Are you into the space of education? Passionate about remote education jobs? Here’s the right starting point for you – read on!
The traditional classroom method of training augmented with modern digital online learning has been found to significantly enhance the knowledge level of the students. The realization of the benefits derived from the online courses and lectures have substantially increased the demand for remote education jobs.
With appropriate qualification on the specialization subjects and additional certification and degree in education, you can opt for remote education jobs. Online teaching jobs on various subjects are now being sought by different educational institutions and academic firms.
By adopting the qualifications and remote education job skills, you can apply for job opportunities. In this article, we will discuss the different types of online tutoring jobs, the qualifications and skills required as a pre-requisite and the different websites where you can apply for remote education jobs.
Market Opportunity for Remote Education Jobs
In the coronavirus pandemic, many higher education institutions are giving online education to students. Therefore, there is a huge demand for hiring online educators for remote education jobs.
In the USA, many reputed institutions such as AdmissionsConsultants, Pearson, Chegg Tutors, Capella University, and Southern New Hampshire University. Online teaching job is the third most popular profession in the United States.
Since 2018, many companies are giving online teaching jobs to people. With technological advancement, students can learn different courses residing in any part of the world.
According to a recent survey conducted, the average salary of an online educator is $80,000. After getting experience, online teachers can earn $90,000 – $105,000.
Online teaching positions, teach online jobs, online remote jobs, online adjunct faculty jobs, virtual teaching jobs, online school jobs, university jobs near me, online teacher jobs, online university teaching jobs, adjunct online teaching jobs, part time online teaching jobs, online education jobs, teaching online jobs and online teaching jobs are highly demanding jobs now.
Also Read: What is remote working?
Job types and career paths of remote education jobs
The below is a summary of possible job titles and career paths of remote education jobs.
1. Online Tutor
The duties of an online tutor are to conduct tutorial lessons on various subjects on an individual basis or in groups. You can have your educational business initiative or maybe a part of an educational institute offering tutorial lessons. Several competitive exams and certifications demand additional guidance, suggestions, tips, and practice sessions. Online tutors have a big role to play in such kinds of sessions.
2. Online Teacher
Product training and corporate learning programs are mostly conducted online. These are provided in packages of 2 to 5 days duration and require online teachers. Product vendors and corporates have dedicated Learning departments where experienced teaching staff are recruited for conducting online learning courses. They have attendees from various regions of the world, hence they prefer online training sessions.
3. Curriculum Developer
Designing the curriculum for a specific course is an art in itself. You need to create the narration for the course materials with a storyline supporting the flow. A curriculum developer requires the skill to ensure that the course material contains the entire information, facts, figures, and use cases required to strengthen the concepts. But in doing so he or she needs to avoid monotony keeping in mind the remote factor.
4. Academic Content Writer or Editor
Hosting an online learning portal is followed by almost all Corporates, universities, and academic institutions. The basic purpose is to record web-based learning and training materials for the employees and students. Hence there are ample job opportunities for academic content writers or editors to create and design web-based courses and training programs. Certain educational websites also look for content writers for preparing resources, blogs, and articles.
5. Educational Consultant
One part of remote education jobs is to teach students and the other part is to train the teachers and tutors for conducting the job efficiently. That’s exactly where the role of an educational consultant fits in. You can open your firm providing educational consulting services to budding teachers or join a consultancy firm too. The role is considered very prestigious in the academic world.
Some of the positions for those who are aspiring remote education jobs are online teaching jobs college, online adjunct teaching jobs, online adjunct faculty job, online adjunct instructor jobs, online faculty jobs, online adjunct professor jobs, adjunct professor jobs online, online faculty jobs, online adjunct instructors jobs, adjunct professor online, online higher education jobs, online adjunct faculty, full time online teaching jobs, adjunct teaching jobs online, online remote teaching jobs, and online college instructor jobs.
Qualification Needed for Remote Education Jobs
Many people want to know what educational qualifications are required to become a remote educator. You need to meet the academic requirements to get remote educator jobs.
