A resume is the first impression of you to the eyes of a recruiter. This could make you feel a lot of pressure before you apply for a job. But, you do not have to worry! Even if you are not an experienced designer, you can simply make use of an online resume software to create a resume of your choice. Resumes can be in the form of infographics, videos, interaction, or simple well-formatted text. Whatever be the kind of resume, we have compiled a list of the best resume software for you to use.
Criteria for selection of the best resume software
- Simple tools for designing
- User-friendly interface
- Inclusion of a free trial
- Focused on self-service
Best Resume Software
To create a great infographics resume, these are the finest resume building tools –
1. Canva – A great resume builder for the creation of a free custom-designed resume
Canva has the most number of options for customizing your resume. You can choose from many resume templates, make adjustments in fonts and colors, and select elements of design from an expansive library of photos, icons, and illustrations that have been created by professional designers.
- Price – Canva is a free resume builder if you use the built-in design elements. If you wish to add premium graphics, the price starts from $1 per graphic.
- Sharing options – You can download your resume from Canva and share it wherever you like – print, email, social media, websites, or job portals.
2. Visme – The best resume building software for quickly finding the ideal design assets
Although Visme has few templates for resumes and elements of design, it is one of the resume building tools that is very easily accessible to new users of design programs. All of the illustrations, icons, and images are clearly sorted into easily comprehendible categories and subcategories.
- Price – This resume building software is free for a basic plan that includes limited templates and downloading as JPG or PNG files. The Standard plan gets billed annually at $10 per month with premium templates and downloading as PDF files.
- Sharing – You can download your resume from Visme and share it wherever you like – print, email, social media, websites, or job portals
3. Vizualize.me – The best software to make resume that is visually interactive
To create an interactive infographic resume, Vizualize.me can be used, provided you have a LinkedIn profile. It utilizes data from your LinkedIn profile to create a web-based infographic. Your experience, education, skills, recommendations, and other important details will be highlighted. Being the best software to make resume that is interactive, Vizualize.me provides a visual overview of your experience along with elaborate descriptions. This software has around six color palates, six templates, and just about a dozen fonts. More designs are sure to be added over time.
- Price – Vizualize.me is free if you share your resume online. You will have to pay $19 per month for the Business plan that lets you download and print your resume.
- Sharing – You can share a link to your resume on social media and through email. You can even embed a Vizualize.me icon or button on your website to give access to your resume.
Some of the best resume programs that build great videos resumes are –
1. Biteable – The best software to make resume in the form of a video with a professional touch
Biteable does not allow you to film a video resume. However, it is the best resume software that helps you add a professional touch to a video resume that is already filmed using other software. You can add music, titles, text, and end screens to your video resume. If you purchase the premium plan, you can even add clips of other videos that you created.
- Price – Biteable is the best free resume builder to edit, share, and embed a video resume that has a branded watermark. To download the video resume and remove the watermark, you will have to purchase the Premium plan at $8.25 per month.
- Sharing – The free version lets you share your video resume as a direct link that is hosted on a Biteable URL or even add an embed code to your website. The Premium plan lets you download your video resume and share it wherever you like.
Suggested read: Contemplating Career Change? Here’s all you need to know
2. CV One – The best free resume builder for creating resumes with both, video and text
CV One has a scrolling teleprompter that can be used to create a script for your video resume. You can record your video within the app. You can simply type in what you want to say and make adjustments to the font size and scrolling speed to match your speaking speed to create your video. You can shoot and re-shoot as many times as you like within the app.
- Price – This is one of the resume programs that is free of cost.
- Sharing – Your video and text resume can be published to a CV One webpage. It can be shared through a CV One URL.
3. EasyPrompter + YouTube – The best resume software for building a DIY video resume
If you want to make use of a teleprompter but do not wish to let your video resume stay only on the software’s URL, you can use EasyPrompter and YouTube. EasyPrompter is a great teleprompting tool where you can make a script, make additions of visual indicators for places which require a pause, and adjust the scrolling speed. The computer window having EasyPrompter can be placed near your webcam and then, you can record your video resume. Next, you can upload the view to YouTube and set the privacy as “Unlisted”. This will allow you to share your video resume with recruiters and you can even embed it on your website.
