Are you passionate about PHP programming? Keen to take up remote PHP jobs? Here’s a page to kickstart your journey – read on!
What are remote PHP jobs?
Remote PHP jobs are the jobs where a PHP Developer holds the responsibility of writing server-side web applications logic. PHP developers develop back-end components, connect the application with the other web services, and integrate the front-end elements developed by front-end developers with the application.
A PHP developer must also maintain a central database and ensure all front-end requests are responded to effectively and quickly. PHP work involves writing PHP scripts to create and modify client software based on their requirements.
They are also required to troubleshoot applications in case of any fault in PHP programs and document the same for future reference. The average salary for an entry-level PHP developer is around $73,334.
Market opportunity for remote PHP jobs
PHP programming jobs are highly in demand these days in the job market. The U.S Board of Labor Statistics has predicted a 15 percent rise in web development opportunities in the job market by 2026 including PHP positions.
Almost 80% of the websites worldwide use PHP as their scripting language meaning 8 out of 10 websites use PHP. This fact implies that PHP is here to stay for the long run. Despite being an old language, PHP is evolving continuously alongside modern languages.
According to Indeed, entry-level PHP developer jobs have increased a whopping 834% since January 2020. It remains one of the most popular and highly paid languages in recent times. There are several openings for PHP jobs in the USA listed across multiple job boards.
PHP is the most commonly used scripting language for building websites and web applications. With new websites coming up in the market, the demand for a skilled PHP developer would increase in the market.
Also Read: Remote finance jobs | Know before you start
Job titles and career paths under remote PHP jobs
The career path shows you a roadmap of your chosen career and takes you through different roles that you may choose from your job in that particular field. We have given a review of job titles and career paths under remote PHP jobs here,
Entry-level job roles – A PHP programmer joins the industry at entry-level roles which are suitable for people who are fresh out of college or shifting careers. With zero to minimum experience, a PHP professional can get started with developer roles such as web developer, software developer, software engineer, Java developer, interactive developer, etc.
Mid-level job roles – Once you have gained some experience working with PHP programming language and have hands-on knowledge of creating web applications, you can aim for higher roles.
Mid-level PHP job roles are available for those who have some experience or advanced certification in PHP. Some of the job titles you can apply for at mid-level are Lead Developer, Consultant, Senior software engineer, Project manager, Applications developer, Marketing manager, etc.
High-level job roles – A significant experience in PHP development would make you proficient in the language. If you feel you are ready to take up more challenging roles and more responsibilities take up an advanced certification course and apply for higher-level roles such as software architect, Web content manager, Chief Technology Officer, Senior PHP developer, etc.
Also Read: Remote paralegal jobs | A complete guide
Qualification needed for remote PHP jobs
The below section summarises the qualification needed to fetch remote PHP jobs,
1. Bachelor’s degree – Get a bachelor’s degree in any of the subjects such as computer science, software engineering, or programming. Having a degree is not mandatory even a verifiable work experience in PHP scripting language is accepted by several employers.
You can get experience by doing freelance or independent projects or get yourself an internship role as a PHP developer to understand basics and get hands-on experience.
2. PHP Language course – Learning PHP language is a prerequisite for those looking for PHP freelancing jobs. There are online as well as offline courses available by colleges, adult education programs, or online learning institutes.
Take up basic PHP courses if you are entering as an entry-level PHP developer. You can also go for advanced courses to move ahead in your career.
3. Working PHP knowledge – Working PHP knowledge helps you get confident in identifying and resolving issues. Start with basic coding and work your way through the programming language to be able to create your web applications. As you get more familiar with the language, try widening the scope of programming.
4. PHP Certification – PHP certifications are helpful to showcase your expertise in PHP to prospective future employers. It establishes your knowledge of the PHP language and helps in advancing your career. Take an offline or online certification that is recognized in the job market.
Skills needed for remote PHP jobs
It is important to possess technical skills as well as non-technical skills to advance in the role of a freelance PHP developer. We have listed down a few technical skills to have while looking for PHP freelancer job,
- PHP scripting language even if you are getting started at an entry-level role, a basic understanding of the language is expected.
- Knowledge of CakePHP – an open-source web framework
- Understanding PHPUnit – a unit testing framework
- Familiar with APIs, Unix/Linux, and MVC Framework Architecture
- Knowledge of Ajax, jQuery, MySQL.
Soft skills hold as much importance as technical skills to get freelance PHP projects. These attributes would help you perform better and increase growth prospects,
1. Good communication skills
As a remote PHP developer or a freelance PHP professional, you will be required to communicate with your clients and colleagues regularly. It is important to communicate effectively to avoid miscommunication. To improve, you can either take a class on business communication or seek help from an experienced professional.
