Learning is limitless, the more you immerse into it the more your knowledge meter enhances. Teachers and Tutors lead us into the path of learning and teaching.
A noble and respectful profession, imbibing tons of potential information in us for our betterment. Traditionally we know of teachers and tutors associated with any school, college, university, or any institution. But the modern world has much more to this profession, introducing numerous online courses and sessions for students worldwide through remote learning. Focused tutoring on a particular subject, or for an individual student or group of students are now preferred by many parents. Academic institutes and educational companies hence are now hiring significantly for online tutoring jobs.
Tutoring is slightly different from teaching in terms of the intended audience and the mode of education. In this article, we will read about teaching vs tutoring, the skills and qualifications required to apply for online tutoring jobs, the duties and responsibilities of an online tutor and the various websites offering online tutor jobs.
Read: What is remote working?
Teaching vs Tutoring
Tutors focus on creating a specific academic plan for a student or a group of students. Teachers essentially focus on a fixed curriculum for a specific age group or grade of students. Let us analyze further the key differences between teaching and tutoring.
- Teachers educate a group of students, with varying levels of intelligence and learning abilities. Tutors have the privilege to segregate sessions based on the students’ academic qualities and efficiency. This liberty enables them to connect with the students well, understanding their drawbacks and provide dedicated attention for improvement
- Teachers generally impart education to students of the same age group, preferably of the same grade. Extra-curricular activities or SUPW classes may, however, involve students of different age groups, but are essentially segregated into junior and senior divisions. Tutors, however, educate students of varying age groups. Their key objective is the topic which may be a concern for students of various age levels, though not entertaining wide variations.
- Teachers need to follow a fixed date and time for their classes. Even the students attending are the same for all the classes. For Tutors, the concept is bit different. They can host online sessions at different dates and times, offering flexibility to attend the classes on weekdays or out of school hours. A student can opt the tutorial sessions as an additional incentive for acquiring information beyond what we taught in their regular school classes.
Suggested read: Remote education jobs | How To Land Remote Education Jobs
The Skills required for Online Tutoring Jobs
1. Student or Learner Management
Absence of face to face interactions with students or learners is challenging for online tutors. They need to focus on motivating and engaging the attendees to continue to seek their attention. The courses and the curriculum must be planned and circulated among the students to set the agenda for the sessions. Interactions by pointing out practical examples, seeking additional information from the students and question-answer sessions are very important tools to ensure the attendees are engaged. The learners must be monitored based on their online interactions and assignments.
Did you know?
A tutor can gain the trust and confidence of his or her students by interpersonal relations and a strong grasp on the subject.
Prepare the online sessions to combine use cases, short videos, assignments, and clarification sessions to ensure students remain active throughout the entire duration.
2. Excellent Communication Skills
Success in online tutoring jobs depends a lot on how you communicate with your students or learners. The communication can be on the subject details or entertaining interactions with the students. You must be verbally fluent with the language and must articulate your points and thoughts in clear and concise terms. Your voice needs to be loud and clear, perfectly audible via the online audio and video conferencing tools and systems. Promptness in answering the queries from the students determines the efficiency and knowledge level of online tutors. Additionally, you need to moderate your voice pitch and frequency to prevent monotonous communication.
It is recommended to practice speaking in an empty room imagining the furniture as the audience as a preparation for the online sessions. This simple but effective technique has been beneficial to many remote or online professionals working from home.
Fluency in communication is considered one of the essential tutoring job skills. It is advisable not to neglect or avoid this quality.
3. Proficiency in the Subject or Topic
Online tutors are generally hired for a specific subject or a group of subjects on which they are proficient and expert. Students depend fully on the knowledge level of the tutors and expect to receive correct and appropriate information on the subjects. Hence one of the key tutoring job skills is to acquire expertise and adequate knowledge on the subject of concern. Each topic must be substantiated with use cases, facts, figures and practical examples. These aspects generate interest within the students, providing them with the ability to relate with their daily life, the regular outside world and practices.
