a potential employer will look at when considering you for the junior web developer position. It should be a reflection of your personal brands and skills. Once you are done with your portfolio site, its’ time to upload it with some core portfolio projects. Also, include your past experiences as a web developer.
- Work for some other freelance projects. It isn’t necessary to be huge ones. For example, you can offer to re-do the navigation for a restaurant’s website or to create an HTML newsletter for an NGO. The coding you learned in classes for mock projects or solo gigs now would be a practically experimented one gaining some real-time experience.
- To participate in a hackathon. They are actually fun where you get to engage with a lot of other tech people who share similar interests. Lately, they might help you tackle relevant problems, test coding skills, etc. This will gain your contacts. Continue networking from there. Keep meeting new people and learn more about the web development industry by talking online and in person.
- Follow the industry news and keep up with what’s happening in it. This will be critical for the first junior web development job interview and the small talk you’ll be making with new tech friends. You can follow tech news, blogs, listening to podcasts to keep yourself updated. Besides keeping yourself updated with news, it is necessary to learn new skills whenever possible.
Remote web developer jobs – Roles & responsibilities
- To write well designed and efficient code by using best software development practices.
- Create a website layout interface using HTML/CSS practices
- Website and software application maintaining
- Integrate various data from back-end services and databases and backup files from websites to local directories for recovery
- Understanding web applications and programming practices through study and participation in various conferences
- Take good care of maintaining, expanding, and scaling the website
- Writing, editing, and designing website content and conferring with teams to resolve conflicts, prioritize needs, and develop content criteria.
- Evaluate code to ensure it meets the industry standards and to determine the user needs by analyzing technical requirements
- Identifying problems uncovered by the customer feedback and correcting or referring the correction to appropriate personnel
- Work on the SEO (Search Engine Optimization) if required
The above-mentioned responsibilities, mostly, won’t be assigned to a single person. This is just an overview of the general responsibilities of web developers.
Pros and Cons of remote web developer jobs
Remote web developer jobs have several advantages and disadvantages. Let’s discuss some of the pros,
Building a website is an art and such artwork calls for complete work without any interference and disturbance. Website building requires long hours and working in remote places (without office co-workers) can increase the productivity time to create, improve, and tweaking the site.
In effect, remote workers are more productive as they put in more hours and are less likely to take extended breaks and days off even ill.
Further reading: 14 Best Productivity Tips to Achieve More At Work & Life
The main advantage of working in remote web developer jobs is the flexibility to work. You have the authority to work when and where you want. For an experienced web developer, one can decide her/his own working hours of the say based on the project, and then the pace is based on the schedule.
If one is starting his career, he/she might have clients calling on to add hours of the day. In this case, one needs to be flexible to accommodate their needs.
3. No commute and dress code
Remote web developer jobs usually involves zero commutes which saves a bundle of time and also requires no dress code. Nowadays, commute wrecks the physical and mental state of an individual. Enormous time and money are saved from the commute.
As there aren’t any such dress codes, one also saves the tiny proportion spent on dry-cleaning costs. One might have an occasional face-to-face meeting with the boss and clients. There is hardly a need to meet unless you are required for a must-do on-site work.
Suggested read: 8 Remote Work Habits Of Every Productive Employee
4. Work-life balance
The main attraction of remote web developer jobs is one can easily juggle between your work career and personal life at the same time. You can fix your working hours and can care to spend time with family, friends, and pets.
This kind of work will likely make you feel happier and less stressed. One can also save the cost of childcare or child sitting costs. One will still manage to spend quality time with loved ones and getting work done.
Read More: How to achieve & maintain Work-life balance
Some of the cons are,
1. Lack of proper discipline
Having no schedule for a day makes you feel slack off in many ways. As a web developer, you mostly won’t work under scheduled timing jobs. One fixes his/her own timing of work. Hence, discipline is a core for remote web developer jobs. You should ensure to follow the schedule you make and don’t succumb to distractions.
As you don’t go to the office, you will surely work in the odd hours due to the client’s demands. This leads to overworking, the most dangerous one when you work at home.
3. Limited Social Life
As you are into remote web developer jobs, you don’t get to meet new people and build networking. You might feel isolated and feel left out as you don’t meet people majorly. Relationships and social contact are harder to form when you are at home all day. To overcome this, join some networking clubs, get in touch with office colleagues, and volunteer for community projects.