- To become a K-12 teacher, you need to have a bachelor’s degree in a particular subject. Then, enroll yourself in incompetent educational courses.
- Some universities offer single-subject courses for students who want to become professional online educators.
- The educational technology coursework covers emergent technologies. Many schools use online tools and software to teach children. Therefore, the teachers should learn the use of tools like Google Classroom.
- The remote teachers should the knowledge to use hardware technologies to attend the children during the virtual classes.
Must read: 8 Simple ways to organize your life
Key skills required for remote education jobs
Below is a list of key skills needed for remote education jobs,
1. Deep Thinking
Teachers and educationists must mandatorily possess the ability to think critically and in details. They have to understand the deep meaning behind each concept and subject and then impart the same to the students. A teacher who can convey the intricacies of any topic to his or her student in clear, concise and simple terms is respected and appreciated. Hence online teaching jobs demand an individual with deep thinking and convincing power.
Important Fact: Online classes are carried out remotely without any face-to-face interactions and physical presence. Unless the instructor interacts with the students and provides an extra effort to explain the concepts methodically with examples and facts, the sessions will eventually turn out to be very boring and monotonous. Therefore one of the critical remote education job requirements is the Critical and Deep analysis and thinking power of online tutors.
2. Communication Skills
Written and oral communication is both vital for any kind of remote jobs and remote education jobs are not an exception. Online teachers need to impart their instructions in such a way the students understand the concepts clearly. To successfully achieve the same, they need to possess strong communication skills.
Even their facial expressions and body languages form a part of effective communication abilities. Correction of assignments and preparing progress reports illustrate the written communication capabilities of a tutor.
Important Tips: Several online courses are available to enhance your communication skills and language speaking abilities, in case you feel you lack in these aspects. So before you apply for online teaching jobs, it is advisable to gear up your communication skills as it is one of the essential remote educational job requirements.
3. Organization and Planning Capabilities
When courses are offered online, the number of participants or students attending is normally more than a classroom. That is the advantage of conducting remote online classes which provide the privilege of accommodating many students in one session. But controlling a large number of students effectively in one session is an art that requires perfect organization and planning skills.
An online course may have multiple sessions, that need to be divided into a fixed number of days with assigned topics. Educational institutions and academic firms look for efficient planning, organization, and monitoring skills while hiring for remote education jobs.
Important Tips: Several online planning tools and applications are available nowadays for remote working. You can browse through them on the internet and leverage them while conducting online classes.
4. Effective Time Management
While working remotely, online instructors and tutors not only need to manage time for conducting their online classes but also the rest of the day. Planning for future sessions, checking assignments, preparing tasks for students and self-learning also need to be assigned a specific timeframe for accomplishing them.
Other than the academic tasks, there are certain activities like personal well-being, vacations, family time, outing with friends, etc. that need adequate focus and attention. These non-academic activities are an essential part of remote working, else you may stress out yourselves. Effective time management forms one of the critical parts of remote education job requirements.
Important Tips: Within the planning tools and applications, a special feature for effective time management is normally provided by the product vendors. You can either utilize them or invest in online time management tools.
5. Technology Skills
Attaining adequate expertise in installing and utilizing various online applications and tools is one of the important remote education job skills. Understanding the basic details of the computer, operating system versions, and the installed applications in your laptop or desktop are required for remote online educational training.
Since most of the activities related to remote education jobs will be done online and at your home or a co-working space, knowledge of effective utilization of the latest technologies is essential. Additionally, you need to be aware of online video and audio conferencing tools and applications to conduct the sessions.
Important Tips: Ensure your internet connectivity is good and doesn’t trip while conducting classes remotely. Frequent disconnects disturb the flow of the training or instructions and eventually, the students may lose focus and interest. The microphone and video quality must also be tested for clarity before initiating the classes.
6. Leadership Qualities
While an online tutor or teacher needs to possess deep and detailed knowledge on the subject under his or her purview, additionally acquiring leadership qualities will benefit in the long run. Interacting with students, mentoring them to stay motivated, handling conflicts in a session, coordinating with fellow instructors, and conversing with the institute’s management are the leadership qualities for remote education jobs.