2. Problem-solving attitude
PHP programming jobs require you to debug faults and errors in the application in case of any issue. A problem-solving attitude would help in finding faults and ensuring quick solutions to any problem.
3. Strong work ethics
Strong work ethics are mandatory while trying to get a remote PHP job in the market. It helps in getting good reviews and positive feedback from the employer which can further get you more projects. Discipline and time management are essential to be able to work remotely in an efficient manner.
PHP freelancers network with other professionals in the same area of work to seek help and get new projects. Use social media forums and your friends and family circle to network with people. They can help you refer and get more job assignments.
Roles and responsibilities of remote PHP jobs
A PHP developer performs an important role in the website development and maintenance of an organization. There are several roles and responsibilities of remote PHP jobs professionals that one should keep in mind,
- Create new web applications in a timely and efficient manner utilizing standard development tools.
- Test and deploy new web applications and maintain documentation for the same.
- Identify compatibility issues involving CSS, HTML, scripting between different platforms and browsers, and resolve them.
- Test web applications on different browsers and fix issues identified by customer feedback.
- Keep yourself updated with the new technologies in the market by reading, attending workshops, and conferences.
- Adapt the latest programming practices and web technologies.
- Keep the website updated at all times by recommending improvements in existing software. Go for the most effective design tools, programming languages, and web applications.
- Maintain clear and complete documentation related to the website specifications such as budget, product features, structure, deadlines, the programming language used, communication protocols followed, etc.
- Work alongside other developers, development teams, and management to identify problems, offer solutions, develop criteria, establish priorities, or select the best solution amidst the offered ones.
- Interpret and evaluate business needs mentioned by the client and determine risks along with the appropriate solution.
Certifications to get remote PHP jobs
Here are the top 5 certifications to get remote PHP jobs,
- Zend Certified PHP Engineer – Zend certification is for experienced PHP professionals who are looking to advance in their careers. It is recognized worldwide and considered by employers for selecting PHP developers. Zend conducts classes to help you prepare for these certification exams. If you are already familiar with the course then self-preparation can also be done.
- W3Schools PHP Certification – A good certification to consider for an entry-level PHP developer who doesn’t possess any experience in this field. It will help you move up positions or change teams in your current company. W3schools provides lots of tutorials and quizzes to help you get ready for the exam.
- Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced Certification Courses from Udemy – Udemy offers PHP courses for all three levels based on your years of experience. Udemy certifications are highly valued in the industry and a good measure of your PHP understanding.
- PHP Certification courses for Intermediate Learners – Coursera provides certifications made by esteemed professors from reputed universities. This course is a part of a 4- course web development series offered by the University of Michigan. It provides you with introductory knowledge of HTML, CSS, HTTP, etc.
- PHP Developer Certification – This LinkedIn certification taught PHP from scratch with the help of videos and learning tutorials. It gives you an introduction to PHP and MySQL. Completion certificates will be showcased in your LinkedIn profile which can be seen by recruiters.
Also Read: Video editor resume | Know before you start
Top 10 tools needed for remote PHP jobs
- NetBeans – The lightweight and faster version of NetBeans supports PHP and hence used by developers for PHP development activities. It also extends support to other programming languages like C++, C, etc.
- Aptana Studio – Aptana Studio is a powerful web development tool. It helps PHP programmers to develop and test web applications in one single environment.
- Zend Studio – Zend Studio is a PHP IDE for better and smart development. Writing and debugging code in Zend Studio is effortless and doesn’t take the additional time of developers.
- PHPStorm – PHPStorm is a PHP development tool that is extremely lightweight, fast, and smooth. It also allows working with CMS, WordPress, Joomla, and Magento.
- Sublime Text – Sublime Text is a code editor used for writing codes and markups. It is a cross-platform code editor.
- Cloud 9 – Cloud 9 is an open-source cloud IDE development environment for hundreds of programming languages. It is good for PHP freelance job holders as it allows you to take your PHP projects from anywhere.
- CodeLobster – CodeLobster is one of the most loved development tools by PHP developers. It streamlines and simplifies the development process.
- PHPDebugbar – It is a PHP debugger that can run with any project and display desired data from a range of web applications. It also helps in catching Java and HTML bugs along with PHP.
- Eclipse – Eclipse is widely used by PHP developers as it eases the PHP code development process. PHP IDE can support both GUI and non-GUI applications.
