Hiring a business plan writer? Need to know how and where to find the best candidates? Here is a comprehensive guide to finding the best business plan writers. Read on!
How to Hire a Business Plan Writer?
Every Business needs a solid business plan. No matter who writes business plans, it requires more than just writing skills. If you are looking to hire business plan writers, you need someone who has experience working in the business domain.
The business plan writer you are hiring also needs to be well equipped with skills like business analysis, research, management, and consultation. A business plan writer should also understand the concepts of business forecasting, budgeting, and proper business planning. A plan writer should not also create an impressive business plan but also create exceptional designs to make sure maximum impact is received.
Professional business plan writers also have the capability to design images, graphs, infographics and improve the overall business impact of the business plan. A well-curated and well-written business plan can be helpful in providing proper information to the potential investor in a quick glance.
Hiring market for business plan writer
The sector related to writing services is growing at an unprecedented rate. Because of the rise in digital platforms, many businesses write their business plans and then forward their plan to investors as well as shareholders.
The employment rate of business plan writers is projected to grow at 7% from 2019 to 2029 faster as compared to the average occupation. The employment growth is driven by the expansion of more products and services as well as due to the rise in the number of startups all over the world.
An increase in web-based products is also a reason for the increase in demand for business plan writers. Job opportunities are especially higher for people who have adequate knowledge about the business domain.
Moderate writing training related to the business domain can be helpful. As per statistics released by the labor bureau, there were almost 136,500 business writer and author jobs in 2014. But, as far as the projected annual growth is concerned, the growth is projected to be only 2% annually.
But, people with adequate knowledge about the business domain and proper knowledge can be quite helpful for candidates. If you are thinking about hiring professional business plan writers, make sure if the person has adequate expertise and experience of working in the domain.
Top 15 job titles for business plan writers
Following are the major job titles you can check if you are thinking about hiring the best business plan writers.
1. Grant Writers
A grant writer receives an average salary of $42,879 per year, and their main duty is to identify the source of funding for a business and create persuasive proposals for businesses.
A columnist may also be needed to work as a professional business planner as they have adequate knowledge about current business situations and scenarios. Most columnists try to write about a particular niche. The average salary demanded by a columnist is almost $39,956 per annum.
3. Communication Officer
The average salary demanded by a communication officer is $47,397 per annum. Communication officers can also work as freelance business plan writers. They know how to write marketing plans and branding guidelines for a company.
4. Social Media Manager
The main task of a social media manager is to develop a social media plan for a brand. But, they can also be called professional business plan writers as they know how to curate proper social media plans for your Business. The average salary demanded by a social media manager is$47,745 per annum.
5. Communication Specialist
The main task of a communication specialist is to check and coordinate the corporate and marketing materials before they are distributed. They make sure that content is written in a proper tone and is error-free. The average salary that a communication specialist can demand is $48,858.
The average business plan writer’s cost is $50,846 per year. A copywriter writes different copies for a variety of materials and mediums.
7. PR Manager
The average salary expected by a Public Relations Manager is $54,111 per year. A PR Manager can write my business plan as they can write press releases, speeches, and marketing content for a business.
8. Executive Assistant
An executive assistant also performs business plan writing services, and they also perform administrative tasks for a business executive.
9. Content Marketer
A content marketer expects an average salary of $57,529 per annum. The main task of a content marketer is to compile business plans, blog posts, scripts, and social media posts.
10. Proposal Writer
The average salary expected by a proposal writer is $57,628 per annum. The main task of a proposal writer is to assess requests for proposals that are issued by businesses.
11. Content Strategist
A content strategist expects an annual average salary of $59,920 per annum. A content strategist takes care of all types of content related to a brand or a company, including business plan services.
12. Director of Communication
The main task of a director of communication is to develop communication goals of a business, branding, and style guide. This is one of the highest levels of career options among business plan writers.
13. Promotional Copywriter
The main task of a promotional copywriter is to write a promotional business plan that has no chances of getting rejected by investors and the board of directors. The average salary expectation of a promotional copywriter can be anywhere between $87,989- $93,126.
14. Contract Copywriter
If you are looking for a professional business plan writer, one of the best choices can be hiring a contract copywriter. The average salary demanded by a contract copywriter can be almost $47,838 per annum.
