Display, don’t tell. It is pretty easy advice, and the top screen recording software makes it easier to pursue it. Screen recording software documents what happens on your computer, including your cursor motion, so you can provide guidance, explain issues or share information. Writing out explanations of these things takes much longer than merely showing your screen to someone. But typically, you are not standing next to the person or people who need to see your computer. Top screen recording software solves the problem.
- What is screen recording software?
- Characteristics of best screen recording software
- Best screen recording software – list
- OBS Studio
- Flashback Pro
- Apowersoft Unlimited
- Movavi Screen Recorder Studio
What is screen recording software?
Top screen recording software will record the entire (or parts) of your computer or mobile screen. To help users know what to do and how to do it, the recording will include everything from your taps and cursor movements to typing a URL into your browser. Audio narration is possible, and annotation is also often provided as part of a package of resources. No two screen recording devices, however, are identical. Some online screen recording software cannot save the captured footage for different formats, or export it directly to common video platforms such as YouTube. Some may have the potential to do all of that, but a function or two might be lacking. For example, not every software that records screens comes with an HD screen recorder.
Simply put, before downloading or installing a screen recording software on your computer, you must pay close attention to its features. Evaluating your own recording needs, too, is important. You might not need to capture them in HD. You may have recently purchased video hosting so that you can do without an export option to YouTube. For you the best screen recording software is the one that meets your unique needs.
Tip: Have an outline or script before you begin screen recording to avoid rambling on without confidence.
Characteristics of top screen recording software
A screen video recorder simplifies daily activities such as sending or reacting to ticket assistance, releasing product updates, incorporating new staff or developing videos for a program.
There are screen video recorder choices ranging from streamlined three-button windows to robust software overflowing with resources, priced up to several thousand rupees or completely free. Each of our choices offers a unique function, but all meet some fundamental criteria:
- The ability to monitor your entire screen, one window or a specific area
- The choice of superimposing a webcam over the screen recording
- Simultaneous audio recording by microphone and system
- Video sharing and/or easy export resources that are built in
- A user-friendly interface
Obviously, the cycle does not end with the recording of the screen. The quality of the final product can drastically affect user interaction.
The choices made in this article are the best online screen recording software with great post-capture editing features.
List of top screen recording software
Given below is a list of the top screen recording software in 2020.
- Operating Systems: Mac, Windows
- Price: INR 18, 675 for a lifetime business license servicing up to two devices
The interface of Camtasia makes it one of the best screen recording software. It is very easy to use. You can select your area of capture, whether to include webcam and microphone inputs and then press Record. There is an exhaustive list of editing choices which do not fail to sound daunting.
Features of Camtasia
- On the left side of the device are click-and-drag effects and a good range of stock media.
- There are extensive properties and customizations appearing on the right side whenever you pick an item from the timeline.
- To those struggling with its editing tools, Camtasia offers excellent instructional videos. However, it only takes a few seconds to build shockingly competent Intro and Outro segments.
- Interestingly, this top screen recording software has a closed captions feature that will loop audio when adding the text. A four-second sequence plays before you are done typing, and then you can click Tab, and the next loop runs.
Did you know? Camtasia allows you to smoothen your cursor motions with its Cursor Smoothing Effect!
- Operating Systems: Windows, Mac
- Price: Free
Unremot is a new software for those looking to share video and screen content. More than 20 users on Unremot can simultaneously share and view screens during a community or team session. This functionality is very useful to those who work remotely to collaborate. One of Unremot’s greatest benefits is that it is entirely online and does not need you to install any program or add an extension! Moreover, it is a completely free screen recording software!
Features of Unremot
- Video and screen sharing are effective.
- Other functions include one-to-one chat and group chat, calendar integration, and different task management tools.
Did you know? Being ranked on Product Hunt as the #4 Product of the Day, Unremot is rapidly growing in popularity as a remote video-based resource.
- Operating Systems: Windows, Mac (for Chrome extensions)
- Price: Free of cost of recordings of up to 5 minutes; INR 3,674 per year for unlimited recordings of any length and extra features
If you have to share loads of short screen recordings but do not want a bunch of editing bells and whistles, Screencastify cannot go wrong. It is one of the best free screen recording software that lets you do this. When you offer customer service, for example, you are far less interested in polished videos with long production turnarounds than short and quick screen captures. Screencastify trades the editing tools for a simple screen recording and video sharing framework.
