Hiring a copywriter? Need to know how and where to find the best candidates? Here is a comprehensive guide to finding the best copywriters. Read on!
Do you own a particular brand and you want to promote it on online platforms? If yes, you can’t do without a copywriter. When you have a brand and an audience in your mind, you need to develop a voice that can help you in the online promotion of the product or services you offer.
Hiring professional copywriters can allow you to keep the voice of your brand consistent across all platforms. Thus, your target audience will get the same feeling and information across all platforms. In the present digital age, every brand needs a copywriter who can help you in digital marketing success.
Market for freelance copywriter
Quality content production is on rising. As per a report, compelling copy draws 7.8% more traffic and produces better engagement for the brand. According to 56% of marketers, quality content is the need of the hour, and to keep up with the competition, it is essential for all businesses to look for the best copywriting consultant.
Businesses these days look for different types of posts that can be used for different platforms. For example, the same content can’t be used for Linkedin and Facebook. As per a report, 73% of companies and businesses believe that hiring someone to take care of content needs helps them garner better results.
In fact, businesses that have someone to take care of quality content production were able to earn 6-times higher conversion rates. Thus, investing in getting quality content can help you reap benefits for your businesses as well as your brand.
No matter if you hire a copywriter who can work full time or you hire a freelance copywriter, try to have a team that can help you in producing quality content that is plagiarism-free and error-free.
Also Read: Hire Logo Designer | Know before you start
Things to note while hiring copywriter
If you are thinking about hiring freelance advertising copywriters, you need to pay attention to the following points,
1. Know your goal
You will be able to hire a good copy writer, if you know your requirement. You need to know the principle points that you can communicate to the freelance copywriter. You need to have a proper understanding of the target audience, your message, and the uniqueness of your business.
The website copywriters you hire should work as per the schedule. You can’t throw a rush job for a copywriter as they need enough time to go through the content copy.
3. Writing medium
These days different platforms and mediums look for different qualities of writing. When you are looking for free lance writers for hire, make sure to know if the copywriter has enough experience in writing for the medium you use.
4. Don’t be too adamant about the industry
Most people get adamant that they need freelance copywriters who have experience of working for a particular industry. Don’t be too adamant about your choice. Writers are quite flexible beings and they can write on any topic as per your demand.
5. Ask for a reference
If you are unable to find good freelance copywriters for hire, you can ask for references on different portals to be sure that you can get the best candidates for the job.
Well, the quote is quite true, you get what you pay for. You will get what you pay for. Thus, keep your budget in mind when you are looking for top copywriters.
Just a handshake won’t work when it comes to hiring a professional copywriter, especially if you are looking for a freelancer. Make sure to have a contract copywriter who can work with you as per the predetermined terms and conditions.
You can’t hire a freelance marketing copywriter, without getting enough background knowledge about the candidate
9. Communication skills
Although writers and copywriters are great at communication. Make sure to check the communication skill of the candidate before hiring.
Always know about the past working experience as well as educational experience of the candidate before hiring him/her as an online copywriter.
Also Read: Hire UI Designer | A complete guide
Qualifications of best copywriters
If a person has copywriting and editing skills, he/she can become the best copywriters of all time. But, try to look for a candidate, who has at least a bachelor’s degree. If you are looking for a copywriter for the English language, the person needs to have experience and knowledge about English.
You need to check the portfolio of the candidate before hiring him/her as a copywriter freelancer. The portfolio of the copywriter should consist of at least 20-25 pages of speculative ads that can depict the creativity of the candidate. You can choose copy writers, if they have educational qualifications from the below-mentioned colleges and universities.
|The Northwestern University||Illinois|
|University of Iowa||Iowa|
|Hamilton college||New York|
|Brown University||Rhode Island|
|Washington University||St. Louis|
|University of Michigan||Michigan|
|John Hopkins University||Maryland|
Skills and qualities to look for in Copywriter
Following are the major skills that you need to check when looking for a copywriter for hire.
Curiosity in the mind of freelance advertising copywriter, gives clarity and thus, they are able to write quality content for different advertising on different platforms.
For a copyrighters, nothing is boring or trivial. Thus, try to look for a candidate who is passionate about the work he/she is doing.
The passion and curiosity won’t work if the copywriter you have chosen does not have the needed vocabulary to write whatever is in his head.
You must have heard that the devil is in the detail and the same goes for a freelance English copywriter. Make sure that the candidate can write with complete precision as per the need.
Try to search freelancers, who can work diligently towards the task provided. It is important to be sure that the writer can work as per the given deadline.
In the real world, professional freelancers copywriters have to juggle between different tasks all at once. Thus, make sure that the candidate you are choosing has the multitasking ability.
Focus is one of the major attributes that you need to look for when you are looking for copywriter titles.