15. Writer Assistant
If you are looking for cheap business plan writers, hiring a writer assistant can also be a good option. The main task of a writer assistant is to write proposal plans, marketing plans, and publicity plans.
Also Read: Hire Bookkeepers | A complete guide
Qualifications to look for in a business plan writer?
If you want to hire someone to write a business plan, it is important to know about the qualifications as well as the expertise of the candidate. A business plan writer has the main task of writing a business plan and also provides financial, marketing, and operation roadmap to stakeholders like investors and shareholders.
Most importantly, it is important for the candidate to have knowledge about the business domain, finance, operations, research, statistics, and related analytical discipline. Thus, writing skills, as well as proper business analytics knowledge, are important for the candidate.
If you are looking for professional business plan writing services, try to check if the candidate has adequate knowledge. Try to hire students who have studied in any of these colleges or universities,
|Columbia University||New York|
|University of Virginia||Virginia|
|New York University||New York|
|Brown University||Rhode Island|
|Johns Hopkins University||Baltimore|
|University of Texas||Texas|
|University of Iowa||Iowa city|
Skills to look for in a business plan writer
If you are looking for a professional business plan writing service, make sure to hire a business plan writer who has the following skills.
- Communication skill – When you are hiring a business plan writer, it is important to make sure that the writer is also a good communicator.
- Discipline – Pay someone to write a business plan only after knowing that person is disciplined and consistent in his/her writing approach. It is also important for the writer to adapt well to different types of business plan writing.
- Organizational skills – Top business plan writers also have appropriate organizational skills. Organizational skills in the candidate will enable him/her to prepare a plan as per the needs of an organization.
- Research skills – Business plan writers needed should also have proper research skills. Different business domains require different types of plans. Thus, it is important to make sure that a person can research all types of data and facts related to Business.
- Editing – A writer also needs to be a good editor. When you get a business plan written, you may also need the document to be edited a few times. Thus, make sure that the writer has adequate editing skills.
Certifications to look for in Business Plan Writer
Most people don’t have much idea about hiring someone to write a business plan. One of the best approaches is to look for someone who has any of these certifications.
- Berkeley’s Business writing Professional Certificate – This is a course specially designed for professionals who want to make a career in business plan writing. The course also enables a candidate to learn about writing effective emails, memos, and report writing.
- Business writing course by Coursera – This is an online certification course that enables a candidate to know about principles that can help them to become a successful business writer.
- Certification in business writing by Google Digital Garage – The course can enable business plan specialists to use simple tools to dramatically improve the task of business plan writing.
- Business writing and communication certificate by NorthWestern.edu – This certificate is specially designed for candidates who want to get projects related to business plan freelance writing services. The program combined current theories of organizational communication and persuasion with the practice of business writing.
- Ninja writing by Udemy – This certification from Udemy will help you to write a top-quality business plan. The techniques and strategies mentioned in this course enable candidates to write spellbinding contents.
Rate per hour of Business Plan Writer
On average, business plan writers get paid anything between $400 and $1000. But, this cost is for a freelance writer’s business plan who will write a single business plan for you. On average, the average freelance rate for business plan writer jobs is almost $50 for an hour.
So having a budget of $1000 gives you an average of 20 hours for an average business writer. If you want freelance writing business plans who have spreadsheet knowledge, you may have to double the price you pay.
In addition to this, if the business plan preparation service also includes financial knowledge, you may have to triple the price. A professional business plan writer may demand $5000 to $20,000 for a complete business plan. If you are hiring a business plan writer from Europe, you may have to pay for a business plan amount of £2,000-£3,000.
Top 10 job boards to find the best Business Plan Writer
If you are looking for someone who can write a business plan for me, check these job boards that can offer a cheap business plan.
- ProBlogger: If you are looking for a freelance blogger, nothing can be better than this platform.
- unremot.com: This is one of the best platforms that business plan writers and hiring managers can check to get in touch with each other.
- FlexJobs: This is a platform that focuses on flexible jobs of all kinds. You can find the best business plan writers on this platform.
- MediaBistro: MediaBistro is a great platform that can help you in hiring someone who can work on a full-time basis for writing and editing tasks.