Important Fact: The more you acquire and be proficient in leadership skills, the more you advance in your career. It is an additional feather to your achievement and consideration by the higher management.
7. Strong Teamwork Abilities
Teachers and tutors working remotely need more collaboration and interpersonal relations with their peers and supervisors than their fellow educationists who are physically present at the institute premises. Accepting corrections from supervisors and suggestions or recommendations from peers or subject experts are essential to building up a strong team.
It is difficult to survive in a remote educational system without the support and guidance of the other members of your team. Interpersonal relations are also strengthened, eventually leading to trust and confidence.
Important Tips: Learn to be patient and composed while working in a team. There may be a difference in opinions, but listening to others and skillfully presenting your facts and thoughts judge your interest to work in a team.
8. Managing cultural diversity
While conducting classes and courses remotely, often you need to interact with students from different cultural backgrounds and countries. The language speaking abilities of all may not be the same and all may not be able to convey their thoughts in a similar scale and frequency.
You need to understand the concerns, be patient, and assist them in their queries and clarifications. Very importantly, you need to maintain a balance in the class while meeting the expectations of all.
Important Fact: A teacher who understands and feels the concern of all students can establish connections easily, which eventually assists in conducting the classes smoothly.
Self-confidence is an essential qualification in any job we are involved in. Remote professionals need more self-confidence especially since they are working online and often interacting without realizing the opposite person’s facial expressions. It’s tough and challenging which applies to remote education jobs as well.
Speaking with confidence while imparting your lectures, instructions, and training notes portrays your grasp of the subject matter. Students feel assured and will show interest in your classes.
Important Tips: In the beginning, you may find it difficult to concentrate or may feel nervous while conducting online classes. Therefore it is recommended to check various suggestions by experts on how to develop self-confidence. A good and proven method is to treat the walls of your room as the audience and practice your speech in front of them.
Roles & responsibilities of remote education jobs
The roles and responsibilities of a teacher are vital to ensure the online development of children. An educator is a role model to influence other students’ lives. For an online teacher, it is important to follow all things so that they can explain things to the students easily.
- Prepared planned instruction and improve learning: The duty of an online professor is to prepare the learning plans and instructions for the students. During their virtual classes, it is learning for them to teach the children and improve the learning process.
- Diagnosis of the learning needs of students: Online Instructors should check the learning needs to the children during the class. Many students are not able to understand a particular topic. The teacher should use different ways to explain concepts to the children.
- Prescribe on-time content delivery to students: The instructor should plan the content to teach in the class. Then, he or she should make sure that all contents have delivered in the class to the children on time.
- Assessing the learning process: One of the most important responsibilities of the online instructor is to see that the children are able to understand the concepts taught in the class. The best way is to discuss things with them after the class and try to solve their queries on time.
- Reporting administrators outcomes of parents and guardians: Children coming for the virtual classes. They have to appear in the tests organized by their teachers. Continuous evaluation plays a vital role to know the growth and development of children. Moreover, the class instructor should regularly discuss things with the parents and guardians of the children attending the class.
- Evaluating instruction effects: The teacher should make sure that the children should follow all the instructions. During the class, they should know the importance of maintaining discipline and following the instructions when the teacher is teaching a particular concept to them.
Certification to get remote education jobs
Learning is continuous for teachers. For remote teaching jobs, educators need to have a strong influence on their teaching methods. Online educators have to help the students to understand the concepts easily. Many reputed organizations are offering short-term and long-term online courses for remote educators. They can choose any of them and learn new things that can help in their online classes.
- Computational Thinking and Block Programming K-12 Education Coursera
- TEFL Proficiency University of California San Diego
- Teacher Toolbox Series Course by Arizona State University
- Academic Skills for University Success by Coursera
- TEFL Special Studies University of California San Diego
- Virtual Teaching Course UC Division of Continuing Education Online
- Teaching Impacts of Technology in K-12 Education UC San Diego
- TEFL Professional Certificate University of California
- Leading Ambitious Teaching and Learning University of Michigan
- English Grammar Course at University of California San Diego
Top 10 tools needed for remote education jobs
Distance learning tools and software are essential for the teachers that they can use in their digital classroom. With the help of these tools, the teachers can connect with the students located in any part of the world.
