Aspiring to become a remote front end developer? If so, you’re on the right page – know the skills, certifications, best companies, pay scales, career options here!
Web technologies have undergone a metamorphosis in the last few years. Websites are built and managed by three types of developers: the front-end developer, back-end developer, and full stack developer.
Front end developer needs to combine the art of design with programming skills. Front-end developers collaborate with designers or user experience analysts to make sure users have a seamless user interface of the website. Remote front end developer jobs allow developers to work from home.
Companies hire remote front end developers when it wants to save overhead costs and training cost. Remote developers cost less to the companies than a full-time employee. They are useful contingency plan between hires or for special projects.
Remote front end developer jobs roles and responsibilities
Front-end web developers are programmers who specialize in web design. The developer determines the structure and design of the webpage. The developer converts the UI/UX design frame to the actual code to create the visual elements of the applications.
They work closely with UI designers and implement the design using code. They need to strike a balance between aesthetics and functionality of the web-page. One of their duties is to ensure the page is optimized on smartphone devices as well.
The web developer helps to define how the webpage looks and functions. Remote front end developer’s job roles and responsibilities are similar to front end developer except he or she works from a remote location.
- Determine the structure and format of the webpage.
- Interact with UI/UX designer accounts for user experience and ensure the technical feasibility of the design and include features that will improve user experience.
- Ensure the website design is optimized for mobile devices.
- Build the program with reusable code and libraries for future use.
- Make sure the brand consistency is maintained throughout web-design.
- Use different mark-up languages while developing web-page.
- Diagnose and fix problems related to web-design if any.
- Produce effective results and complete the project within the stipulated time frame.
- Create server and database functionality if required.
- Ascertain the responsiveness of the webpage.
Market opportunity for remote front end developer jobs
Front-end developer jobs are in demand in large companies and start-ups. Several businesses are completely based on the internet or mobile apps. The visual layout, UI/UX interaction, and the look and feel of websites have become very important. Websites need to fast, accurate, and efficient.
Front–end development is extremely important because it is the first interaction customers have with the company. Companies now prioritize front-end development and have a concrete strategy in place. The first interface of the website needs to inspire confidence and trust and helps with the companies branding.
With companies demanding better interfaces for their websites and apps front end developer jobs will be in demand.
Career paths under remote front end developer jobs
It is one of the best times to become a remote front end developer. Employment opportunities have grown by 20% over ten years (2012-2022). Front end developers are one of the most dependable skillsets today. You can opt for a full-time career and salaried position or opt for more flexibility as a freelancer or independent contractor. You are responsible for getting your own business.
Remote front end developer jobs can give you the flexibility of looking for your clients and selecting your projects. The job can give you high job satisfaction and allow you to take complete ownership of your project without the corporate red-tape.
Once you get some experience you can become a web consultant. As a web consultant, you will have greater freedom in selecting your clients. You help to build websites and apps for your clients. You manage and maintain your client’s website. Web consultants can get a reliable source of income.
Remote front end developer jobs can be full-time jobs. A skilled programmer can make rapid progress and lead a team. You could progress to become a technical director or chief technical director of your firm. As a trainee, most companies help to build your basic programming and problem-solving skills. Senior front end developers still code but will be taking on more complex tasks and will have greater freedom at work. Senior developers lead the meeting and interact with clients, and help the newer members of your team.
Technical directors guide the whole department. You are expected to take project management decisions about staffing, budget allocations, and tools. CTO (Chief Technical officers) do not code instead take management decisions. A bulk of your time will be spent on creating and managing goals for your development team.
Qualification and skills needed for remote front end developer jobs
Most remote front end developer jobs ask for a degree in computer science or related fields. The developer must have an innate understanding of design principles. Front end developers need the following technical skills,
- HTML or HyperText Markup Language/CSS is the standard markup language used to create web pages. CSS is used to style the webpage. The CSS page creates the layout, color, fonts, etc. HTML/CSS is considered to be the building block for developing websites.
