Looking out for an English to Latin translator? Need to know how and where to find the best candidates? Here is a comprehensive guide to finding the best English to Latin translators. Read on!
How to hire an English to Latin Translator?
English is the most commonly accepted language in major parts of the world. Latin is a language, originally spoken by the people of Rome and is the Italic version of the Indo-European Languages. In western Europe, Latin is still being frequently used in schools, colleges, universities, churches, etc.
The locals are not conversant in English and hence translating from English to Latin is essential. Latin is an ancient and classical language and hence hiring an English to Latin Translator would necessitate a great deal of knowledge and expertise on the language.
The job of an English to Latin Translator will be more focused on written documents, manuscripts, journals, etc. “How to hire English-Latin Translator?” In this article, we will focus on the qualities, skills, academic degrees, certifications to be checked, and the interview questions that need to be listed while hiring an English to Latin Translator.
Also Read: Hire Technical Writer | A complete guide
Hiring market for English to Latin Translator
The job market for professionals engaged in English to Latin translation is very convincing. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that the jobs of translators and interpreters will rise by a whopping growth of about 20% through the years 2019 to 2029.
That’s a substantially high rate compared to other occupations. The reason being there is an influx of people from western Europe in English-speaking countries like the US and the UK. Besides several companies in the US and UK are seeking expansion of their services or retail outlets in western Europe.
Both cases mandate the needs of the services of a classical Latin translator. Another important reason for the significant increase in the job market is being attributed to the strengthening of global ties between emerging markets in western Europe to those of the US and UK.
Legal, healthcare, security, etc. are the key industrial sectors demanding Latin translation services, seeking best English to Latin translators for their firms. A breakdown of the annual salaries of an English into Latin translator in various industrial sectors is mentioned below:
- Professional, scientific, and technical – $57,450
- Government – $57,370
- Hospitals – $50,980
- Educational services – $50,110
Also Read: Hire Graphic Designer | Know before you start
Top 15 recent job titles for English to Latin Translators
You can hire English to Latin translators online or remote, for multiple job roles. The job titles for English to Latin translator that are trending have been enlisted below,
1. Latin Sign Language Translator
Expert in converting English sign language or written language into Latin sign language. They need to proficient in both English and Latin sign languages for effective communication. Yearly Salary ranges from USD 25K at an entry-level to as high as USD 70K for an experienced professional.
2. Community Translator
Responsible for translating written texts to enable communication between the people and the public services. They are often referred to as public service translators. Annual salary varies between USD 50K to USD 55K.
3. Legal Translator
A Legal English to Latin Translator possesses the expertise to translate written legal documents or any other documents used for legal purposes. The salary varies between USD 30K to as high as USD 80K per year.
4. Medical Translator
Translates written medical documents, drug sheets, medical bulletins, training materials from English to Latin, specifically for healthcare, clinical, medical devices manufacturing industrial sector. The salary ranges between USD 38K to USD 50K per annum.
5. Technical Translator
Professionals who translate English to ancient Latin, related to technical documents, user guides or manuals, documents or manuscripts related to any technological area or field. The annual salary ranges between USD 38K to USD 64K.
6. Scientific Translator
Scientific translators are similar to technical translators but focused mainly on scientific documents, manuscripts, research papers, and journals. Their main area of jobs is in Biology or Medicine. The average yearly salary is almost USD 45K
7. Cultural Translator
Responsible for bridging a gap between the cultural variations between a student and the school, college, or university in either of the two languages English or Latin. Salary varies between USD 45K to USD 50K in a year.
8. Foreign Broadcast Translator
Expert in translating English into Latin during debates, conferences, speeches, meetings, administrative tribunals, or courts that are broadcasted in media or news channels. Yearly salary varies between USD 55K to USD 65K.
9. Foreign News Translator
Converting written news in English to old Latin language, majorly for the newspapers, news magazines, online news websites, or even in news channels for the headlines and subtitles. Yearly salary varies between USD 55K to USD 65K.
10. Jurilinguist Translator
Specialized professionals translating English into Latin focused on the written texts in a judiciary like the courts or any official legal documents. The salary varies between USD 60K to USD 80K per year.
11. Literary Translator
Translating classical literature or contemporary literature is the key responsibility of a literary translator. They need to write the entire composition from the beginning till the end to Latin after reading the English version. Salary is approximately USD 51K in a year.
12. Escort Interpreters
They are also referred to as travel interpreters accompanying their clients in various business travels or trips. Attending business meetings, conferences, cultural gatherings, etc. are some of the places they visit along with their customers. The annual salary is almost USD 51K per annum.
Their task is essentially referred to as localization, wherein they translate any English written text or graphics that are utilized in a company’s product, service or brand, into the Latin language. The translation from English to Latin must be in such a manner that it would look it originated from western Europe or Latin-speaking countries. Annual salary varies between USD 45K to USD 50K.
14. Translator Team Leader
Entrusted to monitor a team focused on language translation English to Latin. The person is responsible to ensure the completion of a translation program or activity within the specified timeline. The yearly salary is almost USD 65K.