Before initiating any online session, it is recommended to be thorough on each of the topics within the curriculum. You can refer to free online tutoring books or resources for acquiring additional information for the benefit of yourself as well as the students.
4. Efficient Course Planning
Online tutoring companies prefer efficient and optimal online course organization and management to plan out the sessions well. While hiring for online tutoring jobs, they prefer good planning skills. Planning the courses covering all the relevant topics to fit into the specified duration is a key criterion for success as an online tutor.
The plan must be subdivided into the lectures from the tutors, demonstration of use cases, online videos if any, online assignments or exit tests and question-answer sessions. Each task must be allocated a certain duration and attempt must be made to strictly follow the allotted time. Additional discussion topics or clarifications arising in the sessions on an adhoc basis must be deferred to the follow-up sessions or sorted via email communications or one on one sessions.
Various tools and applications are available on the internet to create planners as well as for managing time. It is advised to use them for effective planning and organization.
5. Technical Knowhow
Online tutoring jobs demand to work remotely from home or a co-working space. They need to continuously leverage online applications and tools to interact with the students and learners, sometimes from various regions of the world. Maintaining updated software and hardware for laptops or desktops are important to ensure appropriate quality and consistency in communications and conversations. Continuous internet connectivity is essential for conducting smooth and seamless online classroom sessions or learning courses without any disruptions. Unless you possess adequate knowledge of the latest updates in software, hardware, audio, and video conferencing tools, it will pose difficulty in organizing and managing the sessions.
It is recommended to test and check your installed applications and network connectivity before initiating any sessions or courses. Unnecessary disturbances invite distractions among the attendees, leading to significant attention loss.
6. Leverage Online Resources for learning and tutoring
Learning and Tutoring or Teaching have undergone significant improvement in the modern era. It is essentially due to the inventions of various innovative ways to impart education among students. Learning through problem-solving, sharing experiences, use case demonstration is gaining prominence. As an online tutor, it is your responsibility to find out the relevant resources and utilize them in your sessions. These resources are proven methods used to increase the knowledge level and the attention of the students in an online classroom session.
Attend public or private forums on online tutoring for awareness of the latest developments and improvements in the academic world.
How to Become a Tutor?
Before applying for online tutor jobs, you need to understand the steps on how to become a tutor.
1. Graduation Degree
Online tutors need to clear their graduation degree on the subject of their specialization. It can be a diploma as well, yet it is advisable to pursue a Bachelor’s or a Master’s degree for additional expertise on the subjects.
2. Training for Tutors
Several training courses are available for tutors to guide them in the smooth execution of their jobs. For providing efficient tutoring services, it is highly recommended to attain these courses. You can either attend classroom-based training sessions or online sessions.
In addition to your academic degree, it is better to acquire certification related to tutoring. These certifications assist in adopting advanced strategies and techniques for conducting online tutorial services.
4. Member of Tutoring Associations
There are many tutorial associations or communities for providing guidance and support to professionals aspiring for online and work from home tutoring jobs. It is advised to be a member of such associations for better connect with experts and fellow tutors. Socializing and networking will provide you with better opportunities in seeking the best online tutoring jobs.
5. Decide your Academic Domain
An online tutor can not essentially impart education on multiple subjects. It is important to judge yourself and decide which track to select while applying for online tutoring jobs. It is recommended to select subjects related to your educational qualifications and professional certifications.
6. Search job opportunities in websites
Internet is filled with numerous websites offering the best online tutoring jobs posted by various online tutorial companies or academic institutes. You need to review each of the job titles based on your preference and skillset and apply for them. In this article, we will cover the prominent job websites providing online and remote tutoring jobs, for your easy reference and guidance.
