Looking for the best remote video editing jobs? Here’s the best place to start your search – read about top companies hiring, skills needed, salaries.
What are remote video editing jobs?
Video editing is a profession by which a person can modify and edit different parts of a video. Several software is available in the market to aid the process. Remote video editing jobs are nowadays in great demand. Television channels, film producers and directors, academic firms, and company corporates are constantly looking for a freelance video editor.
Now the question is, “How to become a freelance video editor?”
In this article, we will extensively talk about qualifications and certifications required for remote video editing jobs, careers in video editing, and where to search for remote video editing jobs. The opportunity for freelance video editing jobs is not less, important is to tap the right market potential.
Owing to the growth of the gig economy, there is a great need for more marketing video content. With developments in software that make remote collaboration simple, more and more talented video editors are turning away from their in-person jobs to remote video editing jobs.
You may want to work for yourself full time and set your own hours — or you may want to travel the globe when editing videos for clients remotely. There are legitimate factors that could make you think of becoming a freelance video editor.
However, leaving the traditional office job for a freelance video editor job can be quite scary and stressful. This article is here to help you make a smooth transition in these demanding times.
Market opportunity for remote video editing jobs
Freelance video editor jobs are increasing at a rapid space. As per the studies and analysis were done by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, a growth of about 18% is expected in the field of freelance video editing, between 2019 and 2029. The percentage is substantially higher than other similar occupations.
The increase in the number of online video editing jobs depends largely on the number of shows hosted by different media channels and educational companies as well. They mostly rely on Internet-based communication services and hence live streaming or video sessions are the key activities. Hence the demand for freelance video editors is constantly on the rise.
The average salary of a video editing freelance expert varies between USD 64K and USD 70K per annum. There are variations in terms of experience, educational level, skills and regions in the world. It is advisable to obtain additional certification or enroll in additional learning courses to fair well while appearing in an interview for video editing freelancing.
The key benefit of being employed as a video editor freelancer is you can easily work from home independently leveraging the various advanced software and tools. Educational qualifications are not tough and are achievable, allowing you to venture into video editing careers.
Job titles and career paths under remote video editing jobs
What are the available jobs for video editor, in fact, the job titles and roles? The key job titles for remote video editing jobs from home are,
1. A Film Editor
Entrusted to record raw videos of movie scenes for editing and introducing special effects and continuation in the overall story. The average salary is USD 50K per annum. The film and video editor jobs are expected to grow at a rate of 14%.
2. A Television Studio Editor
Their main duty is to stitch interviews, news footage, sport events, etc into a single video for broadcasting in television. Television video editing works demand faster execution. The average salary of a television video editor freelance is USD 57K per annum. The growth is same of that of film editing freelance video jobs.
3. Multimedia Artist and Animator
Responsible for editing videos applicable to be showcased in the internet, related to films, animations, storyboards etc. The average salary of multimedia jobs in video editing is USD 55K per year. The growth is 4% comparatively less than others.
4. Broadcast and Sound engineering technicians
Assist and support in remote video editing jobs online by adding special effects. The average salary is USD 53K per year. The growth rate of this particular online video editor job is 8%.
Once you have gained sufficient experience and have fared well in your job and learning, you can rise to the role of a senior video editor with an average salary of USD 65K per annum.
5. Other specializations in remote video editing jobs
- YouTube video editor jobs
- Music video editor jobs
- Post-production editing jobs
- Wedding video editor jobs
- Film editing jobs
- Short film video editor jobs
- Movie editor jobs
- Google video editor jobs
- Microsoft video editor jobs
- Video production jobs
- News video editor jobs
- TV video production jobs
- HD video editor jobs
- Green screen video editor jobs
- Video clip editor jobs
Remote video editing jobs roles and responsibilities
It is very important to know the remote video editor job description before making an application. It is usually the duty of video editors to edit and assemble captured raw material into a suitable, final piece that is ready for broadcast.
Photo and video footage, speech, sound effects, graphics, and special effects should be included according to requirements. The responsibilities of a remote video editor,
- Communicate with customers to identify the desired look and feel for the video that is to be made.
- Collect and move all media types into editing software and ensure that each of them has been updated in the appropriate format.
- Operate computer editing systems for digital processing and effects.
- Set a clear picture of the plot and intent of making the film.
- Create an original concept video storyboard draft to send to customers and get approval before starting to digitally modify the film.
- Use different video editing tools to enhance the video and sound quality.
- Edit video to include pre-selected songs, interviews, audio files, and other elements of the main project.
