Want to hire one of the best accountants? Here’s a list of the top 25 accountants of Jan 21, the skills you must look for, and how to hire them!
No matter if you have a big established business or you have a startup, you can’t handle the financial matters of your business all by yourself. To handle all types of finances and everyday numbers, you need to recruit accountants. With the disastrous impact of the pandemic, don’t let your business suffer.
Now you can find a certified public accountant who can work as a freelancer for your business. Beyond handling the crunching numbers, freelance accountants can help you organize day-to-day financial matters of your company. They can also offer you expert advice on your practical business problems and make sure that you are on the right track when it comes to the finances of your business.
Market for accountants
99% of businesses today are small ventures, and they admit that they don’t have enough knowledge about accounting or anything related to accounts. Almost 42% of businesses want their accountants to give them financial advice. Thus, there is a huge demand when it comes to hiring an accountant.
With the upcoming new digital era, businesses want to hire an accountant who is well-versed with new accounting tools and processes. As per an expert prediction, most of the businesses will be looking for an accountant who can work as a freelancer. This saves the energy and resources of the businesses.
When you hire an accountant online, you save your time, resources, as well as energy. The job growth in the freelancer accounts sector will grow by 6% by the year 2028. Companies look for general accountants as well as specialized accountants.
Thus, candidates can have ample opportunities for freelance accounting jobs. As per a prediction, on average, the freelance accountant sector will employ more than a million accountants by the year 2028.
Only 14% of business owners have substantial knowledge about accounting, and thus, the accountant for hire sector can see a major boost. So, get ready to get lots of opportunities in the freelance accounting sector by getting the necessary skills and expertise.
Also Read: Hire freelance SEOs | A complete guide
Things to note while hiring accountants
When you hire an accountant, you need to pay attention to different factors. This is especially important when you are hiring a freelance accountant for your business needs. Following are some of the major factors that you need to consider,
1. Value for money
Freelance accounting rates may vary depending upon the type of business you own. Hiring freelance accountants can help you in completing different accounting and bookkeeping tasks. When you are looking for an accountant, make sure to know that they offer value for money. You also need to take care of the accounting consulting rates before you finalize the deal.
Accountants for you should be such that he/she will be able to handle all accounting tasks related to your business. Thus, make sure to check the qualification of the candidate before asking the hiring rate for accountants. This way, you will be able to get well-qualified freelance accountants.
If you are looking to hire accountants, you can get references. You can check different job posting websites to get better references. Platforms like Unremote can help you know how to hire an accountant. You can also seek references from the previous company or the organization they work for.
4. Fix rates
You should have a complete idea about freelance accounting salary before you choose an accountant for freelancing. Rate fixation will enable you to hire accountants who will be suitable as per the budget of your business and organization.
Expertise is another major factor that you need to consider when choosing an accountant for freelancers. Before hiring someone, make sure to understand your needs. You need to search for someone who can address the needs of your business appropriately. These days everything works digitally. Thus, it is important to look for someone who can work according to the digital age.
6. Good reputation
Good qualification does not mean you will get reputed accountants for hire. Make sure to look for someone who has integrity and reputation.
Just like you hire an employee, you need to check the personality and skills when you choose accountants for hire. You want to hire someone who has a personality that is suited as per the reputation of your company.
8. Audit experience
Before you recruit accountants, make sure to know if they have audit experience or not. The accountant you choose should have the necessary experience in auditing company accounting.
9. Computer literacy
In the present digital age, it is important to look for accountants for hire who have the necessary computer literacy. Tech-savvy freelance accountants have the capability to work quickly and efficiently.
You should also check the certification before hiring accountants. This way, you will be able to know if the accountant is skilled enough or not.
Qualities of best accountants
Before you look out for accounting for hire, it is important to look at the qualities of the accountant. Following are the major qualities that you should check when you hire accountants.
1. Excellent organization
The accountant you hire must have the necessary organizational skill. The accountant you hire needs to keep up with all types of figures, data, and paperwork in their everyday life.
2. Time management
Time management is one of the essential traits that you should look for when you find accountants. It is important to know if the freelance accountant will be able to manage time effectively for your project.
3. Attention to details
Attention to every little detail and every penny spent is highly essential when you are looking to get an accountant. Attention to detail will ensure that the accountant will have an eye for due diligence.
