Looking out for a WordPress developer? Need to know how and where to find the best candidates? Here is a comprehensive guide to finding the best WordPress developers. Read on!
WordPress is a content management system to create a website or blog. The tool has become extremely popular. 39.5% of all websites on the internet use WordPress. WordPress is an open-source content management system allowing users to manage different aspects of their website.
If you want to build your website using WordPress, it gives the flexibility to use multiple plugins and themes already available or develop an entirely new website with custom designs. We will elaborate on the difference between a WordPress developer and a designer.
Also Read: Hire Android developers | Everything you must know
What is a WordPress developer?
What is a WordPress designer?
A WordPress designer will convert design concepts into WordPress themes to install on your website. The designer can change the look and feel of your website without changing any functionality of the website.
In case you are here to learn more to hire WordPress developers, read our blog to get valuable insights that will help you find a WordPress developer. We will attempt to answer your questions, such as how much do WordPress developers make? or how to be a WordPress developer?
Also Read: Hire front end developers | Know before you start
Market for WordPress Developer
WordPress developers have a positive job outlook. WordPress enjoys a large market share for website hosting. The Bureau of Labor Statistics does not track wp developer separately but if we study statistics for web developers to estimate the market for WordPress developers. According to the BLS, the web development job market will grow by 13% by 2028.
There are over 200 million websites powered by WordPress. WordPress has over ten thousand themes and plugins. These can save considerable costs and time in development time. As user behavior on the internet evolves there will be a requirement for more themes and plugins. In the future experts believe WordPress developers and WordPress designers will continue to work on,
Also Read: Hire PHP Developers | A priceless list of tips to succeed
Things to note while hiring a WordPress Developer
There are several things to consider when WordPress developer for hire. Define what WordPress developer means to your firm is. We are sharing the top ten things you need to note who WordPress programmers for hire are,
- Sound Technical Experience – WordPress freelance developers need to be adept at using MySQL, HTML/XHMTL, CSS, and PHP.
- Quest for learning – Before you hire WordPress developers, you need to ascertain if they are interested in improving their skill set. WordPress developer jobs require developers to keep abreast of the latest technological advancements.
- Maintenance and post-development – Websites today are not static. A Word press developer and WordPress website designer need to keep track of post-development and maintenance activity. Plugins and Themes should continue to work after they get updated.
- Knowledge of web security – A developer needs to aware of various threats (SQL interjections, Cross-site scripting attacks, password theft, etc.). Threats can result in loss of data or revenue.
- SEO Knowledge – A developer should have a basic knowledge and understanding of SEO.
- Effective Communication – Web development is a team exercise and collaborative work. WordPress developer jobs require collaboration with various teams in the organization.
- Ability to work with a budget – A developer needs to understand how a budget can impact delivery and website.
- Find a portfolio you love – WordPress for developers or WordPress web designers should have a portfolio that showcases their skills. Alternatively, they can have a WordPress developer blog to show their programming skills.
- Experience in the business – When you want to hire a WordPress developer, look for a candidate who has experience in the website you want to build and list out all the features you want to add to your website.
- Choose the type of WordPress Developer you want to hire – You can choose to hire a WordPress freelancer, or WordPress consultants, or in-house web developer WordPress.
Also Read: Hiring video editors | A comprehensive guide for beginners
Qualifications of best WordPress Developer
Word press programmer usually has Computer Science degrees in University. The best WordPress developers are either self-taught or attend a training program or short-term coding courses. The best universities for Computer science are,
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Stanford University
- University of California-Berkeley
- University of Illinois – Urbana Champaign
The best places to learn for wp developers are,
- WP Apprentice
- LinkedIn Learning
Some of the best WordPress Development Courses are,
- Brainstation (Full-time/Part-time)
- App Academy (Full-time)
- Flaitiron School (Full-time)
- Thinkful (Full-time, Self-paced)
- Rithm School (Full-time/Part-time)
Also Read: Hiring freelance SEOs | Everything you must know
Skills and qualities to look for in a WordPress Developer
WordPress web development involves developing a website and website application. A WordPress freelancer uses programming language and web-based technology to develop new functionality and features, and add enhanced security features to a website.
They work with word press designers to ensure your website looks and works seamlessly. When you hire WordPress expert or WordPress freelancers, here are some qualities you should look for.
1. Technical skills needed to become a WordPress developer
WordPress web developers should know the following programming languages,
- HTML or Hypertext Markup Language defines the structure of a WordPress Website. Knowing HTML gives developers control over their work and allows them to take a structured approach while developing the website.
- CSS or cascading style sheets defines the visual appearance of a website.
- SQL (Structured Query Language) allows developers to access and manipulate databases through web applications.
- PHP is a powerful scripting language. The language allows developers to connect to databases.
