Are you searching for remote graphic design jobs? Do you have a flair for creating visually appealing content and wish to work remotely? If yes, this is the blog for you. Read on!
The quarantine period calls for remote working. Remote working refers to work that is done in a remote location, away from an office. Remote jobs could have the elements of both, employment and freelancing. This depends on how the employer wants the work to proceed.
Market opportunity for remote graphic design jobs
With the world facing pandemic, remote jobs are more preferred over the work-from-office. Every sector is undergoing changes, and the same goes for remote graphic design jobs. The market opportunity for remote graphic design jobs is tremendous in the present circumstances.
As per a survey, it has been found that 67% of businesses think that the importance of graphic designing for business will grow exponentially in the coming five years. This clearly shows that the demand for creative graphic designers is not going to reduce anytime soon.
Further, freelance remote graphic design positions account for almost 90% of total industry participation. Graphic designing is a well-established industry, and it provides services to different industries like advertising, media, software industry, manufacturing, fashion, textile, and any other industry you can think of.
The world is going digital, and all digital platforms and social media platforms are using visually appealing graphics along with content to make a good impression among their target customers. Thus, if you are thinking about taking up graphic design remote jobs, there is no dearth of opportunity in the sector.
But, the opportunities are not served on a silver platter. You have to improve your skills and knowledge to get the best job opportunities in the graphic designing sector.
Types of remote graphic design jobs
- Full-time – In a full-time position, you will have to dedicate your time to one remote job.
- Part-time – In a part-time position, you will be obligated to work only for a few hours.
- Contracts – In a contract position, you will be expected to work dedicatedly for a specific amount of time as entailed by a contract.
Looking for the best remote graphic design jobs can be a daunting task. But, you don’t have to worry. We have all the information you will need to get the most beneficial remote graphic design jobs.
Tip: Connecting with people on LinkedIn can open up many possibilities for a great remote graphic design job.
Job titles and career paths under remote graphic design jobs
Graphic design remote work is the coolest job position and career path we have ever heard of. You will wake up every day doing something that you love. This is a creative career path, but it offers numerous opportunities. The typical remote design jobs begin as a junior designer after you have completed your degree or certification in this field.
You can work for a creative agency. From there onwards, you can progress to midweight remote graphic artist jobs. After that, you can get an opportunity to become a senior designer, art director, creative director, and even beyond. Thus, there are multiple career paths that you may follow.
Good designers with creativity and the needed skills are always in demand. You may get an opportunity to design book covers, packaging design, motion designer, animator, 3D designer, game designer, and many more.
Another industry that is always open for graphic designers includes advertising and media. You can even take up the job of teaching if you have the needed training and experience. Some of the most important positions in a remote graphic designing job include UI/UX designer, email marketing designer, game designer, muralist, packaging designer, and many more.
Roles and responsibilities of remote graphic design jobs
Remote graphic designer jobs need candidates to perform their roles and responsibilities with utmost honesty and sincerity. Thus, it is important to have complete knowledge about the roles and responsibilities of remote graphic design jobs. Following are the major roles and responsibilities,
- Conceptualizing visuals depending upon the expectation of the client or the company
- Creating images and layouts by hand or by using design software.
- Testing different types of graphics across different media
- To create graphics that can capture attention and communicate the right message about the brand or the product.
- Ability to translate requirement into design and visuals
- Study the design brief and determine the requirement of the client
- Schedule different projects and define the budget constraints
- Conceptualize different types of visuals depending upon the requirement
- Prepare a rough draft and present ideas to the client.
- Develop illustrations, logos, and other design by using software
- Using appropriate colors and layout for each design
- Work with the copywriter and creative director to produce the best design.
- Test graphics across different media
- Amend designs (If needed) after the feedback
- Ensure that final graphics and layouts are visually appealing as per the need of the brand or the product.
Also Read: Low stress jobs | A complete guide
Qualification needed for a remote graphic design job
You don’t have to follow a hard and fast rule in terms of getting appropriate qualifications to get a remote design job. Having a bachelor’s degree in graphic arts may be the best degree you can complete to get remote designer jobs. Even a bachelor’s degree in arts and science can suffice for a remote graphic designing job.
Your creativity and skills determine the type of job you will get. Different sectors need different qualifications for candidates. Thus, if you are thinking of working in the advertising and media sector, knowledge about marketing may be expected. If you are thinking about working in the IT sector, knowledge about different computer applications and web applications may be expected.
For people who want to go towards the field of UI and UX designing, knowledge about websites and different elements may be expected. Thus, it depends upon the industry you want to work for that will determine your qualification. After your bachelor’s degree, you can also complete your Masters’s degree in graphic designing to get senior positions as a remote graphic designer.