- CSS Preprocessor is another component that is used by developers to write the CSS code faster and more easily. The CSS preprocessors use preprocessors such as Sass, LESS, or Stylus allows developers to add extra functionality and scalability to the CSS. SASS and LESS are two of the most sought-after preprocessors according to job listings.
- Version Control System allows developers to keep track of the changes made to the code over time. This allows users to revert to the last working version in case of errors. Gits is the most widely used version control system used today.
- Responsive design is required because we use a large number of devices to use the web. Pages need to have a responsive design to adjust to varying screen sizes. Developers need to adapt their code to ensure usability on various devices.
- Test/Debugging is a vital part of any programming. A unit test is a process of testing individual blocks of code. Function testing checks the functionality of your site. Testing is a core part of any development activity.
Besides technical skills, most remote front-end developer jobs require soft skills are the ability to work in a team, problem-solving skills, self-motivated, and good communication skills.
Recommended certifications for remote front end developer jobs
Front end development is an important aspect of web development. In case you have just graduated from school or are new to the industry and don’t have the requisite experience. Certification can help you prove your skill and competence for remote front end developer jobs. It is important to start your career on a strong foundation. Some of the recommended certification to get remote front end developers job are:-
1. Front-end development course of W3C
This program was developed by the world wide web consortium or (W3C). This is a paid course that teaches users to build an interactive and responsive user experience. It offers assistance guidance, tips, and practices to improve your web design. After completion of the course, developers should know how to build websites with the latest standards. W3C courses have instructors that work in the industry(Microsoft and Intel). The program covers 5 front-end development courses,
- CSS Basics
- HTML5 and CSS fundamentals
- HTML coding essentials and practices
- HTML 5 apps and games
2. Front-end development course with React
- Learn about React
- Utilize Reactstrap for Bootstrap.
- Learn about React components and forms
- Implement features of React
3. Basics of HTML5 and CSS3
Foundation of Front-End Development and Master the Basics of HTML5 & CSS3: Beginner Web Development from Udemy is a good certification to consider. There are two courses specifically designed for front-end developers newcomers. There are two components,
- The second course has 38 lectures are divided into 3 sections. The course has in-depth tutorials to let users practice.
4. Front-end development courses from freeCodeCamp
5. UI/UX Design specialization by Coursera
A front-end developer needs to interact with the designers. It is important to have a basic understanding of UI design. The course helps the developer have a design-centric approach. The course includes
- Visual Elements of User Interface Design
- UX design fundamentals
- Web design: strategy and information architecture.
- Web design: wireframes to prototype.
6. Front-end Web Developer by LinkedIn
The course developed by LinkedIn offers 6 front end development courses offers certifications. The rigorous courses cover the basics of HTML to using the various tools required by the industry.
Also Read: Remote paralegal jobs | A complete guide
Top 10 tools needed for remote front end developer jobs
1. Code Editors
Most developers write their code for the website on code editors. The editor provides the plain text format needed to write your code that will be interpreted by the website. Some editors have useful add-on features and tools. Atom, Sublime Text, and Visual Studio Café are top code editors.
2. Version Control System
A remote front-end developer needs a version control system to track the changes you make to the code over time. The version control system gives you the flexibility to revert to the earlier version of your code. Git and Apache Subversion (SVN) are the top version control system.
3. Front-end Boilerplates
4. Front-end Assets
Front-end Assets will help developers improve like fonts, icons, photos, and graphics, of your website. The assets can help developers make sure the website can work with multiple screen sizes. Google Fonts, Font Awesome, and Unsplash are the best Front-end Assets.
5. Front-end Framework
Front-end frameworks are packages of files for styling and layout. The framework has ready to use navigation menu, forms, typography, and other assets. Bootstrap, Semantic UI, and Tailwind CSS are some of the top front-end frameworks.
6. CSS Preprocessors
CSS preprocessors help give the CSS more features. Preprocessors help you read, maintain, and share. CSS preprocessors allow your code to become cleaner and organized code. Less and Sass are the best CSS preprocessors.
9. Developer Tools
Developer tools or dev tools allow the user to make modifications and test how it will look on the browser. Dev Tools are built on web browsers that let you see the code behind each section of a site. The recommended developer tools are Chrome Dev Tools, Firefox page Inspectors, Microsoft Edge Developer Tools, and Safari Web site Inspector.
