Are you stuck on how to prepare an employee handbook? Here is a comprehensive list of employee handbook template and formats for you to start. Read on!
Employee Handbook Template
An employee handbook template is a guide to create an employee handbook. It must contain the elements that need to be pen down in a handbook. In this article we will discuss in detail the definition of employee manual template, different types of company handbooks template, why do we need to create a sample company policies and procedures manual, employee policy examples, sample human resources policy, and example of employee handbook.
Also Read: Democracy at Work | A comprehensive guide
What is an employee handbook template?
An employee handbook template contains samples for creating the company’s description, sample policy manual, human resources policy template, and so on. It is essential to draft the company rules and regulations for all employees in an employee handbook or human resource manual template. An employee handbook helps to keep the company in order.
Why do you need employee handbook examples?
Employee handbook examples are the best ways to create a well-documented employee handbook. In this section, we will discuss the needs of maintaining an employee handbook template and how effective they are in drafting an efficient handbook.
Create a free sample employee handbook template
The employee handbook examples are necessary to create a free sample employee handbook template. It will assist in preparing the cover design, introductory page, and detailed design sample. You can create a professional handbook using the free employee handbook templates. You can refer to sample human resource policy in the employee documentation examples.
Leverage company handbook template to prepare a simple handbook
A company handbook template will be a ready reckoner in preparing a simple employee handbook. The employees must be able to refer, read, understand and follow the policies and procedures in the handbooks. With employee manual examples and policy manual examples at hand, it is super easy to create a handbook.
Employees manual template for documenting the policies
Employees manual template must be referred for documenting the employee policies and sample HR policies well. You do not need to start writing from scratch but refer to the guidelines mentioned in the employee handbook template and employee policies examples. The policy section will contain the steps to draft the company policies related to each department.
Document the employee benefits using a free employee handbook template
Documenting the employee benefits is equally important and hence it is recommended to refer to a free employee handbook template or personnel policies examples for the same. The sample handbooks document will help in recording benefits related to holidays, leaves, vacations, medical and health insurance, retirement, and pension plans.
Company policy template for drafting rules
The company and each department of a company have their own set of defined rules and regulations that need to be followed by the employees. It is important to define the rules in the handbook and the best way is to refer to the company policy template or the employee handbook samples.
When should you make use of a sample employee handbook?
When you are worrying about how to create an employee handbook for your company, you need to refer to a sample employee handbook and a sample HR policy. It will help you to draft the following seamlessly and without any hassles,
- Company objectives, and purpose
- Business code of conduct
- Hiring and Recruitment policies
- Separation policies
- Transfer policies
- Compensation policies
- Medical and life insurance benefits
- Non-discrimination policies
- Pension and superannuation policies
- Promotion policies
- Communication guidelines
- Escalation process
- Dress Code Policies
- Employee ethics and grievance Policies
- Gifts and Donations Policies
- Procedures for using personal gadgets
Also Read: New Hire Orientation | A complete guide
Top 8 employee handbook examples
Now that we have understood why do we need an employee handbook template, let us now focus on the top 8 employee handbook examples that can be referred for easy guidance. These handbook examples on the various sections or elements that need to be included in the handbook are convenient and easy to consult.
Example employee handbook for company culture, values & mission
For guidance on how to draft company culture, values, and mission, the example employee handbook must contain the following,
- Company description containing the introduction, products/services of the company, headquarters, and branches of office, number of employees, and the key leadership names and designations
- Company purpose, mission, vision and the objectives to be achieved in future
- The quarterly and yearly revenue of the company for the awareness of the employees
- Key contacts with phone numbers and names of each department within the company must be part of employee handbook examples or templates
Handbook template for employee basics
Employee basics are an important section in the handbook template. This section of an employee handbook template contains the basic definitions required to be referred by employees,
- Contract types and modes of employment for example full-time, part-time, contract bases, internship, apprentices, and other modes.
- A statement or declaration by the company on non-discrimination and equal opportunity of employment is a mandatory inclusion needed in employee handbook templates
- Recruitment, selection, and hiring process and steps that are followed in the company. You can also mention the terms and policies of the employee referral programs here.