Also Read: How to find a job | Know before you start
Remote graphic design job skills
In your application, you will have to assure your potential employer of certain remote graphic design job skills that you have.
- Communication skills – You could portray these skills through your application. Usage of clear and precise language is necessary. If you are ever in a state of doubt, ensure that you choose over-communication instead of under-communication.
- Self-management skills – It is highly recommended that you mention your hobbies, routine, or experiences in the area of work and outside that require you to follow a strict schedule. This will reflect highly on your discipline.
- Previous experience – This could be any experience you possess in the domain of graphic designing. It could include previous online graphic design jobs, freelancing, or volunteering.
- Experience with tools of communication – Work from home freelance graphic design jobs utilize many new communication tools such as Slack, Join.me, and the like. You could mention any experience that you have had with these tools.
- Experience with tools of project management – All remote freelance graphic design jobs rely heavily on project management tools. Ensure that you mention any experience you have had working on tools like Trello and the like.
- Graphic designing skills – This is definitely the most obvious one among all. Build a good portfolio that reflects well on your graphic designing skills. Mention the software that you have experience with and convey to your potential employer what exactly you have to offer to them.
Certifications to get remote graphic design jobs
You may need different types of certifications to get remote graphic design jobs. But, the need for certification may vary depending upon the type of sector and industry you are working for. Following are some of the major certifications needed for graphic designer remote jobs,
- Adobe Creative Suite – This certification is needed even for entry-level remote graphic design jobs. Adobe offers this certification to showcase the proficiency of the candidate.
- Animation – Graphic designers who have a degree in animation have more marketable skills, and they can get lots of opportunities in the gaming sector and IT companies. Since graphic designing is going to be movement based in upcoming years, getting a degree or certification in animation can be a good option.
- Adobe Illustrator – This certification can be quite helpful for budding graphic designers as well as for pro designers. This certification will enable you to capture your creative vision with different shapes, colors, effects, and typography.
- Canva – Getting a certification in Canva can help you to create a large variety of engaging content quickly and effectively.
- Photoshop – Adobe Photoshop is one of the most critical tools for all types of graphic designers. Certification in Photoshop will help you in image editing, retouching, creating image composition, and website mockups.
How to build a great graphic design portfolio?
To attain professional success in remote graphic design jobs, having a solid portfolio is a must. It stands as a visual representation of your skills and accomplishments.
1. Include only your best work
Every work of yours that goes into the graphic design portfolio must reflect best on your capabilities. This is why including only your best work can give potential employers a sense of what you can offer to them. If you are a beginner in graphic designing, your portfolio might be short.
However, even one strong page can create a very good impression of you in the eyes of the recruiters. Ensure that you add the variety of work you have done so that they can see your potential and expanded abilities. You can include good work that you have created for personal use as well. Labeling the designs as paid and self-initiated is a professional way of doing do.
2. Avoid questionable work
You should leave out all the work that you are unhappy with. Every graphic designer sometimes fails in producing great content. You can improvise on that but ensure that your portfolio does not see any of your downfalls. You might really want to add those designs and explain why they did not get accepted by clients.
Doing so will only result in a negative impression about you in your recruitment process. Also, do not add several samples of the same style of work. You can choose the best five for your portfolio.
3. Choose a good formatting website
It is essential for your portfolio to have a good format. Research the websites that seem convenient for you to create a profile and upload your work. Ensure that your chosen website accommodates highly visual content in good quality and lets you design your portfolio aesthetically.
Choose the templates that you find best suited for your samples. You can even create mini-portfolios for each style of work that you have created so that when they are compiled, it becomes easy for the employer to identify all your skills.
4. Tell a story through your portfolio
To make your portfolio easy to navigate, you could give it a narrative arc. Your work could have a beginning, middle, and end. You can place the strongest of your work in the beginning and end. This will give a good impression of your skills and ensure that potential employers are left thinking of your best work even after they close your portfolio.
Keeping your captions short is advisable because those who will be hiring you would not have the time to read a lot of text. However, ensure that your contact information is clearly mentioned.
5. Include your social media handles
In your portfolio, you can include your social media handles. It would give recruiters an idea about your online presence as a graphic designer. Social media handles are very effective platforms for building your brand.
You could retweet a web poster designed by you for an event, or show your Instagram feed. Choosing to include your social media handles also lets the employer get a sense of who you are as a person. It is important to keep your feeds professional.
6. Update content regularly
Portfolios are not stagnant. They must be growing constantly. You must update your portfolios with newly created content regularly. As you gain more experience, the work done will be better.
