Software development methodologies are many in number. Agile software development corresponds to methodologies in software development based on the concept in iterative development.
Through this, challenges and approaches emerge by the cooperation of self-organizing cross-functional teams. In Agile development, the ultimate advantage is that it allows teams to produce value quicker. It gets done with better efficiency and predictability, and a greater ability to adapt to change. Scrum and Kanban are two of the Agile methodologies that are used frequently. Scrum is a very widely used process framework for Agile. Therefore, the number of jobs are so many. Scrum masters can easily find remote jobs. In this guide, you will find all the necessary information for remote scrum master jobs.
What is scrum?
Scrum is an Agile sub-set. It is a lightweight process system, perhaps the most commonly used one. Scrum is most frequently used to handle dynamic software and product creation using iterative and systematic processes. It improves efficiency dramatically and decreases time to profits relative to the classic “waterfall” processes. Scrum processes allow organizations to adjust smoothly to requirements that change rapidly and produce a product that meets evolving business objectives.
The organization profits from an agile Scrum process by enabling the following:
- Boost the efficiency of the yields
- Cope with transition well (and anticipating changes)
- Provide accurate forecasts while taking less time to produce them
- Be more in charge of the timetable of the project
There are several opportunities for scrum master jobs in India. Understand the requirements and apply to the best companies offering scrum master jobs remote!
Scrum master job description
It is very important to know the scrum master job description before applying to work from home scrum master jobs. The ScrumMaster (sometimes written as “Scrum Master”, but the official term, after “Scrum”, has no space) is the cycle keeper. The ScrumMaster is vital to the smooth operation of the process, avoiding barriers impacting efficiency, and coordinating and encouraging the crucial meetings.
The responsibilities of work from home scrum master jobs include
- Educate the Product Owner on how to optimize return on investment (ROI) and accomplish his/her goals using Scrum.
- Better the development team’s lives by promoting innovation and empowerment.
- Boost the development team’s productivity in every way possible.
- Develop engineering processes and tools such that there is scope for delivering some improvement in functionality.
- Regularly update the team’s success reports and make them available to all stakeholders.
Practically speaking, the ScrumMaster needs to know Scrum well enough to educate and train the other roles. He/she must also tutor and assist other stakeholders involved. The ScrumMaster must have a consistent understanding of the project’s status (its progress till date) comparable to the expected progress. He/she must investigate and enable the resolution of any barriers that hold back progress, and typically be sufficiently flexible to identify and address any issues that may arise. The ScrumMaster must safeguard the team by acting as the interface against disturbance from other people.
Team members are not given assignments by the ScrumMaster since work management is the responsibility of the team. The general strategy of the ScrumMaster towards the team is to promote and enable their decision-making and problem-solving skills. This is done so that they can operate with increasing productivity and supervision. The primary objective is to have a team that is empowered not only to make important decisions but also to do so well and routinely.
Scrum Master vs Project manager
Scrum master and project manager are two very common terms in industries. You must understand the dynamics of scrum master vs project manager before applying to either of these job positions. Such an awareness will help you make choices suited to your skills and needs.
The Scrum Master is a person who makes sure that Scrum principles are followed. During agile projects, he/she ensures that the scrum team adheres to the “Scrum.” On the other hand, a Project Manager has a large power span. He/she leads various departments to achieve the result of a complex project. A project manager not only encourages the attainment of maximum productivity by his/her project team but also engages in many other project tasks. Project Managers work in a less risky environment as compared to Scrum Masters.
Similarities between a scrum master and a project manager
- Both always think about the success of the team and find opportunities to boost the productivity of the team.
- Scrum Master works with the facilitation and coaching team and a Project Manager is also works with the team to resolve team problems and conflicts.
- Both functions are not the final authority to decide on the specifications of the product. Scrum Master helps a Product Owner with handling the backlog of products. A Project Manager seeks input from the client or other parties including the management or stakeholders involved.
- Scrum Master and Project Manager require critical skill sets as well as years of experience and practice to function best.
- Both of these positions face a lot of problems in business and are challenging.
- Scrum Master and Project Manager recognize the product value and thus. Stick to quality work at all times.