- Attendance rules and regulations
Employment handbook examples for workplace policies
Workplace policies form a critical part of employee handbook examples and employee manual template free. The key components of this section of the policy manual template are,
- Data Protection, Security and Confidential Laws and rights must be mentioned mandatorily in employee handbook examples or templates. Besides the employees handbook example must specify how the employees are expected to adhere to them
- Safety and health standards and norms for workplace security must be included in the handbook templates. Mention the related laws and the steps taken by the company for a safe work environment in the free handbook template
- Prevention of harassment, violence, and indiscrimination policies adopted by the company must be mentioned in this section of the office policy manual sample
Code of conduct free employee handbook templates
Code of conduct is a vital part of free employee handbook templates. It determines and guides employee behavior in the company. The key parts of this subsection of a handbook sample or employment policy example are,
- Conflict of interest faced by employees and the consequences of violating the rules is essential to include in employee templates
- Company Dress code is a vital inclusion in a sample of employee handbook
- Usage of digital devices, the internet, and cybersecurity form an essential part of the employee handbook free template
- Visitors at workplace and employee relationship guidelines are crucial to mention in the free sample employee handbook
Free sample employee handbook template for benefits and perks
Employee benefits and perks are an essential part of a free sample employee handbook template. This template is one of the important employee handbook examples and its key components are,
- Compensation policies based on company rules and government laws form a crucial part of a sample employee manual
- Employee wellness and health programs are also important inclusion in employee rules template
- The third important factor to be included in the employee rules and regulations template is employee expense claims and reimbursement policies
- Work from home and remote working guidelines form a part of the job manual template
- Guidelines for usage of company provided software, hardware and gadgets must be included in the template for employee handbook
- Company car usage and parking facilities too must be specified in the company manual template
Employee handbook sample for compensation and development
Compensation and reward policies and programs for competency development of employees occupy a prominent part in the employee handbook sample. The key inclusions in a staff template are,
- Performance Review and Appraisal process for employees are some of the hr policy examples that must be included in the human resources handbook template
- For US companies, it is crucial to mention the compensation policies and payroll laws for exempt and non-exempt employees in the human resource handbook template
- A faculty handbook template must contain an employee training manual sample and strategy for conducting learning, training, and development programs for employees
Free employment handbook template for work hours, leaves, holidays
Norms and guidelines for work hours, leaves, and holidays are compulsory inclusions in a free employee handbook template. The key elements of this particular sub-section in a template employee handbook are,
- Working Hours, overtime, and paid days off are a major part of the employee policy and procedures template
- Secondly, a list of company holidays must be mentioned in samples of employees handbooks
- The next salient part is the types of leaves, when can they be availed and the count – a foremost inclusion in a staff handbook template
- Maternity and paternity leaves and the laws guiding them need to be stated in a sample of employees handbook
Best employee handbook template for resignation and termination
If you want to create a best employee handbook template for recording resignation and termination policies, then you must include the following in your employment policies and procedures template,
- Notice periods for resignation and the formalities that need to be adhered to must be drafted and spelled out clearly in the employee policy template
- Processes and procedures for termination and the obligatory conditions that need to be fulfilled are vital to state in the sample policies and procedures manual
- Conditions for providing and refusing references for an employee resigning or being terminated from the organization must be explained in details in the office manual template
Other sample policies and procedures manuals
The above company handbook examples are the prominent ones for reference. There are other sample policies and procedures manuals, some of which are specific for US companies. In this section, we will focus on the additional examples of employee handbook template and their key constituents.
California employee handbook template
A California employee handbook template is similar to a normal employee handbook template and employee handbook examples free with a few exceptions. Here are some of the key factors that need to be considered while creating employee handbook California template,
- Prevention Policies for written discrimination, harassment, and retaliation must be mandatorily stated in the employee handbook template California
- Since the workforce are mainly Spanish speaking, policies in the employee handbook California sample must be mentioned in an understandable language
- A unique part of the employment manual sample for California is that employees can alter the policies mentioned in the handbook by following certain guidelines. Hence the guidelines need to be strictly mentioned in the employee documentation template
Free employee handbook template for small business
While preparing a free employee handbook template for small business, you must cater to the following key aspects,
- Define and specify your business policies in detail in a sample employee handbook for small businesses
- Establish and specify clear work expectations from your employees in the employee handbook sample for small business
- Mention the employee benefits in details in the employee handbook template for small business
- State the onboarding processes and procedures of new employees in small business employee handbook template
- Elaborately explain the HR policies and guidelines in the sample employee handbook for small business related to sexual harassment, discrimination, violence, etc.
Creative employee handbook examples
Some interesting and creative employee handbook examples and employee handbook sample free for your reference. These sample policies and procedures manuals and examples will help in drafting the employee handbook template free – very creative and attractive for the employees.
The key aspects you can focus on for spelling down good and innovative policies and procedures manual template are,
- Use visuals and colours related to the subject with a professional touch
- Use a conversational tone in the company handbook sample
- Use whimsical fonts in employee manual sample
- Provide practical examples while curating sample human resources policies
Get an employee handbook pdf
An employee handbook pdf is another best option for preparing policy and procedures manual samples. The format can remain the same as any normal employment manual example. The advantage of creating an employee rules and regulations sample document is to keep the content protected.
You can record the company policies, rules, regulations, guidelines, benefits, and safety norms in the employees rules and regulations sample pdf. Besides policies and procedures manual sample and employee handbooks examples in pdf form will help in maintaining confidentiality. You can keep the HR manual template or the employee handbook template password protected for security.