If you are already familiar with the role of Oracle DBA or would like to know in detail what Oracle DBA, this article has detailed information on what you should know before stepping into a career in Oracle as a DBA with a focus on doing this remotely.
Remote Oracle DBA Jobs
A huge amount of data is being collected as more and more companies go online. With the increasing amount of data, there arises a need to store, manipulate, and ensure it’s easy to access when needed. This work is handled by Database Administrators who work as a gatekeeper to this data and ensure its safety.
The main objective of DBA is to make sure that only authorized users have access to the database. DBA is an important role for any organization which essentially handles the company database. Remote Oracle DBA jobs are for people who wish to work as a DBA remotely from the comfort of the location of their own choosing.
Remote Oracle DBA Roles and Responsibilities
A DBA plays a very important role in an organization with complete responsibility for handling the company’s database. Among the many roles and responsibilities that a DBA performs, the primary ones include installing, configuring, updating, and maintaining the database.
He/She should also undertake the responsibility of managing and organizing the stored data with regular backups and security in place. An efficient system to retrieve the data when required should also be kept in place by the database administrator. In case of data loss due to failure or data corruption, a DBA must take on recovery measures.
Here is a list of all the responsibilities that a DBA undertakes,
- Installation and configuring software and application tools.
- Troubleshooting errors in Database management in case of any failure or emergency.
- Strong data recovery checks and regular back-ups. Checking the back-ups to ensure usability at the time of need.
- Creating strong database security by creating user-profiles and granting user permissions.
- Proper documentation and maintenance for future usage.
- Creating database queries to help acquire data easily when required.
- DBA’s most important task includes monitoring and optimizing database performance.
An oracle database administrator wears multiple hats that differ with the capability and requirement of the database. Here are some of the roles which a database administrator performs during his job,
- Database Analyst
- Storage Administrator
- Network Administrator
- Database Backup Administrator
- Data Designer
Market opportunity for remote Oracle DBA jobs
Every organization has a need for database administrators in their IT department to maintain and store their data and keep it safe. They ensure that the companies Oracle database run smoothly and they are often responsible for other databases as well. The database administrators work alongside the IT department to design and maintain the database.
They are required to troubleshoot failures immediately and also foresee any impending disasters by keeping regular checks. Database administrators are asked to write codes to program, test it and implement it in the existing software and collaborate with the rest of the team to see if any changes should be made to the software for optimizing performance.
The demand for database administrators is high in the market as any company that uses computers would need to hire a DBA professional to look after the database. This may include healthcare companies, government agencies, start-ups, universities, banking and finance, the technology industry, etc. A database administrator performs regular checks and ensures that data retrieval in case of need is quick and efficient.
In case of system failures or technical issues, the database administrator may be called at any time of the day to troubleshoot the system and get the database up and running.
Qualification and Skills Needed to get Remote Oracle DBA Jobs
For remote Oracle DBA jobs, a candidate must not only possess technical skills but also non-technical skills to grow in the career. Educational qualification in the field of ICT, engineering, or statistics along with a relevant DBA certification would make you qualified to apply for the job of a Remote Oracle DBA.
Here are some of the technical skills you should possess to perform well as a DBA,
- Oracle database administration using RUB, UML, C, C++, SQL, .NET, etc.
- Operating system experience such as UNIX, Linux, etc.
- Knowledge of DBMS series of packages.
- Experience in Installation and configuration of Oracle database system.
- Creating and maintaining UNIX shell and Perl scripts.
- Product Development.
- Troubleshooting Database to optimize performance.
- Knowledge of basic programming languages such as HTML and XML.
- Confident in SQL and PL/SQL.
- Experience with Oracle Exadata and Golden gate.
Soft skills are as important as technical skills for a DBA. These qualities would help in doing a better job with high growth prospects,
- Problem-solving skills: When problems arise you must possess the necessary skills to identify the problem, the reason behind the failure, and how to troubleshoot the failure.
- Desire to Learn: An eagerness to learn would help with your growth in the database administration career. The ever-changing IT field is suitable for a curious mind.
