Want to hire one of the best front end developers? Here’s a list of top front end developers, the skills you must look for, and how to hire them!
Before we start, you need to know who are front end developers? Or What do front end developers do? Front end developers are responsible for implementing the visual elements user sees and interacts with within a web application. Back end developers who deal with the server-side application logic. They work together to create a functioning website.
Web application and website interface have become extremely important. Customers now interact with websites and applications on different devices. Websites are the first interaction a person has with a company. Before you proceed to hire front end developers, you need to know the process of hiring a developer. We try to throw some light on the various questions you may have.
Market for front end developers
Web designer front end development is one of the most exciting fields today. We live in a world where we are connected. Many companies and organizations have web-based operations. According to Indeed, the average salary of front end developers is 62% higher than the salary of other developers.
According to the figures released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for web developers is expected to grow at 8% from 2019 to 2029. The growing popularity of mobile devices and eCommerce will fuel the demand. The bureau reveals 14,000 developers will join the workforce by 2029.
Experts valued the global e-commerce market size at $9.09 trillion in 2019, this is expected to grow at a compounded interest rate of 14.27%. The web developer hourly rate in 2018 was $81-100/hour has increased to $100-125/hour.
Things to note while hiring front end developers
Front end developers bring a unique skill set to the table. You need to dig much deeper, by having a look at their previous work. The work done by the developer will be the face of your organization, you should be careful while hiring front end developers.
- A visual aesthetic that matches my brand – Front end developer website has to be consistent on various platforms and devices. A good developer will conduct tests on different devices without being asked.
- Industry trend awareness and balance – A freelance front end developer should be aware of the latest trend in design and UI. The internet world has become very dynamic and they need to be aware of customer trends. They should be capable of using design trends to create something unique.
- A good portfolio – front end developers should have an eye for detail and user experience. A good developer should have their portfolio to showcase their skill.
- Great Communication – front end developers needs to communicate with designers to implement the UI interface correctly. Communication is more important when working remotely to avoid misinterpretations.
- Qualification- Front end developers hiring qualifications should be preferably a computer science degree.
- Strong awareness of development in the field – Hire the candidate that follows the latest tech news and innovations. The front end developers should always try to stay ahead of the curve.
- The ability to adapt – Front end frameworks are changing rapidly, and the developer must have the ability to adapt to changes.
- Create technical proficiency – The front end developers must have the ability to convert the interface design into a functionally beautiful user-interface. The developer needs to have a creative mindset to produce an aesthetically pleasing design.
- Critical thinking style – A front-end developer should be able to deconstruct a problem and find an effective logical way to solve it.
- UI/UX sensibility – A front-end developer should be able to improve your UI/UX better than you anticipated.
Qualities of best front end developers
While evaluating the skills of a front-end developer, you need to evaluate their technical and soft skills. While their skill levels may differ depending on their experience, here are some skills the developer must possess.
- CSS preprocessing ensures the older version of the CSS works.
- Version control and other developer tool help to keep track of the changes your developer makes.
- In responsive design, the developer needs to ensure the code works on multiple devices.
- Testing is needed to determine if the page is deploying accurately. The developer needs to ensure the code conducts unit tests and functional tests on the code to ensure everything works.
- Web performance/building and automation tools ensure the page is optimized.
- Creativity is an essential skill that helps the front end developer find a creative solution.
- Communication skills are essential since the developer will need to communicate with other stakeholders in the process.
- Teamwork needs to collaborate with the designer and other members of the web development team.
Front end developers rate per hour
Before you decide on a front end developer hiring, you need to recheck your budgetary allocation for website development. You have questions such as “Should I hire a full-time frontend developer?” or is hiring an “ hourly rate web developer” more feasible.
- The hourly rate of a front-end developer in the USA varies between $100-125/hour.
- Hiring a front-end developer in the UK will cost you between $50-100/hour.
- Front-end developer hiring from Netherland varies between $100-115/hour.
- Front-end developer position hiring in the Philippines $15-25/hour
- Web development hourly rate in India varies from $20 to 70/hour.
Places to find best front end developers
Whether you want to know “How long to hire frontend developer?” or “ How to hire a front end developer for a short contract” or “how to hire a UX frontend developer?”. The first step will be to look for candidates. Here are the best job boards to hire front end developer,
- Upwork is one of the largest job boards for hiring a freelance front-end software developer. There are several profiles uploaded in web developer Upwork along with the hourly rate for a web developer.