Although lots of editing tools are available in the market, a freelance copywriter should be able to edit the article as per need.
Try to look for a copywriter editor, who can write on different topics. Versatility is the need when it comes to anything related to writing.
10. Consistent quality
It is very important for copywriters to be consistent in the quality of content they produce.
Certifications to look for in copywriter
If you are looking for a best copywriter, you need to know if the candidate has the needed certification. Following are the major certifications you should look for in a copywriter.
1. Content strategy for professional specialization – This certification is offered by Coursera and it culminates in a capstone project where you can show your skills you’ve earned during the 5-week course.
2. Content marketing certification – The certification is offered by Hubspot and it offers opportunities to understand every little detail about content marketing to the copywriter.
3. Writing and editing – Editing is as important as writing and thus, platforms like Copyblogger offer complete certification in writing and blogging. This certification enables candidates to prevent different errors they make while writing and editing.
4. AWAI – American Writers and Artists Inc, offers different certifications to copywriters that can help in understanding the niche copywriting market, B2B Copywriting, and web publishing.
5. Mediabistro – You can also look for copywriting certifications offered by Mediabistro. You can also get certifications for blogging, B2B copywriting, and digital journalism.
Try to choose a marketing copywriter, who has any of these certifications so that you can get a good candidate for a copywriting task.
Copywriter rate per hour
If you are looking to find freelance copywriter, you need to have a proper idea about the cost charged for professional copywriting. In The USA, the average hourly rate for professional copy writing is $28.41 per hour.
The hourly wage can vary from one candidate to another. While the highest wage offered to best copywriters is $49.76. On the other hand, the lowest wage was $19.95. When it comes to hourly wages in Europe, the hourly rate for famous copywriters is between Euro 80 to Euro 120 per hour.
In some regions in Europe, you can also find few copywriters who charge almost Euro 150 per hour. The average charge for copywriters in Asia is $48 per hour. The rate can vary from one location to the other in Asia. Thus, you need to have a budget of $50 on average to hire copywriter.
Places to find best copywriter
If you are worried about how to find a copywriter, these platforms can help you. Following are the best platforms that can help you find copywriters with maximum ease,
1. Contently – If you are looking for more than one candidate for copywriting as well as content writing, Contently can be the best platform to hire freelance copy writer.
2. unremot.com – one of the best places to find remote copywriters with a 100% guarantee on delivery and timelines.
3. Scripted – No matter if you are looking for a blog post or an email copy, Scripted can help you to find top freelancers.
4. ProBlogger – This is one of the renowned and respected platforms that can help you look for copywriters for hire.
5. Mediabistro – This is a media job listing platform that can help you in hiring quality copywriters at affordable writers.
6. Skyword – This is a premium content marketing platform, but the platform has job listings for different copywriters. You can hire freelance copywriter from this platform with maximum ease.
7. CloudPeeps – This is a meticulously curated freelance platform. You can look for the best freelance copywriting services at this platform.
8. Freelance writing.com – This is free to advertise platform, where you can post a free advertisement for cheap copywriting services.
9. Writer access – This platform has more than 14000+ copywriters and more than 20,000 customer base. Thus, hiring a copywriter from this platform becomes quite easy.
10. Freelance writing gigs – This is another best website that can help you get in touch with IT copywriter as per your needs.
11. Zerys – This marketplace is specially designed for small business people who are looking for a copywriter to get a creative copy to boost their business and products.
Top 10 companies hiring Copywriter and salaries
If a candidate is looking for marketing copywriter freelance tasks, they can check these platforms to get the best jobs. Even employers can check this platform to get in touch with a good freelancer.
|Company name||Salary offered|
|FCB Health Network||$95,668|
Steps involved in hiring best copywriter
If you are looking to find a copywriter, follow all these steps,
1. Know the type of content you need
It is important to know your requirement before you try to look for the best copywriter. Thus, try to know if you are looking for a copywriter for the task of blog posts, article writing, email writing, or case studies.
2. Know your budget
It is important to know your budget before you hire a copywriter. Knowing your budget will prevent you from wasting your time in hunting for the best copywriter.
3. Right skills
It is crucial to get knowledge about the skills and expertise of a copywriter before you hire. Some of the major skills that you need to check to include punctuation, grammar, continent formatting, and writing skills.
4. Portfolio and reference
Hiring a professional copywriter before checking the portfolio and reference can be the most expensive mistake you can make. Thus, make sure to check the portfolio as well as the reference before hiring a copywriter.
5. Schedule a meeting
Always schedule a meeting or a video interview with the candidate before hiring him for the position of copywriter in your organization.
Also Read: Hire Technical Writer | A complete guide
Top 10 interview questions for copywriter
1. What is your writing process?
Rationale: This question can be asked to know if the copywriter is skilled and organized or not.