Differences between a scrum master and a project manager
- A Scrum Master implements the scrum rules rigidly and endorses the scrum system. Project managers are able to configure their approach, varying from waterfall to adaptive approaches. Selection of an appropriate solution is dependent on demand from the client.
- Agile scrum master jobs mainly contribute to the expertise fields of assets management, quality control, and scope maintenance. A project manager contributes to all ten project management information fields.
- In smaller scrum teams, a Scrum Master works. He/she is accountable for the scrum team’s results. In comparison, a project manager manages a much larger team. He/she oversees several project teams. Thus, unlike Scrum Master, Project Manager is responsible for the performance of the different project teams.
- Regular scrum sessions are organized by those with a position in agile scrum master jobs. A project manager plans a calendar and coordination schedule for the sessions. The Project Manager makes the duration of these project meetings well known and scheduled.
- Project manager sets the project members’ daily schedule and sets assignments. Scrum managers coach and motivate the team on scrum.
- Program managers ensure that project job periods are designed and organized. For certain cases, they require baselining the budget for the initiative. Scrum managers are more concerned with optimizing the usefulness of the product, based on consumer stories.
- Both of these positions require different expertise and, thus, need different certifications. A project manager pursues Project Management positions with PMP or Prince2 certifications. Scrum master remote jobs need you to have a scrum alliance certification.
- Both positions are sector-specific. Generally, scrum master remote jobs function in the IT or similar sectors, while a project managers work in a project that may belong to any industry.
Scrum master job requirements
The following are the scrum master job requirements –
- X Years of Scrum Master experience, or similar role.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or a similar field.
- X years of experience performing the role of ScrumMaster for a software development team.
- Certified ScrumMaster (CSM), Certified Scrum Professional (CSP) or Certified Product Owner (CSPO) training.
- X Years of experience in Agile methods, patterns, and strategies.
- X Years of experience in Agile techniques like User Stories, ATDD, TDD, BDD, Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing, Agile Games, and the like.
- A sense of ownership and confidence in your performance and its possible effect on the success of the company.
- Critical thinking and conflict management skills.
- Leadership and teamwork skills.
- Time management skills.
- Interpersonal and communication skills.
Let your remote workspace resemble a traditional office space with minimal distractions and sufficiency of resources.
Skills for remote scrum master jobs
Hard skills for scrum master jobs
There is some required professional preparation that must be undertaken by Scrum Masters before they are able to take on this leadership role.
1. Scrum and Agile training
The key aim of having a Scrum Master is to ensure the team meets Scrum and Agile ‘s guidance effectively. Although the Scrum theory sounds clear and straightforward, it comes with its own collection of terms and phrases that leaders need to learn to make good use of the structure. Knowledge of these structures and terminologies is completely necessary. Numerous online programs offer Scrum Certification programs focusing on the best practices to be used to fuel team collaboration and success. Being a Certified Scrum Master shows a deep knowledge of the Scrum principles. It provides a degree of competence that goes beyond a traditional project manager or team member. Getting this form of training will have a significant effect on the whole team’s progress.
Did you know?
Studies have found that 81 percent of Scrum Masters that have been certified agree that it has greatly helped improve their practice.
2. Organizational skills
Another important skill that must be acquired for remote scrum master jobs is the ability to execute a precisely balanced management structure. To keep everything organized, scrum teams require structure and planning. Therefore, scrum masters have to plan in a way that helps everyone stay on track. While scrum leaders should themselves be organized, this skill goes beyond just how to keep your home desk clean and tidy. It is the duty of remote scrum master jobs to keep the entire team on track and to ensure that no work assignments escape notice. That is why more Agile and Scrum managers are turning to electronic project management software to help keep the whole team involved and coordinated. Nutcache is one such project management tool.
Use Slack to communicate effectively with your remote team.
3. Technical skills
Yet another remote scrum master jobs’ key responsibilities is to collaborate with the Product Owner to create a method that helps the team to execute activities efficiently. This does require some technological experience and preparation. Scrum is designed to help teams create software development systems with minimum roadblocks. Scrum Masters must have an understanding of the existing technical terms and processes. To add to this training, Scrum Masters are required to obtain the Certified Scrum Developer certification to improve their Agile product development skills.