After building your portfolio, you can assess whether or not it looks fresh and carefully curated. When you feel confident with the final result, you can submit it to your potential employers.
Tip: To gain good work experience, you can start freelancing before searching for full-time jobs.
Top 10 tools needed for remote graphic design jobs
Every graphic designer needs certain types of tools that they can’t live without. Following are some of the top 10 tools needed for remote graphic design jobs.
- Notebook – No creative person can think about showcasing their creativity without having a netbook in front of them.
- Creative software – Creative software like adobe, sketch, and canvas is a must on your computer if you want to get remote freelance graphic design jobs.
- HD monitor – A simple monitor won’t work for a good graphic designer. A large HD monitor is more like a need rather than a luxury for most graphic designers.
- Wacom tools – No tool can suffice if a remote designer does not have the line of digital assets by Wacom. This includes a list of digital tablets, styluses, and software that are as per the industry standard.
- External Hard Drive – Every graphic designer needs to have lots of storage space, and thus, an external hard drive is extremely important for most designers
- Ergonomic chair – You may have to sit for longer if you get remote jobs graphic design. Thus, you will need an ergonomic chair that can help you to create your cozy and creative corner in your home.
- Headphones – Headphones are not specific to graphic designers, but they are important if you are working on a gaming design or an animation design.
- Behance – Behance is a social media platform that helps designers to showcase their skills and gain inspiration from other designers.
- Cloud storage – To help you get rid of any type of unforeseen circumstances in which you may lose all your designs and samples, using cloud storage can be the best option.
- Antivirus protection – Your computer system needs the best antivirus protection so that you can work on the internet without facing any inconvenience.
Top 25 dream companies for remote graphic design jobs
Are you sure about finding freelance graphic design jobs remote? If yes, this list of top 25 companies should be your best place to start your job hunt for online designing jobs. Check this list of top 25 dream companies for remote graphic design jobs,
|Name of the company||About the company|
|Pentagram||This is the world’s largest independently-owned design studio.|
|Landor||Landor is the world’s most famous brand consulting firm.|
|Wolff Olins||This is a brand consulting agency|
|Meta Designs||Famous design firm in the world located in San Francisco.|
|Happy Cog||This is a web designing company|
|The Chase||Known for innovative corporate branding|
|Pearlfisher||The company is known for creating designs for life.|
|Charlie Smith Design||Offers services like packaging design and digital designing services.|
|Mucho||This company is involved in the brand management of brands like Apple, BMW, and GAP.|
|Saffron Brand consultant||They transform brands with the clarity of rigorous thinking and by using bold ideas.|
|Anagrama||This is a self-proclaimed brand intelligence group.|
|Studio Dumbar||They have created meaningful brands from strategy to reality.|
|Fireart Studio||This is a Warsaw-based company that has clients ranging from startups to big brands.|
|Spin||Spin is all about bringing elegant and clean ideas in terms of design.|
|House Industries||This is one of the most famous typography companies in the world.|
|SocioDesign||They are known for their minimal and reductive style of design.|
|Triboro||They create creative, colorful, and hip designs with a small team.|
|Only||This is a strategy and design consultancy.|
|Frog||Frog is the only design company that advances human experience through different types of designs.|
|Made by Alphabet||They are a team of youthful designers who create playful designs.|
|DIA||This company specializes in a flexible designing approach.|
|Radish Lab||This is a graphic designing company that has made a name for itself by working on different social change projects.|
|Hey||Hey is a company that focuses on geometry, color, and direct typography through brand identity design.|
|Franklyn||Franklyn is known as the most creative graphic design studio.|
|Design||This graphic designing studio has achieved numerous awards and recognitions for its amazing design capability.|
Remote graphic design jobs checklist
To help you land the most desirable graphic design jobs remote, we have here a remote graphic design job checklist.
1. Learn the perspective of your employer
To apply to graphic design remote jobs, you need to present yourself in the best possible manner to an employer. You must also give employers what they are expecting. This aspect is particularly relevant to graphic design remote jobs where the needs of your employer will be very different from any other regular organization.
The questions you will need to ask yourself are – What does my potential employer expect from me as a remote graphic designer? What is the particular problem that they want to be solved? How can I positively contribute to that position?
2. Understand and work with the barriers of remote graphic design jobs
Applying for remote freelance graphic design jobs requires you to bring more skills to the table. The most problematic aspects of work from home graphic design jobs are,
- Communication – It is relatively easy to miss out on things when you cannot communicate with co-workers in person. Especially for remote freelance graphic design jobs where creativity is involved, direct communication can greatly delay the process of bringing approved content out.