- Ensure that the finished videos are formatted and presented correctly according to your client’s requirements
- Understanding the objectives of the screenplay or the shows to be featured
- Analyze the script of the video received for the editing activities
- Gather the specifications required for the video for further editing
- Capture the raw video clips or the camera pictures to be converted into a seamless video screen or show
- Ensure smooth transition of the video clips with proper synchronization of audio and special effects
- Sequencing the end to end video composition introducing narrations, headlines as needed
- Ensure the quality of the video is high with proper resolution and exposure.
- Introducing innovative techniques and graphic design throughout the video for better visibility and acceptance
- Embedding appropriate music or commentary as needed depending on the type of video to be showcased.
- Bring in transitions between the video clips as per the continuity needed
- Checking the mix of colors and shading effects in the entire video to ensure consistency
- Ensure the company’s brand awareness and strategy is intertwined into the video
The opportunities available for remote video editing jobs
- Full-time – If you choose full-time remote video editor jobs, you will be expected to dedicate every working day to one company only.
- Part-time – If you choose part-time remote video editor jobs, you will have to work for only a few hours. You can be a freelance video editor with this option.
- Contracts – In contract remote video editor jobs, you will have to provide your service to a company for a particular time duration as mentioned in the contract.
Also Read: Remote editing jobs | A complete guide
Qualification needed for remote video editor jobs
The educational or academic qualifications needed for a video editing job be it entry level video production jobs or at the experienced level, are illustrated below,
- Bachelor’s Degree in Fine Arts For Films and Video Production – Students learn about film and video editing, directing, and cinematography. They need to complete a project at the end of the curriculum
- Master’s Degree in Fine Arts for Films and Video Production – This is not a mandatory degree, but can be obtained for better salary and roles. At the end of the course, you need to complete an editing project
Now when we have understood how to be a freelance video editor, let us now find out the best colleges or universities offering degrees to strive well in video editor careers.
- The University of New Orleans at Louisiana has a department of Film and Theatre
- Western Colorado Community College, offering courses in Digital filmmaking
- Biola University at California, specializing in cinema and media arts
- The University of Colorado at Denver has a film and television department
- The University of North Alabama in Florence, offering degrees in film and digital media production
- Scottsdale Community College in Arizona has a department for Film and Theatre
- Arizona State University is a reputed school for theatre and film
- Academy of Art University at San Francisco is a school for motion pictures and television
- The renowned American Film Institute at Los Angeles in California
- Chapman University at Orange in California. The department is popularly known as the Lawrence and Kristina Dodge College of Film and Media Arts.
Remote video editor job skills
To land a great job, you will require the following remote video editor job skills,
1. Communication and storyboard skills
The key to success as a remote video editor is to recognize the best ways to tell stories by editing and improving videos. You need to see the video clip from your target market’s eyes and take into account exactly how your edits will affect the story you are conveying.
Also, when you reply quickly to their emails, current clients (and potential clients) will rely on you. This does not mean that you have to sit all day waiting for an email on your computer, or fire off a super quick reply the second you get an email.
However, it does mean that you have to find a way to make yourself accessible and prioritize communication. These skills are very relevant, especially when you are working remotely.
One of the best pieces of advice is to have faith in your work. If you cannot persuade yourself you can do a job, then you cannot expect a client to feel that comfortable in you either.
There is nothing wrong with being modest, but you need to be able to tell a client precisely why you are the right person for a job when required. First, make sure you can do the job and then ensure that your client understands it as well.
3. Creativity and video editing skills
This line of work includes being creative, innovative, and techno-savvy. You can only end up becoming a great video clip editor if you have a style for creative video editing.
Enhancing your skills according to the latest technological developments taking place in your professional field is very essential. Sound awareness will be useful for video editing applications such as Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Final Cut Pro, among others.
4. Pace regulation skills
You are going to spend a lot of time on your computer. Trying to speed along is very tempting because you want to see the final product on your screen. Avoid placing many “test” DVDs in your home office space.
They are really expensive and it is not advisable to play every draft of your video editing process on the screen. You can rather preview it as you go through your NLE software. Also, invest in surround speakers 5.1 for your computer if you intend to make 5.1 sound DVDs as you need to constantly test and change sounds to get the desired effect.
5. Multitasking skills
Production houses are increasingly interested in working with a remote video clip editor who is a team player with the ability to work independently as well as multi-task under tight schedules. You must also have the ability to troubleshoot, solve problems, and remain calm under pressure.