- Visual Studio – A visual Studio is a high-end tool for writing PHP coding programs. It is a cross-platform supported software and can be used on any platform.
Also Read: Sales executive resume | A complete guide
Top 25 dream companies for remote PHP jobs
Take a look at the top 25 companies for remote PHP jobs and PHP contract jobs below,
- Upstack helps startups hire employees from a global talent pool
- Interaction Design Foundation is an educational organization that aims at making education accessible to everyone.
- OperateBeyond is the first end to end operational platform for marine, Powersports, etc.
- IGBlade is a social media analytics tool that helps in tracking Instagram. Youtube, Twitter, etc.
- BuddyBoss is an open-source platform that offers PHP jobs from home to skilled programmers.
- SimpleWeb is a software company providing specialization in human interaction and product development.
- Toptal is a global remote company listing down jobs PHP professionals can do from home.
- Kickfurther is a crowdfunding platform offering PHP contract jobs to talented professionals.
- Rebilly is a payment gateway that lets you receive payments from any mode.
- Upsert tailors CRM and other critical applications as per client’s needs.
- Sparity has expertise in digital transformation and complex technology services.
- Frontify is a SaaS-based branding platform.
- Skyverge is a software company that offers PHP contract job openings.
- Cohabs prepare sustainable and community-based homes for young workers and interns.
- Trova is a startup that creates a smart wardrobe to keep your valuables secure at home.
- Bankers Healthcare Group provides loans and financing to healthcare professionals.
- TCG is a leading IT consulting and solutions company.
- Terradatum provides innovative real estate technology.
- Mindfire Technology is an IT, consulting, and business process company.
- Coso IT provides products in Big data, Analytics, and AI.
- Digital Pulp is a full-service digital agency hiring PHP jobs remote programmers.
- Tesla is a clean energy-based company that manufactures vehicles.
- Perficient is a consulting firm serving customers across North America.
- GetUWired is a full-service internet marketing agency.
- ComplianceBridge creates the world’s most powerful compliance software.
Top job boards to find remote PHP jobs
Are you looking for PHP developer jobs near me, then we have come to your rescue. We have curated a list of top job boards to find remote PHP jobs,
- Drupal is a job board dedicated to Drupal PHP Framework
- unremot.com is the most technologically advanced portal to look for freelance PHP jobs
- LaraJobs is also a framework focused job board called Laravel
- WPHired is posting WordPress specific PHP remote jobs
- Jobs.wordpress.net posts jobs focused on all aspects of WordPress
- Stack Overflow posts plenty of PHP freelance jobs
- AngelList is a job portal listing startup opportunities
- WeWorkRemotely is the topmost remote focused job board
- RemoteLeads is focused on serving PHP remote job seekers
- Toptal is a global remote company for freelancers
Top resume elements of remote PHP jobs
To write a resume that stands out amongst others is an art. Here are top resume elements of remote PHP jobs to be considered while preparing yours,
- Relevant Experience – Mention job experience relevant to the position you are applying for. In this case mention PHP related experience that you have gained in your career.
- Quantifiable achievements – Mention numbers and statistics when it comes to writing your achievements. They attract immediate attention from the employer and create a positive impression.
- Key Qualities – Stand out by listing unique qualities that make you different from other applicants. List down what extra would you bring to the table if hired.
- Significant skills – Mention your skillset by keeping in mind the requirements given in the job description of the remote PHP positions.
- Certification and Degree – Mention educational qualification along with any certification or training is done in PHP development.
Remote PHP jobs pay structures
PHP jobs are highly sought after jobs in current times with high paying opportunities. The average PHP developer salary in the USA is around $87,750 annually. An entry-level professional who is fresh out of college with no experience or someone looking to shift careers will get compensation of at least $63,375 per year.
Once you have spent some time working as a PHP developer and feel proficient in skills required for the job as a work from home Sr. PHP developer, apply for high-level management or technical roles. An experienced professional can earn as much as $130,000 per year.
Entry level remote PHP jobs
Entry level remote jobs are for recent graduates or people looking for a career shift. An entry-level role needs you to have a bachelor’s degree in computer science, software programming, or engineering.
If you do not have a degree, a relevant work experience in PHP can also be considered by employers. Enroll yourself in an online certification course on Coursera, LinkedIn, or Udemy to get acquainted with PHP before applying for a PHP freelance job.
PHP developers can earn an average of $63,375 annually at an entry-level position. Few job titles that are open to professionals with no PHP work experience are Web developer, Software developer, JAVA developer, Programmer, Interactive Developer, Engineer, etc.