The online adjunct applying for education remote jobs, online instructor jobs, college instructor jobs, remote higher educator jobs, community college teaching jobs, online instructor positions and online adjunct teaching jobs community colleges should know about the tools used in the remote education jobs.
Therefore, the 10 tools needed by the teachers for remote education Jobs are,
- Google Classroom: Robust and free to use tool useful for online faculty jobs. Google offers a paperless office suite for consumers and businesses. Google Classroom is a tool using it the teachers can prepare their online classroom with a particular student’s batch.
- Pear Deck: The online educators looking for more competent communication than Pear Deck is a good option for them. The basic things in this tool are always free. You need some added features and take the premium version.
- Blackboard: This tool is best for preparing assignments for school students and doing their grading. Blackboard is available 30-days trial free. You can contact the company to get a premium version.
- Coursera: There is nothing like Coursera to teach the school and college-going children. It offers several online courses paid and free.
- Canvas: A learning management platform that is beneficial for K-12. Using the app, the parents can check the assignments of their kids. Canvas basic account is free for students.
- Edpuzzle: It is a useful tool for online educators for preparing teaching videos for their children. The basic account is free for children and teachers.
- Khan Academy: It is a popular learning place for educators and students. The teachers can prepare and customize assignments to meet the online learning objectives.
- Edmodo: This is a mobile-friendly platform for sending messages, sharing assignments, creating quizzes, and tracking students’ grades. Edmodo is free to use.
- Socrative: This tool has simplified the way so that the teachers can get students feedback. The teacher can monitor their virtual using Socrative. Moreover, the basic package of this tool is free.
- Loom: Are you looking for a simple app to capture screens during classrooms? Then, Loom is the perfect option for you to record, narrate, and share lectures. You can easily connect with the students during the class. The pro plan of this app is free forever for teachers and students.
Top 25 dream companies for remote education jobs
Various teaching jobs require educational qualifications and work experience. You want to work as an online professor. Then, 25 companies offering remote education jobs in the USA,
- AdmissionsConsultants: A consultancy company guides children about admissions.
- Aim-for-A-tutoring: An online tutoring platform that teaches Maths, English, Science, and entrance exam preparation.
- American Public University System: This institution provides higher education.
- Argosy University and South University Online: An online college hires online faculty to teach graduate and postgraduate courses.
- BrainMass: A company prepares online questions for entrance examinations.
- California Virtual Academics: It is a network of public charter schools to provide special education K-12.
- Capella University: Capella University provides online college-level course study material.
- Chegg Tutors: Online platforms that help to connect students with teachers.
- Connections Academy: This academy provides virtual courses for K-12 students.
- Creative English Solutions (CES): CES is an organization that prepares the test material for TOEFL and TOEIC entrance tests.
- Educate, Inc. (Sylvan Learning Centers): It is the parent company of Sylvan Learning Centers. Furthermore, it gives online tuitions in K-12.
- ETS: An organization does the scoring and evaluation of the tests TOEIC, TOEFL, Praxis, and GRE programs.
- eTutor World: It provides online tutoring services to the students of classes 5 to 12.
- GetEducated: An organization provides rankings and ratings to distance learning institutions.
- Gofluent: Gofluent teaches the students English online.
- Homework Tutoring: The Company does online tutoring for college and school students.
- Herzing University: It is an online college in Wisconsin.
- Instructional Connections: The role of this company is to provide instructional support to colleges and universities.
- John Hopkins Center for Talented Youth (CTY): An online tutoring organization that provides study material to class 3-12 students.
- K12: This Company prepares study materials for the schools.
- Kaplan: This organization provides online tutoring on college-level subjects and entrance tests.
- Laureate Education, Inc: An online education developer for Kendall College, NewSchool of Architecture & Design, College of Santa Fe, and Laureate Higher Education Group.