- Discipline – While doing online graphic design jobs, there is no one to monitor you. It becomes easy to take the luxury of time and flexible work hours for granted.
These are the problems that the employers of most work from home graphic design jobs face. You will have to convey to your employers that you can promise effective communication and good time management.
Tip: Keep sharing your work online and build networks to increase your credibility as a graphic designer.
Now that you have the foundational information on applying for remote freelance graphic design jobs, you can begin your search.
Tip: Get certifications in graphic designing to give yourself more credibility.
How to find remote graphic design jobs?
Before you wonder how to find graphic design jobs, it is important to note that remote graphic design jobs require an approach that is different from that of office spaces. Your pitch, presentation, and positioning have to connect with the specific remote job opportunity. Moreover, if you wish to get top graphic design jobs remote, understanding the dynamics of the remote working life is crucial.
Best websites for remote graphic design jobs
We have compiled for you a list of the best websites for remote graphic design jobs. The criteria used to select these sites are,
- Provision of high quality remote graphic design jobs
- Acceptance of freelancers from around the world
- Flexibility in work hours
The best websites for remote graphic design jobs are,
1. FlexJobs – One of the best sites for remote work is FlexJobs. There are over 50 categories of remote work on this site. It provides a good quantity of quality remote graphic design jobs every day. This means that there is always an opportunity for you to use your skills. There is a fee for a membership that is to be paid every month. However, the fee is very affordable and can be earned back with a job.
2. unremot.com: This is one of the most technologically advanced remote collaboration platform for remote graphic design jobs. One can find freelance/remote work from across the recruiters around the world, while also collaborating with them over video-based virtual rooms and chats.
3. SolidGigs – SolidGigs efficiently curates a list of freelance jobs on a daily basis. The SolidGigs team goes through several dozens of freelance job boards every weekday and displays the top 1% of the jobs on their website’s freelance job stream.
The category of graphic designing is one of the most active categories on SolidGigs. A great feature of this site is that it has a growing library of fantastic resources like courses, scripts, and interviews that can actually help you get the remote graphic design jobs that you desire.
4. Remote – Remote specifically displays online jobs that are fully flexible with location. Graphic designers can find remote jobs from several well-known companies like Amazon and InVision through this website. Remote was co-founded by Sara Sutton, the founder of FlexJobs. You do not have to pay any fee to join this website.
5. Freeeup – A new marketplace for freelancers, Freeeup has the goal of establishing connections for the client with the top 1% of freelancers. This means that you will have to sign up on Freeeup and wait for clients. You will have to fill up an interview-like 5-step questionnaire. Most importantly, this process means that the jobs that you will land will have an above-average pay scale.
6. Hired – Hired is a site with a very unique feature. Instead of making you apply to a client, this website makes the client application to hire you. You can also conceal your profile and other information from employers, both previous and current if you want to work on your own business after working hours.
7. Toptal – A premium freelance job website, Toptal is famed for its practice of pre-vetting freelancers so that they provide a worthy experience to clients. All the mentions on this site pay above-average rates to graphic designers.
Toptal has a very attractive client pool history. Hewlett Packer, Pfizer, Airbnb, and many other major companies use Toptal to hire remote workers. Pass the rigorous interview to sign up on Toptal and land the job you like.
8. Virtual Vocations – Founded by Laura Spawn and Adam Stevenson, Virtual Vocations is a great website to search for remote graphic design jobs. This website has been running since 2007 and has a vast and vibrant list of online graphic design jobs that get updated regularly. Although you are required to pay to be a member of Virtual Vocations, the kind of jobs on the list are sure to make the fee seem worthy.
9. We Work Remotely – One of the biggest communities on the web to discover remote jobs, We Work Remotely regularly updates its list of graphic design remote jobs. Signing up on this site would give you the benefit of receiving timely alerts on your email with filters.
This works best if you cannot find the time and memory to check the site often. Although a majority of the job positions on this site lean towards UX design, product design, and other related fields of technology, several great graphic design positions are also available.
10. Remotely Awesome Jobs – Mike Desjardins, a remote worker, started Remotely Awesome Jobs. This website displays Mike’s 10 favorite remote job boards every day. These boards have a great variety of remote graphic design jobs. One of the major advantages of the site is that you do not have to sign up for membership.
You can access the frequently updated feed whenever you want. However, the drawback of Remotely Awesome Jobs is that 10 is a very small number of jobs to get displayed. You could use this site as a starting point before venturing into the others.
11. Dribbble Jobs – Dribbble Jobs is a website that was born from a company that has been catering to designers for almost a decade. This has always been a great platform for graphic designers to showcase their work for clients and other designers. The job board on Dribbble lets you find great remote jobs in graphic designing from all over the world. You can choose whether you wish to work in a contract, part-time, or full-time basis.