Features of Screencastify
- As this is an extension to Chrome, you can set it all up in one to two minutes. Download it, select what you want to capture (Screencastify can also capture video beyond your browser window), allow or disable webcam and microphone, and then click Record.
- During every recording, Screencastify places a toolbox in your browser’s bottom-left corner that includes cursor settings (touching the focus bubble, inserting click animations, and auto-hiding the cursor while it is inactive), and a paintbrush to annotate content inside a Chrome window.
- Screencastify launches the video in its web player when you stop recording and syncs the file to your Google Drive (or saves it locally on your device if you have modified the settings).
- You can upload or download the video to YouTube or Google Classroom if you wish.
- There are also several basic tools for editing, like trim, split, and merge.
4. OBS Studio
- Operating Systems: Windows, Linux, Mac
- Price: Free
Where OBS Studio lacks in editing functionality, the downloading and recording options cover-up. For example, this free screen recording software allows you to create customized “studios,” preset audio and video settings that you can loop through during a recording process.
Features OBS Studio
- Sizing and placing elements inside each studio is a basic click-and-drag affair and a hotkey is used to monitor the cycling through them during a recording session.
- Audio and video presets, with adequate planning, remove the need to mess with any settings when streaming live video through robust integrations from OBS.
- The live streaming menu has 44 channels, ranging from big-name sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and Twitch to obscure streaming platforms such as watchpeoplecode.com and Sermon Audio.
- Entering the Settings menu and inserting your stream key into the text box is all it takes to bring the Start Streaming button on the main dashboard with one-click.
- Adjustments that you make to a studio, like mixing sound or positioning webcams, are broadcast live, so make sure you are ready.
5. Flashback Pro
- Operating Systems: Windows
- Price: INR 3,674 for a lifetime license that services one computer; INR 5,549 for two computers
The screen recording interface for FlashBack Pro looks a little old, and the editor is just a few measures above average, but it comes with excellent sound editing tools. Capturing the voice during a screen recording produces a number of tiny issues. The proximity of keystrokes to your microphone makes them sound like a jackhammer, unexpected sounds from across the room are difficult to avoid, and machine audio is mostly at a frequency that is entirely different from your microphone. Most editors help you reduce these issues, but none are as detailed or as easy as Flashback Pro is to navigate.
Features Flashback Pro
- Turning down the sound on an audio track system is as easy as pointing it out on the list, right-clicking it, and selecting Change Volume of Selection.
- Through adding a filter, you can also suppress background sounds, or normalize microphone and PC audio so that their volumes match.
- The app also features a few new video editing features, like automatically highlighting screen inactivity parts for removal and re-recording the mouse cursor without altering anything in the video.
6. Apowersoft Unlimited
- Operating Systems: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android
- Price: INR 4,495 per Personal Plans; INR 7,495 for Business Plans
All up-to-date Android smartphones or iPhones have an integrated screen recorder and a few simple tools for editing videos. Yet, Apowersoft ‘s Unlimited kit has plenty to do for those who need more features. This includes subscriptions to all 17 Apowersoft applications that can be launched from a single dashboard (eight of which manage some form of video capture or editing). There is one Android screen recording feature, and another for iPhones, both of which contain settings not seen in any other device.
Features of Apowersoft Unlimited
- Some features include resolution control, bit-rate throttling, frame rate range, and camera setups.
- If you have the Unlimited Suite from Apowersoft, you can attach a mobile device wirelessly to your computer screen and use the desktop recorder to capture the camera, microphone, PC audio, and mobile device of your computer at the same time. This is perfect if you want to teach someone how to use an app that has a desktop and a smartphone edition. If similar features are present with different interfaces, displaying them side by side would clear up any ambiguity.
- The video editor of the suite is straightforward. It will allow you to trim segments, add text overlays, and modify contrast, brightness, and saturation.
- Operating Systems: Mac
- Price: Free for all local screenshots and recordings; INR, 1,499 per month subscription lets you upload all recording to Cloud automatically
Often, you just have to make a recording quickly and send it to someone without a lot of editing or messing around. To this end, Zappy is the best screen recording software Mac.
Tip: Make sure your microphone is mounted in a way that it can reliably pick up your voice so your audience can clearly understand you.