- Price – EasyPrompter is free for basic features. To run it offline and save unlimited scripts, the Pro plan can be purchased at $9.99 per month.
- Sharing – The video resume can be shared with a direct link.
Professional resume documents
To create professional resume documents, use these resume building tools –
1. CakeResume – Great for creation of a custom resume template
Cakeresume provides a lot of flexibility to design a resume. By using the drag-and-drop option of this tool, you can choose a style of your choice for every individual section of your resume. You can add images and links, or you can keep your resume as plain text only.
- Price – This tool is free for a single resume that has the CakeResume branding. By getting the Advanced plan at $3.95 per month, you can create unlimited resumes, remove the branding, and gain access to premium designs.
- Sharing – You can download your resume from CakeResume and share it wherever you like – print, email, social media, websites, or job portals.
2. Uptowork – A great tool that provides guidance on what to include in a resume
Uptowork takes you through every section that can appear in a resume and provides tips on what to include in them. If you are creating a resume for the first time or require guidance regarding the importance of the sections, this is a great tool to use. Uptowork adapts all the information that you provide to fit into its template, thereby proving to be time-saving and easy to use. You can make edits to some details of designs such as line spacing, font, and colors.
- Price – You can create your resume for free and share it on an Uptowork URL. By purchasing a Start plan at $4.99 per month, you can use four resume templates and download it as a TXT or PDF file.
- Sharing – The free plan lets you share your resume as an Uptowork URL. The Start plan lets you download your resume and share it however you like.
3. VisualCV – Ideal for formatting and styling an already existing resume
This tool lets you upload an already existing resume. It parses the text and adds its findings to its resume template. VisualCV provides you with a polished resume in a quick process.
- Price – This tool is free to use for three templates and branded PDF downloads. The Pro plan with a three-month commitment can be purchased at $12 per month to use all templates and download a PDF file without branding.
- Sharing – You can download your resume from VisualCV and share it wherever you like – print, email, social media, websites, or job portals.
Interactive, online resumes
To create the best interactive, online resumes, these are the programs you can use –
1. Adobe Spark – The best for creating an interactive resume for those with no development experience
With Adobe Spark, you can choose from 13 pre-built themes to create a single-page interactive resume. You can even control your page style and make additions of photos, videos, text, and links. The drawback of Adobe Spark is that you will have to start with a blank page, with no resume template to use.
- Price – This tool is free along with branding. The Premium plan at $9.99 per month lets you create your own template and remove the branding.
- Sharing – You can get a link that is hosted on an Adobe Spark URL or copy the embed code to your website.
2. WordPress – This is a fine program to create your own professional website
WordPress lets you build your own branded website. You need hosting and a domain name. You might even need to invest in a prebuilt theme so that you need not code from scratch. Taking the time to understand how WordPress works is definitely worth it. Amidst WordPress plugins and themes, the options for your resume website are unlimited.
- Price – WordPress is free for self-hosting. It is also free for an account with basic features. The Personal plan at $48 per year is for a custom domain, 6GB storage, and free themes.
- Sharing – Search engine results will help people find your website domain and thereby access your resume.
3. Wix – The best for the creation of a professional website without a learning curve
If the learning required for WordPress is overwhelming and you do not have any website development experience, Wix is a great platform. It handles aspects like the finding of a domain, theme, and hosting service. As it uses a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) interface, you can simply click on a section that requires change and make edits in a sidebar. Though the website you create is not as customizable as a WordPress site, Wix saves a lot of time and effort.
- Price – This platform is free for building a website that has a Wix URL and ads. With the Connect Domain plan at $5 per month, you can use your own domain name. The Combo plan at $11 per month removes Wix ads.
- Sharing – The free plan gives a link to your website that is hosted on a Wix URL. The premium plans let you host your Wix website on your own domain.
You can carefully consider the most appropriate format for your industry or you can build multiple resumes in varied formats to see which one of the them gives the most interviews.
With the best resume software, you can now design your best first impression with ease!