- Logical mindset: A logical mindset helps in evaluating complex information in less time. Recalling technical aspects of the system and platforms relevant to your setup is crucial.
- Good memory: A good memory allows you to remember specific facts about your database environment.
- Detail-oriented: In database administration, minor problems may cause major impact hence a detail-oriented person would be capable of identifying errors and handle them in-time.
Career paths under remote Oracle DBA jobs
As you gain more experience, the chances of growing in your role as a remote Oracle DBA increases. You will gain more confidence in the assigned tasks and undertake more responsibilities. A DBA can take multiple career paths based on experience, interest, and skills.
1. Junior Database Administrator
As a DBA you’ll start your career as a Junior Level Administrator where you’ll learn to maintain and troubleshoot the database systems. You’ll be required to set user privileges as well as monitoring and optimizing system performance. Once you gain experience in these tasks it would be time to move ahead in your career. Keep honing your skills and stay up to date with the latest technologies. Get certified as an Oracle Database Professional.
2. Senior Database Administrator
A Senior Database Administrator establishes the database management system, guidelines, and standards. They are required to code complex programs to monitor and maintain the system. Senior Database Administrators are responsible for data security, integrity. They also coordinate with the internal team members and clients.
3. Beyond Senior Database Administrator
To further excel in this field, you must gain expertise in your field. Keep yourself updated with the latest technological advancements. Advanced certification or degree would also help in boosting your career. With relevant experience up your sleeve, you can work as a Database Architect, IT Manager leading up to a position as an IT Director, IT Consultant, Chief Information Officer, or as a Chief Operation Officer.
Recommended certifications for remote Oracle DBA jobs
To apply for remote oracle DBA jobs you need to have a minimum of a four-year bachelor’s or a two-year associate’s degree in any ICT, engineering, or statistics field. Some companies are ready to oversee this if the candidate has technical training and certifications through online learning or other relevant sources.
To increase the chances of selection, it is a good idea to get certified in commercial database systems. A college degree only introduces you to SQL with the basics of database administration. Most companies prefer hiring people with one or more than one certification.
Here are some of the key players in the market offering database management certification that are valid in the job market and would bring you one step closer to getting a remote Oracle DBA job,
- IBM Analytics Certification
- Oracle MySQL Database Developer
- Oracle MySQL Database Administrator
- Oracle DB Certified Associate
- Oracle DB Certified Professional
- MongoDB Certified DBA
- MongoDB Certified Developer
- Microsoft SQL Server database certifications
- SAP HANA: SAP Certified Technology Associate
- EDB Certified Associate
- EDB Certified Professional
- Certified Cassandra Administrator
- Certified Cassandra Architect
- Certified Cassandra Developer
Most of these courses are available online and only require you to submit the fee and start accessing the learning material. Once you are prepared enroll for any of these certifications and clear the exam. Getting certified would improve your marketability and supplement your resume.
Top 10 tools needed for remote Oracle DBA jobs
Top tools needed to troubleshoot and manage Oracle Database and perform your remote Oracle DBA job efficiently,
- SolarWinds Database Performance Analyzer for Oracle is a database and query monitor. It helps to monitor the Oracle database 24/7 and provides information pertaining to poor performance based on its analysis.
- Datadog Oracle Monitoring is a cloud-based database monitoring system and allows users to create login credentials. It helps remote professionals to log in to the dashboard of the system from any web browser.
- RedGate Deployment Suite for Oracle is a software tool to manage, develop, and deploy databases. It displays data in a table format making it easy to figure out of sync data.
- Quest Toad for Oracle is a software tool for managing the database and optimizing code for Oracle. Quest Toad uses automation to eliminate tasks like testing, reporting, execution, etc.
- Aqua Data Studio is a database management tool and IDE. It also features an in-built query board to retrieve data easily.
- dbForge Studio for Oracle is an IDE that helps administrators to produce PL/SQL coding more efficiently. The in-built debugger helps in producing efficient code.
- Navicat for Oracle is a database management system and software development tool. The visual SQL builder helps to easily create and run SQL statements.