Soft skills for Scrum master jobs
85% of the success in software development using scrum depends on soft skills.
1. Coaching skills
A big part of the role of the remote scrum master jobs is to ensure everyone in the team implements Agile processes properly. Strong teaching skills are therefore required particularly for teams who are new to the Scrum system. Not only does a perfect Scrum Master know what to do, but he must be able to articulate the how and why to those concerned. While the Scrum Masters remain part of the team, they also play a coach position. They encourage members to develop their skills and work together. No-one understands the qualities and shortcomings of a team leader better than a fantastic mentor. So, Scrum Masters will operate in the same manner for the individual expertise of those concerned to optimize the team’s potential.
2. Conflict management skills
Scrum teams are made up of individuals with different ideas, personalities, and work styles, which may occasionally lead to conflict. If the team leaders themselves can not settle a conflict, it is up to the Scrum Master to find a way to patch up any obvious issues that might possibly hinder the progress of the project. Teams often have to compromise to find a way to fix the problem at hand, so a responsibility of remote scrum master jobs is to be an expert negotiator and facilitator.
Scrum Masters have a range of valuable techniques to use to maneuver through dispute management. However, the leaders themselves need to develop the necessary leadership skills to work through these conflicts and find alternatives that work for all.
3. Leadership skills
The best leaders show, instead of telling. They lead by example in order of words, and are willing to jump in and do their fair share of the work. Research has found that organizations with members that demonstrate the characteristics of servant leadership have more fulfilled staff over time and lower unemployment rates. Servant leadership is about putting the whole team’s interests above the individual’s and making people succeed to the best of their abilities. Remote scrum master jobs require one to demonstrate this especially valuable characteristic by behaving as a leader of the team and doing their best to accomplish the tasks at hand.
Often, the Scrum Master plays a significant role in both, becoming a leader and a member of the team. By adhering to the Scrum guidelines, they are responsible for guiding the entire development team through the process. But, they have no special authority as a manager might have. Therefore, an excellent Scrum Master will direct and inspire their team to work together without delay, by demonstrating a servant leadership style.
Use JIRA Workflow to visualize the workflow of your remote project.
Essential elements in a remote scrum master resume
It is really necessary to have a strong resume when applying to remote scrum master jobs.
The components that go into the resume are as below
- Personal information including name, age, gender, nationality and contact details.
- A summary of your experience, qualifications, and candidature. List the most definitive scrum master role-specific features in two to four lines.
- List your objectives so the recruiter knows what you expect to learn and what your value to his or her company will be.
- Highlight the skills which are necessary for remote scrum master jobs.
- Type out your educational qualifications.
- Provide details of any additional training or certifications.
- Type out with their assigned duties all of your scrum master work experiences.
- Write about your achievements in scrum master work.
- Do indicate your interests.
- Give accurate and valid references.
Top companies offering scrum master jobs remotely
Here is a list of the best remote scrum master jobs in India and abroad –
- Light Professional IT Services LLC
- Growth 360
- Allegis Services India Pvt. Ltd.
- Dell International Services India
- Standard Chartered Bank
- DST Worldwide Services India Pvt. Ltd.
- Morgan Stanley Advantage Services Pvt. Ltd.
- Zscaler Softech India Pvt. Ltd.
Best Online job boards
You can find the best remote scrum master jobs in these popular online job boards,
- Glass Door
- Simply Hired
- Flex Jobs
- Working Nomads
- Remote OK
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Can a scrum master work remotely?
A: Yes, a scrum master can work remotely.
2. Are remote scrum masters in demand?
A: Agile is becoming a popular practice in the digital world. Therefore, remote scrum masters are currently in great demand.
3. How do I become a remote scrum master?
A: To become a remote scrum master, you must avail a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, IT, or a related field; learn agile and scrum; get additional scrum master certifications; and gather technical, conflict management, and communication skills.
4. What are remote scrum master jobs?
A: Remote scrum master jobs involve the management of development teams so that they function according to scrum and agile principles.
5. Where can remote scrum master jobs be found?
A: Remote scrum master jobs can be found on online job boards such as Glass Door and Indeed.