- WordPress platform knowledge includes installing, familiarity with WordPress features, and plugins.
2. Business skills needed to become a WordPress developer
Business knowledge is essential for WordPress developers is used commercial tool. WordPress can be used for eCommerce marketing applications to digital marketing.
- Sales and marketing – WordPress programmers should understand what a customer wants and create a website that appears to their preferences. WordPress is a popular platform for eCommerce companies.
- Search engine optimization –Freelance web developer WordPress
- must adopt the best practices of SEO. Search engine crawlers go through several components to decide the ranking of a page (indexing, meta-tags, sitemaps, etc.). The developer needs to incorporate the elements on the page.
- Mobile-development – The WordPress professional needs to ensure the website or web-based application works well on different screen sizes and devices.
- Security – An e-commerce WordPress website needs to incorporate safety features. WordPress professionals should be aware of security risks and how to avoid them.
3. Softskills needed to become a WordPress developer
Other than technical skills and business knowledge, WordPress experts should have the following soft skills,
- Willingness to learn – Web development is evolving WordPress code should be willing to learn and adapt to the changes. They need to incorporate the latest practices when they develop a WordPress website.
- Teamwork – The WordPress site developer needs to understand the importance of working as a team to complete the website within the time frame and budget. The developer will need to work with a freelance WordPress designer.
- Focused – Website projects require planning. Developers need to be adaptable at splitting the tasks, make project timelines, and stick to the deadline.
- Open to feedback – Professional WordPress developers need to be open to feedback to modify or improve the website.
- Business thought process – A developer should have business logic to showcase what your company has to offer.
Also Read: Hire mobile app developers | A complete guide
Certifications to look for in WordPress Developer
There are no official WordPress certifications. Certifications ensure the WordPress developers for hire is knowledgeable about WordPress. Some of the best third-party certifications to look for are,
- Yoast SEO for WordPress Training – Yoast SEO plugin is a popular plugin. WordPress website developers with Yoast SEO certification can leverage the Yoast plugin and SEO knowledge.
- WPMU Dev Academy – WPMU Dev publishes resources, offers several plugins, and provides training.
- WordPress 101 – The WordPress 101 academy is for those who want to become a WordPress web developer.
- Web Development Career Path – The Codecademy runs the Web Development Career Path teaches basic about web development.
- WordPress Theme Development with Bootstrap – Udemy conducts the WordPress Theme Development with Bootstrap program. After the program, the WordPress designer will know how to create a WordPress theme using the Bootstrap framework. Udemy also offers another course Become a WordPress Developer: Unlocking Power With Code, for those interested in becoming a developer WordPress.
Also Read: Hire Virtual Assistants | Know before you start
WordPress Developer rate per hour
When you hire a WordPress Developer, the freelance WordPress developer’s salary will vary depending on the experience, the firm they work in, and location.
WordPress developer hourly rate in the US can range from $ 20 – $ 100/hour. The average salary of an entry-level WordPress Web Developer is approximately $ 41,765/year. The web designer and developer with WordPress skills can range from $ 31,000 – $ 70,000/year. Their average salary is $ 48144/year.
The WordPress developer hourly rate in the UK can range from £ 12.82 – £ 30.86. The average hourly rate in the UK is £ 17.95/hour. The annual salary of a WordPress Web Developer in the UK ranges from £ 25,000 to £ 60,168. The average salary is £ 35000/year.
The average hourly rate in India is Rs 159/hour. The salary of a WordPress Web Developer can range from Rs 145000/year to Rs 1093000/year. The average salary is Rs 358000/year.
Also Read: Hire Accountants | A how-to guide for beginners
Places to find the best WordPress Developer
Whether you want WordPress experts for hire or WordPress designers for hire or you are planning or hiring WordPress for web developers or WordPress consultants, job boards are one of the best places to start. You can look for candidates using Google search results. The best places to find WordPress Developer are,
- Upwork is one of the best resources for WordPress designers to hire.
- Toptal is a popular resource for start-ups and businesses to find freelance WordPress programmers.
- unremote.com is a platform to hire freelancer WordPress experts from around the world. You can view profiles and contact candidates on the website.
- SimplyHired is one of the oldest Job portals allowing you to hire a WordPress developer and freelancer needed by your firm.
- Flexjobs is an online job portal where you can find WordPress entry-level candidates and WordPress experts for hire.
- Authentic Jobs allows you to post WordPress jobs and find WordPress web designer or WordPress for developer.
- Codeable – Codeable.io helps businesses find a WordPress expert for hire. You can hire candidates for short-term or long-term projects.
- Hired – Hired helps hire candidates for WordPress site development or WordPress website designer freelance.
- GitHub Jobs – GitHub is a developer community, where you can post job requirements and get a candidate WordPress with experience.