12. Authentic Jobs – Authentic Jobs does live up to its name. It is known for providing authentic remote jobs to people from across the globe. Founded by Cameron Moll, this site has many full-time job positions. There are also several fascinating part-time and contract positions for side hustlers.
13. Working Nomads – Most of the job positions that get displayed on Working Nomads are full-time positions. The graphic design category of this website is enormous. It also posts part-time and contract positions for graphic designing from time to time. You can find them through the “Search” option.
As the website was founded by a few nomadic workers who traveled from city to city and worked anywhere in the world, the list of remote graphic design job positions mentioned on it are of great quality.
14. Remote OK – A quality site for finding every kind of remote job, including remote graphic design jobs, Remote OK provides a board of good companies for you to apply to. The list gets updated frequently.
15. Freelance Graphic Design Jobs from Home – Freelance Graphic Design Jobs from Home is not a website. It is a Facebook group. Although it is not a great source of remote graphic design jobs, several decent job positions do get shared here. You must have a Facebook account to be a part of this group. To know immediately when a job position is available, you can adjust your Facebook alert settings and be the first to know of it.
Top resume elements of remote graphic design jobs
There are certain elements that you can’t miss to include in a work of remotely graphic design jobs. So, include these top resume elements of remote graphic design jobs to get the perfect opportunity.
- Don’t miss to include a separate section that can show your complete profile as a graphic designer.
- Try to include a separate box that may include your top achievements as a graphic designer.
- It is very important for people who are looking for remote web design jobs to add their key skills and capabilities to their resume.
- You can also include a separate section to showcase your technical proficiency.
Remote graphic design jobs pay structures
Most candidates who are looking for offsite graphic design jobs get worried about remote graphic design jobs to pay structures. But, the truth is you don’t need to get worried as graphic designers get good salary packages as per their skills and experience. People who get graphic design jobs remote and who are working as beginners earn an average compensation of $43,519 per year.
Candidates with 5-9 years of experience get a salary package of $49,619 per year. An experienced graphic designer with more than 10-years of experience can earn up to $50,884 per year. On average, employees have an average package of $52,639 if they have more than 20 years of experience.
Entry level remote graphic design jobs
If you have just started your career, you can get positions like Junior graphic designer, instructional designer, and mobile graphic designer. Entry-level part-time design jobs can help you get average compensation of $40,595 each year. You will need basic skills of Canva, Photoshop, and different Adobe tools to start working as a junior or entry-level graphic designer.
Do your research, build a portfolio, and start searching for the best remote graphic design jobs now!
Can you work remotely as a graphic designer?
Yes, a graphic designer can get different positions if he/she wants to work remotely from the comfort of their home. They can work remotely by applying to a design agency, or they can start working by getting different freelance projects. As per a recent survey, the graphic designing industry is growing at a rate of 2.7%, and it is a $14.8 billion industry. Thus, you can get numerous opportunities if you want to work remotely.
Is graphic design a dying career?
No, graphic designing is not a dying career, especially in the present time of the digital revolution. In fact, 67% of businesses feel that the importance of graphic designing for businesses will grow exponentially in the coming five years.
What are the highest paying graphic design jobs?
The positions of creative service manager and Art director are the highest paying graphic designer jobs. They earn an average income of $86,250 for these positions. Some of the other high paying positions include creative director and UX director and designer.
What jobs can you get with a graphic design qualification?
You can work in different industries and sectors with a graphic design qualification. You can get employed in an ad agency, design studio, and even a web designing firm. You can get positions like senior graphic designer, UI & UX designer, web designer, animation designer, and creative designer.
Do graphic designers get paid well?
Yes, all graphic designers get paid well. The average compensation for an entry-level graphic designer is $40,595 each year. If you have the right skills and creativity, you will be paid well in all types of graphic designing jobs.
Is graphic design a good side hustle?
Yes, if you are looking for a side hustle opportunity, graphic designing can offer you multiple opportunities. You will get the opportunity to be creative even if you want to work remotely. Thus, for people who are looking for a part-time job, graphic design can offer multiple opportunities.
Can I work from home as a graphic designer?
Yes, you can work from home as a graphic designer.
Where can I find remote graphic design jobs?
Remote graphic design jobs can be found on sites like FlexJobs and unremot.com.
How do graphic designers work remotely?
Graphic designers can work remotely either by applying to a design agency or by starting a freelance business.
How do I get into graphic design with no experience?
You can get into graphic design by taking courses, investing in design tools, mastering the software, and understanding the business of design.