- Toptal is a talent matching service. You will be able to find top front-end developers, front-end mobile developers, and frontend developers.
- unremot.com is one of the best resources to find a global workforce for front-end application development. The job board allows you to view many profile, the front end developer hourly rate, and contact them if necessary.
- We Work Remotely is a great resource to hire a remote front-end developer.
- Hired helps employers find front-end, website developers.
- GitHub Jobs charges a small fee to post jobs for front end developer. You can post front end web developer description for the job you want.
- Stack Overflow is one of the best online community resources for developers. Posting job posting on Stack Overflow can help you find professional front end developer hire.
- People-Per-Hour is a freelance marketplace. People-Per-Hour website that allows you to hire a developer for website development hourly rate.
- Dice has a big database for web developers for front end work in the United States.
- Gun.io is a community of developers. Gun.io vets the developers on their website.
Steps involved in hiring best front end developers
I need to hire a front-end developer, but there are still many steps you need to take before you hire before hiring the candidate. Here are some steps involved,
- Write a detailed job description. You need to answer, What is front end development? means for your firm.
- Prepare a list of questions you want to ask the candidate. The ideal candidate selected will have the required soft and technical skills.
- Decide on the remuneration you are willing to pay. Most remote front developers charge web programming an hourly rate. You have to determine how long you will hire a frontend developer.
- Post job posting on job boards. Mention a detailed job description for the post. How much you are willing to pay with the approximate duration of the job.
- Scan the job portals for suitable candidates and make a shortlist based on your requirements.
- Schedule interviews and analyze their technical and soft skills.
- Finalize the selected candidate
- Sign the carefully drafted contract.
Top 10 interview questions for front end developers
Before hiring a front-end developer for your front end web design of your website, you need to evaluate the technical skills of the developer. Here are some general questions for hiring a front-end developer.
Question 1: Who is a front end developer?
Rationale: This question is meant for hiring junior front-end developers to ascertain if they know what their job description entails.
Sample Answer: A front-end developer meaning is someone who develops the part that users access while interacts with the website, including buttons, images, colors, typography, etc. They should ensure the usability remains unaffected through different browsers and devices.
Question 2: Explain what is Three.js?
Rationale: This will help you evaluate the technical skills of a frontend developer.
Question 3: Explain what is the difference between WebGL and three.Js?
Rationale: Front end web developers need not know raw WebGL to program with three.Js, but it is useful to know both for creating advanced effects.
- Three.js: A framework build on top of WebGL that simplifies creating 3D graphics in the browser. It uses a canvas + WebGL to display the 3D scene.
- CSS 3D: CSS only has some 3D transforms making it possible to achieve 3D effects with regular DOM nodes.
- D3.js: D3 is a data visualization library. It makes it easy to generate and modify graphics based on data. D3 is nothing to do with 3D.
Question 4: Explain how you would ensure that your web design is user-friendly, and what kinds of steps would you use?
Rationale: a front developer needs to collaborate with UX (User experience) designer to ensure the website has a user-centric design. A front end designer should know what constitutes a good website.
Sample Answer: As a front-end software engineer, there are several steps I can take to the web-design has a user-friendly interface.
- Listen to feedback given by regular visitors to the website.
- Ensure the site loads fast, even on mobile devices. There are many tools available that will help a frontend web developer evaluate loading speed.
- The website should be able to provide the information required easily.
- The navigation of the website should be institutive.
- The colors chosen for the website should balance beauty with clarity.
- The site layout should have a responsive design. Users should be able to view the content on their smartphones easily.
- Each page should have a strong call to action. The call-to-action should be easy to locate.
Question 5: How will you utilize CSS float?
Rationale: CSS is one of the core skills needed by front end developer, the question helps to evaluate their concepts.
Sample Answer: The float CSS property places elements right or left side of its container, allowing text and inline elements to wrap around it.
Question 6: How do you structure your source code to make it easy for your colleague?
Rationale: The source code is the proprietary property of the organization. During front-end app development, the code should be structured so that another developer can reuse or modify it.