- RazorSQL is a database query tool for Oracle. It provides support for over 20 different languages such as SQL, PHP, etc.
- MyOra is a free database monitoring tool for Oracle to measure real-time performance. The performance data is presented in various visual formats like bar charts, graphs and pie charts, etc.
- TOra is an open-source database management system that supports Oracle, MySQL, etc. It comes with an SQL editor and debugger to manage databases.
Top 25 dream companies for remote Oracle DBA jobs
Many companies employ database administrators to manage their huge database and pay good money for this. If you are on the lookout for remote jobs that allows you to work from home, there is no need to change careers. Here are a few companies that offer remote database administrator opportunities to their employees.
We have curated a list of top 25 dream companies to apply for while looking for remote oracle DBA jobs in the market and grow your career,
- Bank of America
- Tata Consultancy Services
- Wells Fargo
- JPMorgan Chase
- Infosys Public services
- Capital One
- Lockheed Martin
- Cisco Systems
- Spin Systems
- Science Applications International
- C3 Business solutions
- Sawdney solutions services, inc.
Among the companies listed above, IBM is the best to start your career in the field of data administration with an average salary of USD 84,673. AT&T is next up in line with an average salary of USD 61,738 with NetSuite in the third position with an average salary of USD 106,079. All these companies provide regular openings for the post of a remote database administrator.
Top places to find remote Oracle DBA jobs
Here is a list of best job portals to find remote oracle DBA jobs,
- Dice – Dice is an online job portal that allows you to filter job postings based on location, job title, skills, and company. Dice is based in New York City with approximately 80,000 job listings providing a huge number of opportunities for you to apply to.
- unremot.com: This is one of the most technologically advanced remote collaboration platform for remote Oracle DBA jobs. One can find freelance/remote work from across the recruiters around the world, while also collaborating with them over video-based virtual rooms and chats.
- Flexjobs – Flexjobs is one of the best online job portals to find remote job opportunities. This site provides relevant and quality Oracle DBA jobs every day from top most companies. You’ll have to pay a minimal monthly charge to view the job listings on this website.
- Working Nomads – The website is founded by nomadic workers who travel from city to city and worked all over the world. Hence, the job listing on this portal are genuine and of top quality. They mostly put up full-time opportunities but part-time and contract positions are also available from time to time.
- Zippia – Zippia, a California based job portal, aims at providing people with all their career options and how it would affect their career path. It provides people with the best tools and information to land their dream job.
Top resume elements of remote Oracle DBA jobs
Writing a top-notch resume is your first step before applying for remote Oracle DBA jobs. We have listed down top resume elements of remote Oracle DBA jobs that you must not miss out on,
- Relevant Experience – Focus on experience gained in the field of database administration.
- Awards and Achievements – Mention any awards and achievements relevant to the position
- Key Qualities – Touch on what unique qualities you would bring to the table if hired.
- Significant skills – Mention technical and non-technical skills significant to the role.
- Certifications and Degree – List out all the relevant certifications and technical degrees.
Remote Oracle DBA jobs pay structures
The salary of a remote Oracle DBA depends on job location, experience, and employer. According to Glassdoor, the average annual base pay in the United States for a DBA is USD 37,690 with a median salary of USD 87,020.
Getting started as a DBA opens up opportunities for high-paying jobs and the more experience you gain the better would be the pay scale. The top 5 highest paying US cities for DBAs are San Jose, Los Angeles, Raleigh, San Francisco, and New Haven with San Jose being the topmost paying city in the United States.
Remote entry level Oracle DBA jobs
Remote entry-level Oracle DBA jobs require you to earn a degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, etc. Start gaining knowledge in programming languages and operating systems. The next step after getting a degree is to get certified as a DBA by enrolling in a database certification course.
These courses usually last a week and give you sufficient knowledge to work as an entry-level database administrator. If you’re still not proficient in programming languages and operating systems, consider taking the Oracle SQL Certification Course first. A certification sets a benchmark in the industry and improves your career prospects.