10. Code Validators
Code Validators help to determine if your code meets the current standards and best practices of the industry. The best code validators are considered to be W3C Markup Validators Service and WAVE.
11. Online Code Environment
Code environment is a site that allows you to write code on online editors and check the code immediately. These platforms are fast and allow developers to experiment. CodePen and JSBin are considered to be the best online code environments.
Also Read: Remote finance jobs | Know before you start
Top places to find remote front end developer jobs
Before you apply for a remote front end developer jobs it is useful to gain some hands-on programming experience. The web development field is vast with many avenues you can pursue. Before you apply for a remote front-end developer job you need to consider what kind of jobs you want to pursue.
It is important to focus your search on your skill sets and your career goals. You need to highlight your track record of successful system intervention and problem resolution. Some of the top places where the front end developer can find jobs are,
- Authentic Jobs
- Smashing Jobs
Top 25 dream companies for remote front end developer jobs
With the popularity of smartphones and tablets increasing every year, companies are looking for ways to improve their online presence. Several of these companies operate completely remotely. The top dream companies for remote front end developer jobs are,
- 10up is a web developing and consulting service that employs over 120 people.
- Arkeney is a consulting firm that builds software, trains programmers, and produces books and webinars.
- Articulate is a software development firm that creates e-learning courses for mobile and internet.
- Automattic has produced many tools used extensively in web development. The company employs 500 people located in 50 countries.
- Buffer makes social media management tools.
- Edgar is a social media tool company spread across the US and Canada.
- Fire Engine Red provides marketing, technology, and data solutions. They are 100% remote company.
- FlexJobs helps job seekers find jobs. The company specializes in telecommunication jobs, part-time jobs, and freelance work.
- Genuitec is a software company helping companies streamline their development cycle.
- GitLab is a code collaboration platform built for large firms.
- Ghost is a blogging platform.
- Groove makes simple desk software for smaller firms.
- Hubstaff is a time tracking software that helps with payroll and attendance schedules.
- How to Geek is an online magazine for Geeks.
- Invision is a design collaboration and prototype platform.
- Knack is a cloud-based database tool allowing users to manage, share, and utilize their data.
- Rocana offers advanced analytical tools for software firms.
- Scrapping Hub is a web-crawling expert company.
- Doist is a company that makes productivity apps and browser extensions.
- Toggl is a time tracking Software Company.
- Toptal has a network of freelance developers and designers.
- YNAB is a company best known for its budgeting app.
- Zapier creates an automation tool allowing users to send emails.
- Stripe is a global payment gateway
- AirBnB is a vacation rental marketplace
Top resume elements of remote front end developer jobs
A resume is a document used to present and highlight your qualifications, skills, and achievements to potential employees. Your application must stand out from the other applicants for the job. You need to summarize your skills and area of expertise. This includes highlight the projects you have worked on. Your resume should have your latest contact details.
Remote front end developer jobs pay structures
The salary of a remote front-end developer job depends on the experience of the candidate. The average salary for remote front end developer jobs is $97000/ year or $50/hour. Entry-level jobs for remote front end developers start at $45,000/year, junior front developers can earn $60,000/year and experienced workers earn up to $138665/year. Remote front end developers job pay structures depending on the region.
Remote entry level front end developer jobs
Whether you are self-taught or a new graduate getting your first job as a front-end developer can be daunting. Remote front end jobs can be contracts work or freelance work.
You can volunteer your programming skills. This will help you get some valuable hands-on experience. Opt for a freelance opportunity in smaller firms. Websites such as Upwork, unremot.com, and Fiverr offer ad-hoc projects. Open source projects where the code is available online. This is the perfect opportunity for a remote front end developer to practice their skills and collaborate with other developers.
You need to devote time every day looking for new jobs if you are interested in remote entry-level front end developer jobs. Networking becomes important. Participate in an online forum. Besides online job opportunities, you need to look at off-line options such as newsletters or magazines