- WeWorkRemotely: This platform is great for hiring freelance business plan writers.
- UpWork: UpWork is a good job board for freelancers of all types.
- FreelanceWritingGigs: If you want to hire professional writers who are experienced and experts in their field, try to hire writers from this platform.
- Krop Job: Krop is a job board, especially for designers, writers, and programmers.
- Simply Hired: You can witness lots of job postings on this platform every day. The job availability is also updated at this platform quite frequently.
- WhisperJobs: If you want to hire business plan writers for cheap, WhisperJobs is a good job board.
Top 10 companies hiring Business Plan Writer and salaries offered
There are lots of companies that write business plans. But, if you are a candidate and you are looking for the best opportunity for business writing, try to contact these companies,
|Robert Half International||California||$36K-$55K|
|Aquent Vitamin T||Boston||$45K|
|24 seven||New York||$23K|
|Creative Circle||Los Angeles||$55 per hour|
Top 10 interview questions for Business Plan Writer
Following are some of the major questions that you can ask a candidate who has arrived for a business plan writer interview.
1. What will be your strategy for break-even?
Rationale: This is an industry-related question that you can ask a candidate who has arrived for the business plan writing interview. Answers to this question will enable you to know if the candidate understands technical details about the job.
Sample Answer: I will try to play around with financial projections and forecasts to determine the volume of sales needed to cover the expenses and to become profitable.
2. Which style guides for business plan writing are you familiar with?
Rationale: This question will enable you to know if the candidate understands the background knowledge needed for business plan writing.
Sample Answer: Some of the major style guides that I use include associated press, Chicago manual of style, and Modern Language Association.
3. How do you prefer to receive feedback?
Rationale: This is a kind of behavioral question that you can ask a professional business plan services provider.
Sample Answer: For me, feedback is really important, and I actually crave feedback. When it comes to receiving feedback for my writing and business plan compilation, I prefer comments inserted into drafts, and I am also comfortable taking feedback at the end of the month.
4. What’s your research and citation process?
Rationale: This question will enable you to know the working process of the candidate. Some business plan writers don’t follow any citation process. Thus, it is important to know if the candidate follows a good citation and research process.
Sample Answer: I use Chicago manual style and Modern Language Association manual for research and citation.
5. What are some of the best steps for writing a business plan or a business document?
Rationale: This question will enable you to understand the basic approach that writers follow to write a business plan.
Sample Answer: Following are the five major steps I follow to write a business document,
- Noting down the basic purpose of the Business
- Identifying the need of the reader and how to meet the need through the plan
- Generation of ideas and outlining of ideas
- Then, I try to write the first draft.
- In the end, I try to edit and make a revision in the plan document.
6. What are the top mistakes that you need to avoid when writing?
Rationale: This question will enable you to know if the writer knows about the specifics and details about writing.
Sample Answer: Some of the top mistakes that you can avoid include,
- Incomplete sentences
- Comma Splices
- Subject-verb agreement
- Pronoun Choices
7. Do you know the difference between revising a document and editing the document?
Rationale: This is a simple question that you can ask a candidate. This is a beginner-level question that is suitable for beginner questions.
Sample Answer: Revising a document and editing a document are two different tasks. The revision focuses on the content of the document, and editing lays emphasis on minor touches in a document.
8. What are the major points that you keep in mind when writing a business document like a business plan?
Rationale: This question will enable you to understand if the candidate understands the basic difference between writing a business document and different other types of documents.
Sample Answer: Some of the major points that I keep in mind while writing a business plan document includes,
- Focus on the reader’s perspective
- How readers can understand the document
- The tone of the document
9. What are some of the major tools that you use while writing a document?
Rationale: This is a technical question that you can ask a business plan writer.
Sample Answer: Some of the major tools that I use include Grammarly tools, SEO tools, and proper editing and plagiarism tools.
10. What are some of the etiquettes that you follow for business plan writing?
Rationale: This question will enable you to know if the candidate knows details about business plan writing.
Sample Answer: Some of the etiquettes that I follow for business plan writing include,
- Professional writing style
- Efficient writing
- Plagiarism-free content
- Proper documentation