Duties and Responsibilities of an Online Tutor
The duties, roles and responsibilities of an online tutor are many, some of the key ones are highlighted below:
- Analyze the requirements of the students and learners through surveys, feedback or the requirements provided by the online tutorial companies or academic institutes
- Design the tutorial sessions to cater to the needs of the students and their aspirations
- Devise innovation strategies and latest techniques in designing the courses or sessions
- Suggest and recommend trending latest topics to the company’s management, as an offering to learners
- Create monitoring mechanisms for evaluating a student’s performance
- Send online assignments to the students for revision and self-judging the preparedness in a particular topic or subject
- Involve in one on one interactions to provide specific guidance on a particular lesson
- Impart motivational and inspirational messages to students to generate interest in studying and acquiring knowledge
- Mediate any clashes or deviations between students, ensuring a peaceful and friendly atmosphere in the classroom
- Maintain the diversity within the students and ensure harmony throughout the entire session duration
- Generate reliability, trust and confidence among the students leading to a better student teacher relationship
- Ensure conducting interactive classes through use case demonstration, and live videos
- Avoid negating queries from students. Even the simplest of clarifications must be answered with grace and dignity, thereby ensuring the value of each student attending the online session
- Provide feedback and guidance on the performance of each student, encouraging one on one interaction if needed
Never discriminate between students based on their intelligence level or learning ability. Ensure the confidentiality of your students is maintained even while not conducting classes.
Qualifications required to apply for Online Tutoring Jobs
The basic qualifications that are needed for online or work from home tutoring jobs are enlisted here:
- A Diploma or a Graduation degree from a university or institute
- Certification in Tutoring or Teaching
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work for flexible hours based on the type of employment
- Proficient in handling software, hardware and infrastructure for operating remotely from home or any co-working space
- Knowledge on the specialized subject or subjects for which the person is hired for remote tutoring jobs
- For experienced online tutors, showcase the capabilities through answering specific interview questions
- Expertise on the latest and upcoming trends and resources in online tutoring with the ability to suggest and apply them in the daily work
Websites offering opportunities for Online Assistant Jobs
Various tutoring and educational companies, and academic institutes are nowadays offering multiple job opportunities for online and work from home tutors. They post ample online tutoring jobs for beginners as well as for the experienced professionals. They even post online tutoring jobs for teens, wherein they can work from home and earn money while pursuing their studies. Whether you want to be an online Math tutor, online English tutor or in any other subjects like Science, History etc., there is no dearth of jobs.
The companies hire people from various regions of the world depending on the subjects on which the candidates are specialized. You can register and create a profile on the websites and upload your resume for recruiters to scan through your profile and consider recruitment. The jobs can be searched based on location, type of employment, salary, or companies. The companies also provide free online tutoring guides and resources for assisting and supporting the online tutors. Some of the key websites offering a listing of online tutoring jobs are enlisted below for your quick reference:
- The Balance Careers
The recommendation is to review the companies posting the jobs and also the job descriptions carefully before applying for the jobs. If you have any query then it is better to ask before by contacting the job website customer care or directly the company posting the job.
Further read: Guide to conducting attending Remote Interviews
The job market for online tutors has increased remarkably due to the increasing demand from parents and students. Competitive exams demand additional knowledge other than what is taught in the regular daily classes. Besides, some students need extra guidance and support in understanding a particular subject. These requirements are practical and necessitate help from online tutors.
The other benefit of online tutoring is flexibility and availability. The classes are mainly conducted to accommodate the weekends or off-school hours. The durations are also flexible and adjustable. One on one interaction is possible between the student and the tutor, which is demanded by many parents and their children.
People are relying on the online tutoring system and facilities considerably due to the innovative methods and techniques adopted in imparting education to the students. Video demonstrations and sharing practical examples are a boon in enhancing the knowledge level of the students. More and more people are demanding the need for online tutoring over and above the education provided in the schools. Therefore various academic institutes and online learning companies are providing various educational packages in the form of online tutoring to the learners and students. There are substantial demands on an online Math tutor, online Science tutor, online Arts and Crafts tutor and many more.
Hope this article has provided you sufficient guidance for online tutoring jobs and the proficiencies required to be an online tutor.