- WP Hired – WPHired allows you to post WordPress related job posting. The portal posts job listing in different categories, improving the chances of finding a suitable website designer WordPress, or WordPress for web developers.
Also Read: Hire Sales Representatives | An ultimate read for best results
Top 10 companies hiring WordPress Developer and salaries
Some of the best companies hiring WordPress Developers or custom WordPress designers are,
- HTMLPanda is Open-source web-development Company. It specializes in building robust websites. Hourly rate $26-50/hour.
- Elekes is one of the best outsourcing firms and provides a range of software services such as developer WordPress and custom WordPress designer. Hourly rate $25-$49/hour
- HTML Pro is one of the top digital marketing and web design firms in New York. The company specializes in software solutions & web applications. Hourly rate$26-$49/hour
- Cubix is an award-winning app development company. It specializes in mobile apps, games, and software applications. Hourly rate $25-$49/hour.
- 7Edge is a software and product development firm. It specializes in web and mobile applications. Hourly rate $25-$49/hour.
- MobiDev combines mobile apps and web-based apps to create unique AI solutions. Hourly rate $25-$49/hour.
- TagDiv is a web design and development firm. Hourly rate $51-$100/hour.
- UPQODE is an award-winning web design and SEO agency. It specializes in Web and SEO optimization. Hourly rate of $51-$100hour.
- OpenXCell is a leading mobile app-based company. Hourly rate of $<25/hour.
- DCSL Software Limited is a UK based software and app-based company. Hourly rate $50-99/hour.
Also Read: Hire Game Developers | A priceless list of tips to succeed
Steps involved in hiring the best WordPress Developer
There are some essential steps to hire a WordPress programmer,
- Define who you want to hire – you need to determine if you want to hire word press consultants or WordPress expert or WordPress designer, or WordPress developer. Consult the development team about the expectations.
- Develop a focused job description – Draft WordPress developer job description. List out essential attributes and skills you need.
- Formulate your candidate screening – It is important to ascertain the technical and soft skills through interviews and technical evaluation.
- Evaluate the developer work – You can evaluate a developer’s web development WordPress work by viewing the WordPress developer blog or WordPress developer portfolio.
- Follow up with promising candidates – the hiring process in some companies is long. It is important to keep interacting with promising candidates.
- Sign the contract – Once you have shortlisted a candidate you need to let the candidate know how you evaluate freelancers or staff. Top WordPress developers will be recognized and rewarded.
Also Read: Hire Software Developers | A comprehensive guide for beginners
Top 10 interview questions for WordPress Developer
Question 1: What is WordPress?
Rationale: This question is to assess the knowledge level of an entry-level developer.
Answer: WordPress is an Open Source Content Management System (CMS) tool based on SQL and PHP. WordPress is a blogging system and is used by more than 60 million websites.
Question 2: From an SEO point of view is WordPress useful? Will it show the Google website?
Rationale: A developer needs to consider META data, site-maps to ensure the crawlers can crawl through the pages effortlessly
Answer: WordPress is extremely SEO friendly it has an inbuilt SEO search engine. It has an inbuilt plug-in in WordPress to help with SEO and rank on Google.
Question 3: What are the types of Hooks available in WordPress? Why is it used?
Rationale: The developer should be well-versed with the WordPress system.
Answer: There are two types of Hooks: 1) Action Hooks 2) Filter Hooks
We can use Hooks to create WordPress Themes or Plugin in shortcodes without changing the original code. Action Hooks lets us insert additional code from an external resource. Filter Hooks lets users add content and text to the end of the post.
Question 4: What do you mean by the customs field in WordPress?
Rationale: Web Designer WordPress should be able to answer this question
Answer: The customs fields are meta-data that allows users to store information in the WordPress post. Users can store extra information in the post using custom fields.
Question 5: What steps can you take if your WordPress file is hacked?
Rationale: Security is an integral part of any eCommerce website. A developer should be aware of how to address security.
Answer: There are a few concrete steps I can take if your website is hacked,
- Install security plugins such as WP Security
- Re-install the latest version of all your users
- Change password and user-ids for all the users
- Ensure your themes and plug-ins are up to date.
Question 6: Why does WordPress use MySQL?
Rationale: A developer needs to know how to use MySql since it is used in WordPress.
Answer: MySQL is a widely available database server and is fast. It is open-source, it is free, and can support Linux hosts. This versatility makes it easy for anyone to host a website.
Question 7: What are the rules that you have to follow for WordPress plugin development?
Rationale: A WordPress developer should not be able to use plugins they should be able to create plugins.
Answer: WordPress has set the following rules to develop Plugins,
- Create a unique name
- Create the plugin folder
- Create a subfolder for PHP files, translations, and assets
- Create the main plugin file and fill in the header information
- Create activation and deactivation functions
- Create an uninstall script
- Create a readme.txt file
- To detect paths to plugin files use proper constant and function.