Suggested read: 8 Simple ways you can combat remote work loneliness
4. External Pressures
When you are alone in remote web developer jobs, it is too easy to get diverted and do anything you want as you are alone and no one is watching at you. This reduces productivity drastically. To avoid this, make a proper daily and weekly plan.
Recommended certifications to get remote web developer jobs
Web development certificate offers an introduction to web development, designing, and debugging. You can take admission in a web development course after finishing your graduation degree. How can you choose the right course in web development for you?
The first and foremost thing for you is that you should keep your career and goals in your mind. Then, you can check which web development course is best for you. You can prefer online learning programs. It offers you time flexibility. In the offline programs, you have to follow a particular time to complete your course.
- Exam 70-480 by Microsoft
- HTML Certification CanCanIT
- Basics of Web Designing by University of Michigan
- Full Stack Web Development with React by the Hong Kong University of Science & Technology
- Introduction to Web Development by University of California
- Django for Everybody by University of Michigan
- Full Stack Web and Multiplatform Mobile App Development
- Google IT Support
- Responsive Web Design and Development
Top 10 tools needed for remote web developer jobs
Time-saving tools and systems are always beneficial for web developers to handle their clients. These tools help you to organize things and write codes.
- Trello – you are a freelance website developer then you must have the Trello tool. It is a project management tool and a personal organizer for you. This tool is available free with limited features. You can buy the premium version for $5 per month and $45 annual subscription cost.
- HTML5Boilerplate – HTML5Boilerplate is among the most popular front and end tools available on the web. Boilerplate offers you much more than the template options. You can recycle code while designing the website. This tool is available for free.
- MongoDB – MongoDB is an accessible and flexible tool best for freelance developers. You can find a driver in it to use every programming language. The company offers an open-source version of the tool. Furthermore, MongoDB’s paid version is available for commercial work.
- Codepen – the registered users on Codepen can send snippets of the codes. There are 17 million people uses this web development tool. Codepen is a code editor tool and the developers can use it to share their ideas and progress with clients. The tool is available free on the internet.
- Ionic2 – Ionic2 provides an effective framework for mobile app developers. It is open-source software on the internet. The group of around 5 million developers from different countries does a good discussion. It is easy to use software with command-line availability.
- Atom – Atom is a text editor tool on the internet available for freelance developers. Modern freelancers can use it for easy communication. Atom, you get an auto-complete feature. It works well when you want to breakdown complex files into simple ones. Additionally, this tool is available for free.
- Intellij IDEA – Intellij IDEA is an integrated development environment (IDE) tool from Jetbrains. It is available in open source license and proprietary form. You need to pay $650 the first year to get the tool’s commercial ownership. Furthermore, this tool does the analyses of the codes and offers suggestions.
- Visual Studio Code – Microsoft has designed the Visual Studio Code web development tool. A source code editor tool works well with every programming language. It supports intelligent code completion and debugging. Visual Studio Code is free to use.
- GitLab – You are working on a web development project with a larger team. Then, you would not mind spending $99 per month to get GitLab. This tool allows the team working on the project to access the same things anytime.
Top 25 dream companies for remote web developer jobs
Internet is the fastest-growing markets with technology development. It has become an integral part of our life with time. The web development profession is growing at a tremendous rate. You have decided to become a web developer. Here are the dream 25 companies you can work as a web developer in a remote position.
- Landi English
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Modus Create
- United Nations Development Program (UNDP)
- Missional University
- Time Doctor
- Status Research & Development
- Aeolus Robotics
- Toptal LLC
What is remote web developer jobs?
A remote web developer jobs deal with a programmer who works at home specializes in creating, designing, and developing web applications.
What are the skills required for front end developer remote jobs?
What are the skills needed for remote web developer jobs?
What are the pros and cons of remote developer jobs?
The pros of remote web developer jobs are flexibility in work timings, increase productivity, good work-life balance, no commute, and dress code. The cons are lack of proper discipline, overworking and limited social life.
What is the job profile of remote junior web developer jobs?
To become a junior web developer you should create your portfolio, gain practical real-time experience working for freelance projects, participate in Hackathon and gain good contacts with the industry leaders, learn the skills required for a web developer work from home and keep yourself updated on what’s happening on the market.
What are the skills required for remote entry level web developer jobs?
For entry level web developer jobs, one is at least required to have learned two basic programming language – HTML and CSS.
What are the best sites to find remote developer jobs?
Indeed, unremot.com and FlexJobs are the best websites to search for web developer jobs remotely.