4. Focus on the client
Being an accountant does not mean that you have to focus only on numbers. You also have to focus on client handling tasks. Thus, the accountant that you are hiring must have better communication skills.
You read it right! Creativity is another important thing that you need to look at when you get an accountant. Great accountants have out-of-the-box ideas, and they come up with fresh solutions to every accounting problem.
Commitment is another major personality trait that you need to look at when hiring an accountant for your business and organization.
You will share all your financial information with the accountant. Thus, it is important to know that the accountant is trustworthy.
8. Communication skill
The freelance accountant that you will choose for your organization must have good communication skills so that he/she can handle clients with maximum ease.
Even if you are hiring a freelance accountant, they may have to work within a team. Thus, it is important to have good collaboration skills.
Accountants who are able to embrace changes and are flexible in their approach are well-suited for all types of organizations.
Accountants rate per hour
Do you want to know the hiring rate for accountants? The accounting consultant’s hourly rate may depend on different factors. The hourly rate for freelance accountants in 2020 is $27 as of November. But the rate may vary depending upon the skills, experience, expertise, and certification.
If you are thinking about accountant consultant fees, you may need to pay anything between $20 to $30 in the USA. If you are looking for a freelance accountant from Europe, the hourly rate for an accountant that you need to pay is € 150 to €200. But, this price may vary depending upon the services you need and the complexity of the task.
When you are hiring freelance accountants from Asia, you may have to pay slightly less accounting consultant rates. You may need to pay anything between $10 to $20 as accounting consultant rates. Getting details about accounting consultation rates will help you in choosing accountants as per your budget.
Places to find best accountants
Do you want to know how to find great tax accountants? If yes, you need to know about the best sites to recruit accountants. Following are the list of best places to find the best accountants,
- Indeed: You can find accountants near me by getting jb subscription by Indeed.
- unremot.com: This is one of the best platforms where you can find talented and experienced accountants as well as other freelancers.
- Google for jobs: This is a free platform that will help you in hiring talented freelance accountants from all around the world.
- Glassdoor: Glassdoor is one of the most authentic platforms to find people available for jobs.
- iHireAccounting: This platform is specially created to hire accountants.
- Linkedin: You can use Linkedin paid version as per as free version to choose the best accountants for your business.
- Monster: This is the oldest site that will help you in choosing the best accountants from all over the world.
- Find jobs near you: This platform will help you in recruiting candidates who are located near you.
- Career builder: You need a few bucks to select the best candidates from this platform.
- Toptal: Toptal offers free as well as the paid version of the job ad posting option.
Steps involved in hiring best accountants
Are you worried about how to find top accountants? If yes, follow all these steps to choose the best freelance accountant for your business and organization.
1. Ask for a referral
You can look for a reference from someone related to the accounting field when you want to hire an accountant. This way, you will be able to hire a suitable candidate for the job. Try to make sure to take reference from someone you trust.
2. Choose a certified accountant
It is always advisable to choose someone for an accounting task which has the needed certification. Even if you have a small business, a certified professional can help you in getting good quality work.
3. Lookout for hiring platforms.
Hiring platforms like Linkedin and unremot.com can help you in choosing accountants with maximum ease. These platforms make the task of hiring professionals easier and better.
4. Look for experience
It is highly advisable to choose an accountant with the needed experience for the job. This way, you can be sure that you will get the task done by professionals with enough knowledge and experience.
5. Ask for the cost breakdown.
One of the biggest questions that business owners face these days is how much it is to hire an accountant. Well, the answer to this question can depend on different factors like your need, the skills you expect, and the type of services you need. Make sure to keep your budget in mind when you are hiring a freelance accountant.
Top 10 interview questions to ask while hiring accountants
You need to ask specific questions to accountants so that you can choose the candidate with the best skills and experience.
1. How do you stay up to date about the recent development in accounting?
Rationale: The rationale behind the candidate is if the candidate stays up-to-date about the field he is working In.
Sample Answer: Yes, I try to stay up-to-date by getting regular updates from the best publications and journals.
2. What are the top three skills that every accountant must-have?
Rationale: The rationale behind this question is that if the candidate understands the requirement of the job.