Question 8: Is it possible to rename the WordPress folder?
Rationale: This helps to check the knowledge of the developer. There can be modifications during development, and WordPress developers should be able to answer the question.
Answer: Yes, we can rename the WordPress Folder. We would need to log in to the weblog as an admin and change the settings in:- WordPress address (URL) and Blog Address (URL). After making the changes, you can rename a folder or directory with a WordPress file in it.
Question 9: What does a WordPress developer do?
Rationale: This is meant for fresher WordPress dev to ascertain if their understanding of WordPress development.
Answer: WordPress developers can make custom plugins and modules for WordPress. WordPress is a designer who can develop themes for WordPress.
Question 10: How can you disable the WordPress comment?
Rationale: A developer should be to customize the WordPress website as per client requirement.
Answer: WordPress comments can be easily disabled if we go to the dashboard, options there are two options “discussion, there is a comment” and “ Allow people to post a comment”. We can uncheck these options.
Also Read: Hire Bookkeepers | A complete guide
Top 10 tools to use while hiring a WordPress Developer
Hiring a WordPress Developer can be daunting. Luckily some tools can help,
- Job Aggregator Hiring tools – Job boards and aggregators are tools that help you hire the right word press designer or developer from around the world. Unremote and SimplyHired are some of the best Job board websites available.
- Application Tracking Tools – Application tracking tools help the recruiter manage the recruitment process efficiently. Some application tracking tools you can use are Workable and Hiretual.
- Interviewing Tools – In an era of remote recruiting, tools such as Zoom and HireVue allow you to interview candidates from different locations and timezones.
- Candidate Screening Tools – Candidate screening tools help recruiters assess the skills of the candidate. There are trade-specific candidate screening tests DevSkills allows you to test the skill of coders and developers.
- Background Check Recruiting tools – These tools help you test the criminal and work history of a candidate. GoodHire and Sterling are some commonly used background check tools.
- Onboarding Tools – These tools help to integrate the new talent into the firm. Some onboarding tools are BambooHR and Namely.
- AI recruiting tools – Artificial Intelligence recruiting tools help to improve the recruitment process. Emplocity and Plum are AI recruiting tools.
- Social media tool – Social media tools look through various social media sites to look for candidates with the skills-set you require. SourceHub is a popular social media tool.
- Chatbots – Chatbots helps to engage with recruits through the hiring process. They can communicate with your firm during off-hours as well. GoHire and Ideal are common chatbots.
- Candidate Relationship Management software – CRM is a tool used to engage with recruits during the hiring process. Some recruiters use the CRM software SmashFly.
Also Read: Hire Database Administrator | Know before you start
Dos and don’ts while hiring a WordPress Developer
There some dos and don’ts that will help you hire a WordPress Developer,
- Have a clear idea about the scope of the project.
- Write a WordPress developer job description.
- Consider how much the freelance WordPress developer is quoting. A cheap WordPress developer may indicate a lack of experience.
- Take a skills test of the WordPress contractor.
- Find out freelance WordPress developer rates in your area.
- Take a look at the portfolio of their work or WordPress developer’s blog.
- Look at their testimonials.
- Select a WordPress specialist who can communicate effectively.
- Maintain a transparent hiring process.
- Engage with the candidate through the hiring process. Let the candidate of the hiring result.
Some don’t you should follow,
- Hire a WordPress developer who does not take security concerns seriously.
- Hire a WordPress freelance who is not willing to listen to feedback.
- Hire a candidate who is unwilling to give references.
- Rely on degrees and certificates. You should assess their technical skills independently.
- Forget to share your business goals.
- Treat the experience as the only barometer to ascertain future performance.
- Forget to have a clear contract with WordPress contractors or a WordPress freelance developer.
- Forget to have a knowledge transfer protocol and training to equip WordPress for developers or WordPress web designers to work effectively.
- Hire a WordPress developer or WordPress web designer who cannot collaborate with a team.
- Hire a candidate who lies in their resume.
Also Read: Hire Database Engineer | A how-to guide for beginners
How much does it cost to hire a WordPress developer?
The costs of hiring a WordPress developer will depend on the scope and complexity of the project. Freelance WordPress developers charge by the hour and charge customers fees ranging from $5 to $100 per hour. Creating a WordPress website can cost can vary between a few hundred dollars to $30000 or more.
Where can I hire a WordPress developer?
There are several places you can hire a WordPress developer,
- Job boards hosting WordPress developer freelance profiles.
- Ask for references or recommendations
- Hire a WordPress consultant or developing agency
- Approach a special staffing firm.
[…] Also Read: Hire WordPress Developer | A how-to guide for beginners […]