15. Translator Manager
A person entrusted with managing multiple translator teams. The team leaders report to him or her. Manages coordinates and monitors the successful execution of multiple translation programs. Salary varies between USD 65K to USD 75K per annum.
Also Read: Hire iOS Developer | A how-to guide for beginners
Qualifications to look for in English to Latin Translator
While recruiting the best English to Latin translator, first and foremost you need to check whether the candidate holds a Bachelor’s Degree. It needs to be in English and Latin languages. Secondly, verify whether the candidates have attended learning courses to gain proficiency in writing essays in Latin and English.
If you are looking for sign language English to Latin translating services, then the candidate must attend at least the fundamental classes provided by ASL, American Sign Language. The top colleges and universities offering graduate programs, Master’s or a Doctor’s degree for English to old Latin translation are elaborated below,
- Gallaudet University in Washington D.C. Considered a leader in regular and sign language translation. Offers Master of Arts in Translation and Interpretation programs.
- Kent State University in Ohio. Provides Master of Arts program in translation and also Ph.D. in translation.
- Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey in California. Offers Master of Arts program in Translation, Translation and Localization Management, Translation and Interpretation, and Conference Interpretation.
- State University New York offers a graduate certification program in Translation Research and Instruction and Ph.D. in Translation studies.
- The University of Texas in Dallas. Their Center of Translation Studies focuses on Graduate, Master’s, and Doctor’s degrees.
- Cambridge University provides a Graduate, Master’s, and Doctor’s Degree in languages.
Skills to look for in English to Latin Translator
Along with the educational qualifications, it is recommended to verify the skills and qualities of a good Latin translator. The typical skills that need to be checked while hiring an English to Latin Translator are illustrated below for your quick reference,
- Proficient in both English and Latin language with extensive knowledge of vocabulary, writing skills, grammar, etc.
- Familiarity with the cultural know-how of the two languages and the variations between the people and the countries
- Continual learning abilities on new concepts, words, terms, localizations to be aware of the latest updates on both the languages
- Proficient in computers, especially typing both the languages at a fast speed
- Focus on specific subject areas in translation English to Latin like medical, legal, technical, etc.
- An American to Latin translation expert must possess efficient planning and organizing skills for timely delivery of work activities
- Capable to handle the majority of the work independently since most of the professional Latin translation experts will be working remotely
- Check whether the translator English to Latin expert is able to interact comfortably and easily leveraging the audio and video conferencing tools.
- Capability to leverage an English to Latin Translator app or any free English to Latin Translators software like GK AppsBooks and Reference, English to Latin Dictionary and Translator, etc.
Also Read: Hire Java Developer | A priceless list of tips to succeed
Certifications to look for in English to Latin Translator
If you are seeking the best Latin translator, it is advisable to verify additional certifications or learning courses undertaken by the candidates. Here are the top prominent certifications you can check:
- Certification offered by the American Translators Association in various languages including English and Latin
- Certifications provided by the US State courts
- Certification courses and programs by The National Association of the Deaf and the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf.
- The US Department of State conducts 3 certification programs in English-Latin language translation – Consecutive, Simultaneous and Conference-level.
- National Virtual Translation Center hosts several English to Latiin translation certification programs
- The Certificate Commission for Healthcare Interpreters offers 2 certificate programs of which the Associate Healthcare Interpreter one is for English and Latin
- The National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters offers translation certifications too.
Also Read: Hire Customer Service Representative | A comprehensive guide for beginners
Rate per hour of English to Latin Translator
Now since we are aware of the qualities and qualifications to verify in an English to Latin Translator; the next important ask is, “How much do I need to pay for English to Latin phrase translation services?”
In the US, the hourly rate of professionals to translate English to Latin text varies between USD 35 to USD 60. The rates are different based on the expertise, years of experience, job title, certifications attained, and even the locations. If you are hired for the position of team leader or manager, your salary will rise up to USD 65 to USD 70 in an hour.
In the UK, the hourly rate for an ancient Latin translator will vary between USD 45 to USD 50. In other European countries, the hourly rate of English to Latin translator accuracy is USD 37.
If you are looking for Latin translation help at low costs, it is better to hire freelance Latin translator English to Latin from India or the Asian countries. In India, you can hire a translator English to Latin as low as between USD 15 and USD 20. Other Asian countries essentially offer an hourly rate of USD 25 to USD 30 for a language Latin translator.
Also Read: Hire Social Media Manager | Everything you must know
Top 10 job boards to find best English to Latin Translator
The next important question in the article is, “Where to find the best translator English Latin both at entry-level or experienced level?”
To answer the question, this section highlights the top 10 job boards where you can seek an English translator into Latin expert.
- Upwork – One of the largest job boards to post jobs related to old Latin translator in the form of contract, full time or part-time mode of employment.
- unremot.com – Enables you to gain access into a global workforce to hire an English to Latin Translator within minutes of search, collaborating through video calls, messaging, and chats.