Sample Answer: The top three skills that every accountant must have to include big data concepts, communication skills, and customer service skills.
3. What type of accounting software have you used in your last job?
Rationale: The rationale behind this question is to know if the candidate has enough knowledge about different types of accounting software.
Sample Answer: I have used Accounting software like QuickBooks Online and FreshBooks in my last job.
4. What types of reports have you generated in your last job?
Rationale: This question will enable you to know if the accountant knows how to create reports.
Sample Answer: I have experience in generating income and cash flow statements and reports.
5. Have you made any accounting errors? How did you handle it?
Rationale: The rationale behind this question is to know if the candidate will be able to handle work-related stress.
Sample Answer: Yes, I have made few errors. My seniors help me in rectifying the errors in accounting.
6. Tell me about a time when you had to present a financial statement to non-financial staff.
Rationale: This question will help you know if the candidate can work within a team.
Sample Answer: When I had to present and explain a financial statement to a non-financial person, I used different examples and illustrations to make him understand.
7. Will, you be able to work on a tight deadline?
Rationale: This question will enable you to know if the candidate will be able to work in a tight schedule.
Sample Answer: Yes, I like to work as per the deadline. In fact, deadlines help me to increase my efficiency.
8. What is the toughest accounting challenge you have faced?
Rationale: This will help you know how skilled and efficient the candidate is.
Sample Answer: I have taken help from my seniors to solve tough accounting challenges.
9. Why did you choose to account as your career?
Rationale: This will enable you to know how serious the candidate is about taking the job
I have a passion for accounting, and thus, I chose it as my career.
10. Can you work in a big team?
Rationale: This question will help you determine the team spirit of the candidate.
Sample Answer: Yes, I have experience of working with a team.
Top 10 tools to use while hiring accountants
If you are genuinely serious about hiring professional accountants, you need to use certain tools that can help you in the hiring process,
- Application tracking system – The Application tracking system will help you in streamlining the entire process of recruitment.
- Mobile recruiting tools – More than 2.8 million job seekers make use of mobile devices to get job listings. Mobile is taking recruitment to a new level. Thus, it is important to have a mobile recruiting tool.
- Gamification – Gamification can also be used in the non-gaming world. It can be used to better connect, communicate, and build relationships with candidates.
- Collaborative tool – Collaborative tools can be used for communication with the accountants.
- Location technology – This will enable you to know the real-world geographical position of the candidate.
- Video interview – This will help you in taking face-to-face interviews with the candidate.
- Internet sourcing – This will offer you a vast range of advanced searching techniques.
- Harver – Harver will enable you to predict the job performance of the candidate.
- AssessFirst – This will help you in giving automatic grading to the candidate.
- Plum – This is a psychology powered tool that will enable you in selecting the candidate.
Dos and don’ts while hiring accountants
You need to pay attention to certain Dos and Don’ts when you are hiring an accountant.
- Check if the candidate has the needed skills.
- Check the flexibility as well as experience of the candidate.
- Try to check the versatility of the candidate in terms of using different accounting software.
- Check the communication skill of the candidate.
- Try to know how efficient is the candidate in terms of using digital platforms.
- Know about the educational qualification of the candidate
- Try to know the charges they expect
- Ask the candidate about the level of experience.
- Try to know the certification completed by the candidate.
- Get details about the soft skills as well as technical skills the candidate has.
- Don’t rely solely on one candidate.
- Never select a candidate just by looking at the CV.
- Avoid outsourcing someone who doesn’t have the needed qualification.
- Try not to pay attention to only the experience.
- Don’t choose a candidate only on the basis of salary.
- Don’t overlook the personality and skills of the candidate.
- Don’t hire a candidate without taking up the interview round.
- Don’t hire a candidate who is not certified.
- Don’t overlook the skills of the candidate.
How much do freelance accountants charge?
Freelance accountants don’t charge much. You may need to pay something around $10-$20 per hour if you are hiring a candidate from the USA. In addition to this, the charges can also differ depending upon the location of the candidate and the skills and experience of the candidate.
What is a freelance accountant?
A freelance accountant is someone who can help you in accounting and bookkeeping without visiting your office space. Thus, you don’t have to pay them regular training and salary as you would pay your regular employees.