Sample Answer: I use comments in the process to explain all the steps they have taken.
Question 7: How can you increase page performance?
Rationale: Speed of loading is one of the parameters to judge the website. Pages load quickly and correctly
Sample Answer: there are several ways to increase page performance:-
- Clean up the HTML document
- Reduce external HTML request
- Sprites, compressed images, smaller images
Question 8: What is AJAX?
Rationale: Web developer front end use AJAX for asynchronous web applications.
Question 9 : What is difference between HTML and XHTML?
Rationale: HTML is an important skill that every frontend designer should be able to answer this basic question.
Sample Answer: Both HTML and XHTML are markup language where webpages are written. Some of the main differences between the two markup languages are HTML is based on standard generalized markup languages, and XHTML is based on XML. HTML is static webpage while XHTML have dynamic webpages. The browser ignores minor errors in HTML, but XHTML has a much strict coding system.
Question 10: Explain the importance of the HTML DOCTYPE?
Rationale: this is to check the coding skill of the developer
Sample Answer: DOCTYPE is are instructions for the web browser regarding the version of the markup language. In the HTML document see the DOCTYPE before the <html> tag. The doctype provides the markup language rules so that the browser interprets the coding correctly.
Top 10 tools to use while hiring front end developers
Hiring front end dev for your firm is time-consuming. A wrong candidate can compromise the quality of the website. Fortunately, there are several tools to help you hire the best candidate.
- Job board tools or candidate sourcing tools that list allow you to post frontend web development. You can view the profile of the candidates as well. Dice, Unremote, Upwork are some popular Job board tools you can use.
- Recruitment Marketing Software automates and improves the recruitment marketing process. Recruitment marketing software like HappierWork helps you get the best candidate.
- Application tracking systems helps HR professionals and recruiters streamline the selection process. Talentlyft Track is considered to be one of the leading application tracking systems in the market.
- Candidate Relationship Management Software is also called CRM for recruiters. The software helps to improve the relationship with potential recruits. Talentfy Engage is a Candidate Relationship Management Software.
- Candidate Sourcing Software allows recruiters to proactively look for web front end developer for your company. With the help of software, recruiters can scan millions of profiles shortlisting the best profiles. Upside is a popular candidate sourcing software.
- Video interviewing software is a tool that allows you to conduct online interviews via video. Video interviewing software allows candidates to be interviewed anytime anywhere. Video interviewer and Sonru are some popular tools.
- Recruitment assessment tool – Some tools allow you to use skill tests to assess and hire the best front-end, developer. Imocha, GoodHire are common assessment tools.
- Employee Referral software system streamlines employee referral programs. Employee Referrals and Role Point are some of the best employee referral software available.
- Background check software automatically vets the candidate and checks if the candidate has a criminal background. Accurate and Checkr are some of the best background check software available.
- Employee Advocacy software enables employees to share pre-approved content to promote the company on social media platforms. Popular employee advocacy software available are Smarp and Sociabble.
Dos and don’ts while hiring front end developers
Here are some dos and don’ts to keep in mind while hiring a front-end developer.
- Do look for an experienced front end developer.
- Discuss expectations and timeline with the candidate.
- Do look for a developer who can communicate effectively.
- Do look for a candidate with a strong portfolio.
- Do test the skill early.
- Do look for a candidate who is experienced in open source platforms.
- Interview with the candidate.
- Do offer fair remuneration for the work.
- Do ask for a non-disclosure agreement with your firm.
- Do treat the candidate courteously.
- Don’t recruit the candidate based on their technical skills alone.
- Don’t cover only technical questions during the interview.
- Don’t overlook collaboration skills in developers.
- Don’t forget to share your business goals.
- Don’t pick developers who do not take privacy concerns seriously.
- Don’t forget to check the developer’s references.
- Don’t publish the incorrect details in the project brief.
- Don’t hire a candidate who is not open to learning on the job.
- Don’t hire a candidate who does not have an online portfolio.
- Don’t hire a candidate who lies on their resume.
What should I look for when hiring front end developers?
While looking to hire a front-end developer take a look at their portfolio of work. A developer does not get paid for their portfolio, but it helps to showcase their skills and commitment to improving. You will need to evaluate their technical and UI/UX skills. Check out if they participate in discussions in various developer communities.