Many professional writers want a functional or combination resume format to display their writings to their employers. These resume formats highlight more skill than the chronological work history of a writer. In such creative jobs like the content writer, you need to have a creative resume.
Writer Resume – what should it include?
The writers can create fiction and non-fiction content like novels, poetry, short stories, scripts, newspaper article, web content, and blogs.
The common things a writer resume should include are reviewing work, reading other people’s content, meeting tight deadlines, networking with other content writers, and publication opportunities identification.
In the resume, the writers should demonstrate their excellent skills in grammar, editing, proofreading, computer competencies, network abilities, imagination skills, time management.
The majority of writers have bachelor’s and master’s degrees in English. There is no need to have any professional education mandatory to become a professional content writer.
Technical Writer Resume Sample
Effective tips to prepare a technical writer resume 100% guarantee to get a job,
- Mention expertise skills while writing a resume as a technical writer
- Mention your objectives and goals, as every organization wants an employee with a clear mindset
- Highlight your skills and awards in the resume that matches the job requirements
- You should write about education background, skills and writing knowledge
Technical Writer Resume in Word Format
Utah • (321) 123-4567
Innovative & highly organize technical writer with 13 years of experience. Expert knowledge of computer science and can write highly technical content for the audience.
CORAL SPRINGS STATE UNIVERSITY
Aug ’03 – May ’06: Master Engineering Degree in Technical Communication & IT
2006 – 2008: TRADETT, Staff Technical Writer
- Handled team of 3 Technical Writer
- Create 4 new user guides (200+ pages each) for property development software products
- Co-author of the company’s first technical work
- Develop product documentation of end-user and work in tight deadlines
2008 – Current: CRANY & JENKINS, Senior Technical Content Writer
- Knowledge of preparing tutorial content and press releases
- Work of SMEs, IT help desk, and network development team
- Have written 200+ tutorials and SOP content for the company
- Work in tight deadlines to meet the target of the company
- Microsoft Office expert level knowledge
- Hemmingway readability tester
- Grammarly tool for editing
Entry Level Technical Writer Resume Sample
You are planning to start your career as a technical writer fresher. Then, your resume should have the following things. You should have coding knowledge applying for particular jobs related to coding and software development content.
What should you include in preparing the resume of entry level technical writer?
- Mention your skills clearly in the resume
- Details about your educational qualification, technical knowledge, and writing skills in separate sections
- Do not forget to write about your career objective
- Your resume for the fresher technical writer should include your name, interests, and objective statement
Entry Level Technical Writer Resume in Word Format
Los Angeles, California
Mobile: (902) 123-4567
Email Address: AWashington@email.com
Writing Portfolio: MarthaJohnson.com/writing portfolio
TECHNICAL WRITER (Strong References)
- Recently graduate in English & Mass Communication from Florida State University
- Flexible content writer and can write on multiple platforms
- Work under pressure and tight deadlines
- Grammar Knowledge
2013 – 2015: Web Content Writer, MG Fund Services
Placement via Florida State University
- Prepare target content for a consumer website
- Develop tutorials and emails for the company
- Brand series articles for MG FUND SERVICES
2010 – 2013: BA in Mass Communication & English, Florida State University
- Intro to Communication
- Target Web Analysis
- Content Management Systems
- Editing in a particular style
- Proofreading Content
- Research Content
- Create proper content tone and level
- Grammar Checking of content
- HTML5 Basic Coding
- Adobe PDF, Joomla CMS
- MS Office
- Infographics Tools & Software
- Windows platform
Sample Resume for Content Writer
Tips to prepare a writer resume are as follow,
- The writing should be concise and free from errors.
- You have to provide the links to your sample content in your portfolio.
- The writer should focus on how to target their readers with the content.
- Do not forget your fluency with Content Management System (CMS) and other related software for content writing.
- Mention the niches in which you have written content in the past and work experience.
Content Writer resume template in Word Format
Phone: +1 (555) 123 4567
05.10.2014 – present: Senior Writer, New York, NY
- Review the work of other content writers working with content
- Prepare content strategies with the team
- Regularly connect with the team to review their plans and clear their doubts
- Prepare pitches and research for content
- Prepare reports and send them to the senior management team about the work
02.02.2011 – 01.10.2014: RFP WRITER, Chicago, IL
- Assist the knowledge management team in preparing the database
- Prepare sale copies for the company
- Maintain records and collaborate with the senior management team in risk meetings
2007 – 2011: Bachelor’s Degree in English, Stanford University
Resume Writer Job Description
The resume writer prepares the summaries of the professional qualification of the person looking for a job. They have to use correct words while listing the applicants’ educational qualifications and work experience. How do I write a resume for a content writer?
- Choose a suitable content writer resume format
- The resume is captivating and compelling
- Mention your objective of becoming a content writer
- Share details of your professional experience
- You can boost your achievements in the professional achievements section
Also Read: Best resume software
What is a writer’s CV?
A writer’s CV is a traditional CV that is about your achievements and writings. You can mention your achievements in the CV. It is a quick way for an organization to overview your work.
What skills should a content writer have?
- Knowledge of Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Research on keyword
- Writing original content and grammar knowledge
- Proper communication with team
- Social Media Platforms Knowledge
How would you describe yourself as a content writer?
Judging yourself is a tough thing. In companies, the writers prepare their self-appraisal. They mention their niche, improvements, and research on a particular topic. Many people honestly describe themselves as a writer.
How do you write technical content writing resume?
Technical writers should highlight their strong writing and communication skills.
- Make a professional header title, name, email, phone, and LinkedIn id.
- Mention only your city and state.
- Create categories like work experience in the resume.
- Use fonts Calibri.
What does a technical writer do?
A technical writer prepares technical documents in a simple way. They write journal articles, supporting documentation, instruction manuals, and guides. Technical writers work for organizations creating and distributing technical documents.
What skills does a technical writer need?
Skills needed to become a technical writer are:
- Able to prepare content correctly
- Problem-solving and troubleshooting ability
- Technology Knowledge
- A person can showcase graphic knowledge ideas
- Able to interact with SMEs
What are some examples of technical writing?
Common examples of technical writing are,
- Software Installation Guides
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
- Legal Disclaimers
- Company Documents
- Business Plan
- Annual Report
- Release Notes
Is technical writing a good career?
In some skills, like UX/UI and software development technical writing is a good career choice. The person should have knowledge of social media and content strategy as it is an essential part. Read more about technical writing and its prospects here at basics of technical writing.