Certifications to get remote video editing jobs
For both entry level video editing jobs and experienced video editors jobs, additional certifications will add in greater chances of being considered for video editing projects. A list of certifications and learning courses related to remote video editing jobs,
- A Bootcamp course on complete video production offered by Udemy. The duration is for 9 hours with 75 lectures, full lifetime access of the learning material, and 14 downloadable resources
- Video Editing Class in Premiere on Pro CC for Beginners offered by Udemy. The duration of the course is for 11.5 hours with 129 lectures, 8 articles, 14 downloadable resources and 8 articles
- Video Editing Course for learning final cut Pro X offered by Udemy. The duration is for 6.5 hours with 114 lectures and full time access to the course materials
- Free Video Editing Classes & Courses Online provided by Skillshare. It is a self-paced learning course with interactive content, practical exercises and instructors for tips, advice and best practices
- A complete guide on Adobe Premiere Pro CC Video Editing Course offered by CreativeLive. It is also self-paced comprising of 65 lessons and certifications for analysing the credibility.
- Video Editing Training study material, tutorials, practical exercises and lectures available in LinkedIn
Requirements for remote video editing jobs
The following are the requirements for freelance video editing jobs,
1. Leave the traditional office job
It takes courage, above all, to shift to full-time freelance or dive into your own work. Those who make the switch are in search of flexibility in the hours and places they work, or the opportunity to do the type of work they really enjoy. There will be frightening moments when you might think about quitting your job.
You should worry about how you will meet ends and what will happen if you lose a major client. To land good work from home video editing jobs, it is necessary for you to leave your traditional office job but take all the learning experiences and achievements it gave to you so that you can succeed.
2. Transition requirements
Here are some tips for handling the transitional phase between full-time office work and the freedom of work from home video editing jobs,
- Make sure you have a financial security net (two to three months of expenses) saved to help you handle the transition before you make the leap.
- If your online video editing jobs are seasonal, make sure that you do not quit your day job during a lean time for freelance practice.
- Consider asking your current employer if you can work part-time to make the transition happen smoothly.
- It is highly recommended that you build rapport with your own clients before you quit the office job.
Tip: Before you start freelancing, ensure that you have a minimum of two to three clients who can provide you with regular work.
3. Explore your field
Networks that are developed locally are generally the most rewarding, professionally, and personally. These networks can sometimes lead to opportunities for online video editing jobs and some other times, they can lead to creative discussions. Apart from local connections, you can also interact with individuals and teams who belong to your creative space.
For example, if you want to work remote YouTube video editor jobs, discover where your peers hang out online. Doing so will help you get to know them and you can deepen your networks through thoughtful blog comments and emails.
4. Enhance your video editing skills
You must have a Bachelor’s degree in video editing or a related degree. Before applying to remote video editing jobs, understand the level of your remote video editing skills. If you feel that you do not have sufficient skills, invest in professional video editing courses. If there are any new or evolving trends, ensure that you learn about them so that you can provide the best service to your clients.
5. Increase your versatility
Whether it is an environment in which you do not feel like a major expert or the work appears to be below your current level, remote video editing jobs may mean doing work that is not exactly up your alley.
Most videographers, for example, would film weddings because they are readily available and appear to pay well. Although this may not be your favorite form of video editing job, it may help to build a secure base that will allow you to do more of what you enjoy.
You might need to extend the types of work you are able to do when you start freelancing. Make sure you split your work into various focal points. There is work you will do to keep the bills covered, and there is work you will do that makes you feel truly happy.
Over time, you may move more and more towards the work that really fulfills you, but you may need to initially compromise by taking up remote video production jobs that are readily available at your fingertips.
6. Become creative with ways to make money
There are so many different ways to make money from remote video production jobs. Make sure that the chances you take are a little creative. Exploring Reddit forums for new ideas and resources, selling some of your videos, and offering your video skills to a non-profit agency are a few ideas that are a little out of the ordinary. You are in the creative field, so be creative with money-making!
7. Set up necessary systems
How do you keep your company running and growing when you begin taking on more work? The results you give your customers is much less time consuming than building up your brand itself. You have to think about systems or ways to build job routines.
Without such systems in place, chaos and confusion will occur. Here are some practices you can take into account when working on remote video editing jobs,
- Consider utilizing a project management system and collaboration tools, such as unremot, Trello, Basecamp, or Asana to simultaneously track several clients and projects.
- Split your time carefully between tasks such as administrative work (e-mail responses, invoice issuance) and the actual editing work that helps you deliver results to your customers.
- Create an onboard checklist to help new clients acclimatize to the way they will have to work with you.