Sample Answer: My writing process varies depending upon the type of project I get and the deadlines I have to meet.
2. What is the most important quality of good content?
Rationale: This question will help you in understanding if the candidate understands the nitty-gritty of content copy creation.
Sample Answer: The most important quality of good content is its readability. If the readers can’t understand the motive, there is no point in writing the content piece.
3. How do you manage time and deadlines?
Rationale: The question is intended to know if the copywriter will be able to manage and deadline needed for a project.
Sample Answer: I use different editorial calendars to pay attention to time management as well as deadlines.
4. How do you tailor a particular content as per the needs of different audiences?
Rationale: This is a specific question that will enable you to know if the candidate understands the audience niche.
Sample Answer: I complete the audience research as the first task before I write any content piece.
5. Will you be able to complete a writing assignment if asked?
Rationale: This can be a litmus test to know about the seriousness of the candidate
Sample Answer: Yes, If my job requirement will be to complete a writing assignment, I will be glad to complete it.
6. Will you be able to manage a big team if needed?
Rationale: This question will help you know if the candidate is capable of handling responsibilities.
Sample Answer: Yes, I will be more than happy to handle such a responsibility.
7. What types of content have you produced in your previous jobs?
Rationale: This question will help you know about the versatility as well as the flexibility of the candidate
Sample Answer: I used to write blog posts, articles, Press Releases, and advertisement copy for the last company I was working for.
8. How do you optimize an on-page SEO?
Rationale: This is a technical question that will help you know the technical knowledge depth of a candidate.
Sample Answer: I have knowledge about Keyword research and how it is placed at titles, metatags, and descriptions.
9. Do you understand lead generation and sales funnel
Rationale: This is a question that will help you know if the candidate is aware of the marketing aspect of the content.
Sample Answer: Yes, I understand lead generation and sales funnel. I try to align my content creation as per a buyer’s journey.
10. How do you manage stress at work?
Rationale: This question will enable you to know if the candidate is capable enough to manage work efficiently
Sample Answer: I meditate every day for the past seven years to make sure that I am able to manage all types of stress.
Top 10 tools to use while hiring copywriter
The hiring volume in 2021 is expected to rise by 61%. Thus, you need the best tools that can help you in hiring a candidate with maximum ease. Following are the major hiring tools that you can use,
1. AI Tools – Artificial Intelligence is a tool that has been used for different tasks and it can be one of the best tools that can be used to hire professional copywriters.
2. Candidate rediscovery tools – This tool will help you in minimizing the existing resumes so that you can get fresh candidates who are suitable for the job.
3. Recruitment chatbot – The recruitment chatbots were introduced in 2018 and since then, it has become one of the most preferred tools for recruitment.
4. De-biasing software – This tool will help you in removing bias from the job description, resume screening, as well as sourcing.
5. Super-targeting of job ads – The targeting tool will enable you to target the best candidates for copywriting on different platforms.
6. Recruitment marketing software – The marketing software will enable you to target messaging and different other steps so that you can market the job position you are offering.
7. Tracking of application – For maximum convenience of hiring suitable candidates and tracking of candidates, tools for tracking of application is a must.
8. Assessment tool – The recruitment assessment tools are another major tool that can help you to assess the experience as well as skills of the candidate.
9. Background screening – Different background screening tools are available in the market that can help you choose suitable candidates for the job.
10. Video interview tool – In the present circumstances, video interview tools are a must to test the skills as well as knowledge of the candidate.
Dos and donts while hiring copywriter
List of Dos,
- The copywriter you are choosing must be creative
- The copywriter must be curious to know about recent happening in the industry
- Try to check the experience of the copywriter you are choosing
- Try to check the educational qualification of the candidate before hiring
- Check, if the copywriter has best editing skills
- Try to explain your project needs before hiring a copywriter
- Make sure to interview the candidate before hiring
- Make sure to conduct a background check of the candidate before hiring
- Ask about the tools and software that a copywriter uses
- Don’t hire a copywriter who knows how to write only a single type of content
List of Donts,
- Don’t hire any candidate without checking every little detail
- Don’t hire a candidate only on the basis of the charge
- Don’t pay too much attention to technical skills
- Never hire a candidate without a face-to-face interview
- Don’t hire a candidate who is great at writing only a specific type of content copy
- Don’t welcome everyone
- Don’t forget to inform the candidate about the type of project and client you have
- Don’t leave things and terms and conditions unsaid
- Don’t ignore your budget
- Don’t rush in the hiring process
How much does a copywriter charge per hour?
A quality copywriter will work for at least $20-$50 per hour. The cost per hour can also depend upon the type of candidate you are looking for and the type of content you expect.
How many hours do copywriters work?
This depends upon the type of projects they are working on. On average, copywriters work for a minimum of 8 hours every day.