Features of Zappy
- This app is activated using a shortcut button, or by using the icon in the menu bar.
- Select which part of the screen you wish to record, hit the video camera button, and then click Stop when you are done.
- You can use your microphone to record a voiceover if you wish.
- When you are a paying user of Zappy, the recording is uploaded to the cloud and a link is copied to your clipboard. If not, the video file can be picked locally and shared however you want.
- You may add arrows, boxes, simple text, and obfuscation when recording (or for screenshot). It is only a fast way of sharing something.
- Operating Systems: Mac
- Price: INR 9,672 for a lifetime license
ScreenFlow from Telestream brings the wow element to your screen recordings but it has a steeper learning curve than other choices in this list. It is a top screen recording software Mac. While the editor at first looks streamlined, there are an overwhelming amount of features to be sifted through. Connection to the stock media library is INR 4,499 a year and is worth it if the videos are viewed by consumers or wide audiences.
Features of ScreenFlow
- Telestream’s stock media library is the most useful of its resources. It contains over 5,00,000 images, audio clips, and videos (a few in 4k) to bring a polished shine to your screen recording.
- Launch the Features pane for the in-app library, scan by keyword, then press and move the media to your timeline.
- Many excellent features include the ability to record the retina resolution of your screen (that is, very high resolution) and even some impressive templating options to minimize development time.
- The tools for Styles and Templates enable you to group settings and video components, so that they can be added with a few clicks.
- You could save audio or visual settings for individual elements such as color filters, or drop shadows for a video clip with Styles.
- Templates allow you to attach, organize, and customize groups of items, like branded intro and outro pieces, text placeholders, and background music well in advance.
9. Movavi Screen Recorder Studio
- Operating Systems: Windows, Mac
- Price: Free version comes with a watermark on every recording; INR 4,495 for a lifetime license that services one computer
Movavi Screen Recorder Studio is the best screen recording software Windows and Mac for mid-level screen recording. It is complete with an integrated editor to get the job done. It is easy and unambiguous, further enhanced by the above-average resolution settings of Movavi. When you need to document a webinar that is inconveniently-scheduled to share with others, you will want to look perfect. Movavi helps you achieve this.
Features of Movavi Screen Recorder
- There is one particularly good feature it has: scheduled captures.
- This tool lets you capture live streams or webinars when you are away from your desk. In the Preferences tab, you will find this function, under Scheduler.
- You may set a time limit for the next recording, or you can assign a time to start and end a recording.
- You can also set it up in a way that your computer shuts down, or goes to sleep once the capture is done.
Tip: Avoid making circular motions on your screen during the screen recording.
- Operating Systems: Windows
- Price: INR 2,924 for a lifetime license that services one computer
Bandicam is the best screen recording software Windows for those in the creative field. With eSports’ rising success, game casting capabilities are included in most of today’s screen capture software programmes. For productivity-minded staff, that is not useful, but high-resolution video capture, such as that accessible with Bandicam, works great for those in creative industries. While you would expect from an app that focuses so much on video quality to have a complex interface, this software has a sparse setup window. It is a very simple software, and a built-in editor is the only thing that it lacks.
Features of Bandicam
- If you are bringing together a web design tutorial or a webinar on Photoshop, 144 frames per second in 4k resolution will ensure that your content stands out among the rest.
- Bandicam needs top-notch equipment for high-quality recording processing, but most people in the creative field do not face any problems.
- Operating Systems: Windows, Mac, iOS, Chrome
- Price: Free version allows recording of 90-second videos; INR 675 is the starting price for the Pro version that offers unlimited recordings with extra editing features
As the name indicates, CloudApp can automatically upload all recordings you make to the cloud. This makes it a handy resource to record and share information fast.
Features of CloudApp
- Use the tray or menu bar button, or use a custom keyboard shortcut to begin recording.
- Monitor the entire screen, or pick the part of the screen you want to document.
- There are some simple features of image editing, like trims and cuts, but overall, the emphasis is on quickly getting the recording to the cloud.
- For easy reference, you can create automated workflows that perform tasks like submitting recordings to Trello, Google Sheets, or Slack.
The top screen recording software is the one which saves you the most time and gives your audience the most valuable content. When choosing the software, make sure that you know your target market well.