8. Build your home office space
Remote video editing jobs require a lot of focus and concentration. Ensure that you have a quiet room for your work and organize your equipment well. Design your home office space in a way that can maximize your productivity.
Steer clear from any minor and major distractions. Make it clear to your roommates, family members, or friends not to step into your office space when you are working.
9. Get your own professional video editing software
Create a list of the equipment and tools you will require to launch and take off your remote video editing job. If you decide to use a great video editing software such as Adobe Creative Cloud, you will need a powerful computer that has adequate RAM, an external hard drive, a high-resolution video camera, quality graphics, and headphones.
Top 10 tools needed for remote video editing jobs
Freelance or work from home video editor must be equipped with the relevant tools or software for smooth operations. Now, how to get video editing experience in working with these tools?
There are self-learning guides provided on the internet plus on-job experience are the answers. Let us check the top 10 tools required for video editing remote jobs,
- Adobe Premiere Pro – One of the best tools for video editing work, compatible with both Windows and Mac platforms.
- Final Cut Pro X – For Mac users, it is the best tool for freelance video work with multi-cam editing features
- Corel VideoStudio Ultimate – Affordable and best tool for video editor work, good for Windows platform with real-time effects features
- Filmora – To excel in a video editing freelance job, one of the best tools to be leveraged and compatible with both Windows and Mac.
- CyberLink PowerDirector 19 – Best Windows tool for work from home video editing jobs providing multi-cam editing and motion tracking
- Pinnacle Studio 24 – Jobs for video editors will be eased considerably with the use of this software. It has multi-camera capture and editing features.
- Vimeo Create – For web based video editor jobs or social media video freelancing jobs, Vimeo is a widely used tool with a huge collection of templates and stock content
- KineMaster – For a professional video editor looking for work, KineMaster is the best option available in smart devices leveraging Android and iOS operating systems
- DaVinci Resolve – One of the best tools for video editor jobs online, compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux with great color correction features and multi-user collaboration
- Lightworks – Compatible with Windows, Linux, and Mac, it is one of the popular tools in jobs for video editing
Top 25 dream companies for remote video editing jobs
“How to get a job as a video editor?” Here is a list of the companies to apply for both experienced and entry level video editor jobs. The companies post full time, contract based or part time video editing jobs listing on various job boards or websites.
- Vox Media headquartered in Washington is a media company founded in 2003
- Dovel Technologies located in Miami, Florida offer video editor roles
- Yelp, a US public company at San Francisco in California
- Urban Influence, situated in Seattle, specializing in graphic and web design
- Cella, an award company in the US for creative marketing and digital development
- Spartan Records, a company based in Seattle and a recording label
- The University of Washington, a public research university founded in 1861
- Atmosphere TV, a leading cable and free streaming TV in the world
- StudioBinder, specializing in web-based TV, video, and film production software
- Eventdone LLC, a company in Virginia, specializing in event management
- Sinclair Broadcast Group at Maryland is an American telecommunications company
- Egnyte, a software company in California, for file and content sharing and data governance
- Studio71, a leading media company in the US for video editor jobs from home
- Bethesda Game Studios, a video game developer in the US located in Maryland, offering video editor freelance jobs
- Sirius XM Holdings Inc is a US broadcasting company in New York, providing opportunities for online video editor jobs
- Berning Marketing, broadcasting, and media production company in Los Angeles, providing video editing contracts
- Guaranty Media is a radio broadcasting company providing both experienced and entry level video editor jobs
- Harvard University at Boston often requiring educational video editor work from home professionals
- Paper Street Media at Miami in Florida offering several video editing positions
- Nexstar Broadcasting at Nashville for applying in video editing freelance jobs
- New York Post, a daily newspaper in US, providing opportunities of becoming a freelance video editor
- SoFi Stadium and Hollywood Park in Inglewood, California, is a sports and entertainment complex. You can find opportunities for remote video editing jobs freelance in many job boards
- Impact Networking, LLC, in Illinois, is a company providing strategic services. If you want to apply for video editor jobs online, then you can check the company roles.
- KRGV-TV at Weslaco in Texas offering opportunities for freelance and remote video editor jobs
- Universal Music Group, located at Santa Monica in California, is a leading music company in the world. You can check its website for video editor remote jobs
Where to find remote video editing jobs?
You can find the best remote video editing jobs through the following online job boards,
- Simply Hired
- Working Nomads
Tip: Before making an application, understand a company’s requirements and evaluate if you have the relevant skills and experience to meet them.