- Manhattan GMAT: The company offers online live courses and private tutoring.
- Pearson: An online test development company hires tutors, freelance writers, and graphic designers.
- Southern New Hampshire University: This is a private university in New Hampshire that provides online teaching graduate and postgraduate courses.
Websites offering Remote Education Jobs
Be it online English teaching jobs, math teaching jobs, adjunct professor jobs, or any other educational skilled jobs, the website is the answer to everything. It hosts job listings from various companies, providing multiple filter features while browsing for jobs.
You can shortlist the jobs based on salary, type of job – full-time, part-time, contract, internship, etc., education level, subject, location, company, and experience level.
The website hosts both online and remote education jobs. Based on your requirements, qualification, experience level, and expertise, you can search for online math teaching jobs, English teaching jobs, professor or faculty jobs, and many more.
You can browse through the entire listing of jobs based on priority. Else you can filter the search results by keywords, employment type, job role, etc. The website also contains helpful resources, tips, and news on the educational jobs front.
If you are looking for online adjunct professor jobs or instructor jobs, Math and English teaching jobs or teaching jobs related to any other subjects, SimplyHired provides you with a good list of jobs. You can even enter your email address for receiving job alerts on various remote education jobs. The search criteria can be filtered by date, job type, and salary.
FlexJobs is one of the biggest reliable platforms to search for online English tutor jobs, teaching jobs related to various subjects, consultancy jobs, and even adjunct professor and instructor jobs. You can find the current job listings on their jobs landing page.
For applying to the preferred jobs, you need to sign up and create a profile on the website. You can also find online university jobs or jobs from colleges hiring freelance, remote, work from home, part-time, full-time academic professionals.
The website is specially dedicated to education jobs. You can search for online math teaching jobs, English teaching jobs, jobs for science and other subjects, professor and lecturer jobs. You need to search by entering the job title, keyword, or location.
The jobs landing page also displays the key opportunities for you to easily scan and browse through them. The list displays the job title, location, date, and company name.
The website hosts both experienced and entry-level remote and telecommuting education jobs. Listings for online adjunct professor jobs, adjunct faculty jobs, academic coaches, content writers, and many other job titles are available in its online job portal.
You can create a profile on the website and start browsing for the jobs. It allows saving the job details and description to your profile to revisit and apply for the same.
It is one of the most reliable and best job sites for searching online English teaching jobs, Jobs for teaching Maths, Science and other subjects, other professor and instructor jobs. Depending on your flexibility to work as a full-time professional or part-time, jobs are listed on their online job portal.
You can search by entering any keyword or a company’s name on their webpage. Additionally, the website also lists online university jobs and job opportunities from various colleges and academic institutions.
The website lists online English tutor jobs, Maths teaching jobs, remote jobs for professors, lecturers, instructors, and many other job opportunities to work from home. The jobs are displayed on the landing page along with the company names and keywords. The Apply button is present against each job title on the landing page itself for ease.
Further read: How to work from home successfully?
Remote education jobs pay structures
The education field is among the top career areas where you can work remotely. Professionals find it rewarding. For a broader look, you can check the pay structures for online teach positions. Remote Education Jobs that pay you well are,
- Associate Scientific Director: $120,000 annually
- Client Partner: $60,000-$120,000 yearly salary
- Director of Curatorial Services: $70,000-$80,000 annual pay
- Environmental Management: $80,000 salary
- Inside Account Executive: $100,000 salary for full-time role
- IT Program Chair Software Development: IT Director average pay scale is $115,145
- Nursing Program Chairperson: Annual Program Director Salary $82,000
Entry level remote education jobs
The candidates applying for the online faculty jobs should have the required certifications to secure their remote teaching job. At the entry level, the job seekers need to face much competition. Many candidates are looking for work from home teaching jobs. Teaching and tutoring jobs are the third-largest categories providing remote jobs.
The companies are actively hiring candidates for 100% online teaching jobs since 2018 in the USA. You gain experience while working in a teaching role in a company. Then, it is easy for you to try to experience teaching jobs in the future. There is not much competition left for experienced job positions.