- Indeed – The popular job website containing profiles of a huge pool of translator English to Latin Spanish experts.
- AngelList – Recommended and prominent job board to hire experts in old Latin translations. They support a huge talent pool for recruiting companies to sort and search for the best profile.
- Glassdoor – A prominent job website to look for freelance English to Latin translator profiles against your preferred roles and job description
- SimplyHired – A similar popular website to post job opportunities or search through the profiles of translators be it Cambridge Latin translator or from my other renowned universities or colleges
- Ziprecruiter – The preferred job board to connect to best English to Latin translators for recruitment.
- FlexJobs – Flexjobs is one of the popular websites to search for freelance translators available to work full time, part-time, remote, flexible, contract basis, freelance employment modes.
- Peopleperhour – You can post multiple job posts on the website with the appropriate job description, salary offered, and the preferred mode of employment.
- TheBalanceCareers – You can get yourself listed in the website, allowing potential candidates to apply for the translator job roles in your company
Also Read: Hire UI Designer | A complete guide
Top 10 companies hiring English to Latin Translator and salaries offered
In this section, we will focus on the top 10 companies offering multiple job opportunities for an English to Latin translator. The companies enlisted guarantee an entry-level salary of about USD 45K to USD 50K per annum to an English to Latin translator.
- CyracCom, headquartered in Arizona, is a leading translation and interpretation service provider
- LanguageLine Solutions provides excellent and efficient communication methodologies for non-English speakers, readers, and writers. It is headquartered in California
- A department of the US Department of Commerce – US Census Bureau, that generates and provides data related to the country’s people and economy. It is present in Maryland.
- Welocalize at Maryland offers both content and product translation services to various companies
- Kelly Services in Michigan is a recruiting and staffing firm
- Stratus Video, headquartered in Florida, provides language translation and interpreter services
- VocoVision in Illinois frequently seeks to hire experts who can English translate the phrase into Latin for their therapy programs for children
- MVM, headquartered in Virginia, is a prominent agency providing security services to the military, judiciary, and the government
- ALTA Language Services in Georgia is another company providing language services in the form of translation and interpretation
- Duolingo in Pennsylvania is one of the leading learning platforms for languages.
Also Read: Hire Logo Designer | Know before you start
Top 10 interview questions for English to Latin Translator
Listing down the key questions to be asked while interviewing an English to Latin Translator is a vital part of the recruitment process. To guide you in the activity, enlisted below are the top 10 interview questions and their expected answers for your guidance and reference,
1. Which translation engine or software have you used in translation?
Rationale: To understand the candidate has experience in leveraging the trending tools and technologies in the market for translation
Expected Answer: Ensure the candidate mentions any of the key tools like Linguee, MemoQ, Zanata, SmartCAT, etc.
2. What strategy do you adopt if you experience difficulty in translating a particular piece of work?
Rationale: To check the tenacity of the candidate to handle a crisis situation.
Expected Answer: If the candidate mentions summarizing the writing instead of detailed elaboration of the translation, then you can consider the answer as correct.
3. How do you prepare yourself for a translation session?
Rationale: The question will help you to judge the candidate’s seriousness in offering the translation services.
Expected Answer: The candidate must talk about understanding the purpose of the session, the background checks, participants of the session, discussion topics, etc.
4. Here is a 10 liner English poem written. Can you please translate it into Latin?
Rationale: This exercise will instantly help you to understand the expertise of the candidate.
Expected Answer: The candidate must fluently translate the poem without any ambiguities.
5. Describe a translation experience from your past engagements
Rationale: To judge the past credentials of the candidate in translation.
Expected Answer: Check the candidate’s spontaneous response on the past experience, detailing out the purpose, objectives, and work is done.
6. What are the best practices to be followed in translation?
Rationale: To verify the candidate’s efficiency in executing the translation services with accuracy.
Expected Answer: Ensure the candidate focuses on preparedness before the sessions, dedicated attention to the texts without distractions, avoid ambiguities, etc.
7. Consider me a layman, explain how can a person become an English to Latin translator?
Rationale: The question will assist you to check whether the candidate has followed the correct academic path to become a translator.
Expected Answer: Must speak about the Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctor’s degrees along with the certifications.
8. What are your key considerations of working remotely?
Rationale: Helps to judge whether the candidate is capable to work independently.
Expected Answer: The candidate must be able to demonstrate the collaboration techniques and remote communication mechanism, to be considered for the recruitment.
9. Showcase an example where the timelines were aggressive and how did you meet the deadline
Rationale: To check the tenacity and potential of the candidate to work under pressure and meet deadlines
Expected Answer: The candidate must demonstrate with an example focusing on multi-tasking, proper planning, and organizing skills.
10. What roles and duties have you performed in your past engagements?
Rationale: To check the experience and knowledge level of the candidate and whether it is in sync with the current job roles of your company
Expected Answer: Ensure the candidate’s answer matches with the resume details. Ask the person to elaborate on some duties performed in each of the prior engagements with examples.
Leave a Reply