Also Read: Remote animation jobs | A complete guide
Significant elements of a resume for remote video editing work
- Personal information including name, age, gender, nationality, and contact details.
- A professional overview detailing your experience, qualifications, and candidacy. In two to four lines, list the most definitive features applicable to the work role you are applying for.
- Present your objectives so that the recruiter knows what you want to learn from his or her business and what your contribution would be.
- Highlight the skills that you have which are important for remote video editing work.
- It is necessary to mention your educational qualifications.
- Include any additional certifications or training.
- Mention all of your work experiences with video editing along with their assigned duties.
- Write about your video editing-related accomplishments.
- Please state your interests.
- Offer references which are valid and legitimate.
- Attach samples of your best work in the form of an appealing video portfolio.
Once you have gathered all the skills needed for remote video editing jobs and have a strong resume, you can start your search.
How much does a film editor make?
Your curiosity would definitely ask you how much does a film editor make. Film editing is undoubtedly a lucrative career in India and abroad. In India, beginner film editors earn as much as INR 9,00,000 per year. Senior film editors obtain even better salaries.
If you are eager to know, “How to make money editing videos?” Then first and foremost you must be aware of how much you can get paid to edit videos? The answer to your questions is to understand the video editing pay structure.
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average hourly rate of video editing job online is USD 40. For remote video editing jobs no experience or entry level video editing, the salary varies between USD 35K and USD 40K per annum. A video editing job from home for an experienced professional can rise to USD 80K per annum.
The salary varies based on educational qualifications and skillsets. It can go low to about USD 20 per hour for an entry level video editor and as high as USD 40 per hour for video editor remote jobs. On average you can say, the salary of a video editor job is USD 58K per annum.
In the US, in New York City the average salary for video editing jobs remote is approximately USD 70K, which is high compared to other cities in the US. The next state in the US with high pay structures for full time and part time editing jobs from home, is California.
Entry level remote video editing jobs
“How to make money video editing with zero or less experience?” A common question for majority of freshers or aspirants for video editor freelance jobs. You can either have an Associate’s Degree in video editing or a Bachelor’s Degree in video editing to secure remote video editing jobs. You can earn USD 20 per hour for entry level film editing jobs.
It is suggested to attend learning courses, and attend online trainings if you sincerely want to make money editing videos. Besides, you must prepare video editing gigs to enhance your profile. Companies hiring for entry level video jobs look for video gigs for shortlisting candidates.
Do video editors make good money?
Yes, full time and part time editing jobs from home are on demand. The result is a considerable increase in a video editor job, providing opportunities to earn a salary between USD 40K and USD 80K in a year. A growth of about 18% is expected for jobs video editor through 2029.
How do I get a job in video editing?
First and foremost acquire a Bachelor’s Degree in Video editing. Undergo learning courses or try for on job video editing training. Register your profile on job websites and search for “video editor jobs near me”. Apply for jobs as per your skills and preferences and prepare for the interviews.
How can I make money by editing videos?
If you want to edit videos for money, fix your hourly rates. Register and log in to the different job portals and search for “video editing jobs near me”. You can earn USD 20 per hour if you are a fresher. As you gain experience, you can rise to the role of a senior video editor and earn up to USD 70 per hour.
Is there a high demand for video editors?
Freelance video editor website, film and social media specialists are high in demand. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics specifies a high growth rate of 18% in the demand for remote video editing professionals. Job opportunities are on the rise with companies focusing on promotions through video interactive sessions and live streaming.
How much should I charge for editing a video?
If you want to know how to be a video editor and charge for it, well it depends on your experience, skillset, and location. The hourly rates for entry level video editing jobs vary between USD 20 and USD 40. If the video editor wanted and in demand by companies require experience and you fit into it, you must charge hourly rates between USD 50 and 70.
Is video editing easy?
Editing videos vary from simple to complex depending on the type of remote video editing jobs and the brand. But however tough they might be, it is super fun to execute the job as it involves creativity. The processes once learned and adopted are fairly comfortable to execute and deliver.
What remote jobs can you get with video editing?
Some of the remote positions you can obtain with video editing are –
- Film editor
- Television studio editor
- YouTube video editor
- Music video editor
How much does a freelance video editor make?
A freelance video editor can make anywhere between INR 9,00,00 to INR 40,00,000 per annum.
Is there a degree for video editing?
A: Colleges with a video editing department offer Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA), Bachelor of Arts (BA), or Bachelor of Science (BSc) degrees in this field. Certifications and associates degrees for multimedia and video production are also available.