Are you hiring an illustrator and preparing for the interview? If so, here’s a collection of the top 50 questions that you must ask. Read on!
The illustrators use the designing software and hand designing techniques to create original artwork pieces. They work on multiple projects include books, magazines, brochures, and websites. In the interview process, the employer assesses the portfolio of the candidate. The candidate who can explain things easily with the artwork gets the job.
Illustrator Interview Questions
You should have a proper portfolio while applying for the illustration job. Beyond your designing skills, the interviewer will ask, how are you efficient in working in tight deadlines will be the key focus on the illustrator interview questions. You can collaborate with the team and achieve the targets.
Those who have the potential in making creative designs and work under deadline pressure will get the job. You are comfortable presenting your portfolio efficiently then surely, you will get positive feedback from the employer. Furthermore, you should keep an eye on the illustration job opening. Apply for the job roles in which your skills match.
Also Read: Video Game Editing Jobs – a beginner’s guide
Best illustrator interview questions
We have listed the frequently asked questions for the illustrator job. You can go through these questions while preparing for the job interview.
1. What are adobe illustrator & its uses?
Sample Answer: Adobe Illustrator is an advanced vector-based software used for preparing vector graphics. Versatile software provides prime quality of outputs. It is simple to use for making creative and writing objects.
Adobe illustrators’ uses are listed below,
- Using this tool, you can share your ideas freely.
- It is easy to create unique logos.
- You can design images in graphics with the help of adobe illustrator.
- You can draw objects, cartoons, and images easily.
2. What is an artboard in illustrator?
Sample Answer: You are creating a document in Illustrator. By default, you start with the artboard while designing the document. Moreover, the artboards define that area to print. It is available in different sizes and orientations.
3. How can you create an artboard in illustrator?
Sample Answer: Artboards are useful in streamline the designing process. It represents the regions that available for print.
You can follow these steps to create the artboard,
- You can select the artboard tool to create a custom artboard.
- Then, drag the document to define the shape and size of the document.
- To use the present artboard available just double-click on the artboard tool.
- Then, select and specify the options listed in the artboard options dialog box.
- Drag the artboard to the position where you want to keep it.
- To duplicate the existing artboard, you can click on the artboard.
- You want to create multiple duplicates then press the alt key and click.
- To create an artboard with the existing contents go to the control panel.
4. What are layers in an illustrator?
Sample Answer: The layers give the simplest way to manage things. You can do it while designing. The layer panel provides simple ways to make changes in the design.
5. How can you use the graph tool in illustrator?
Sample Answer: You can determine the graph type using the graph tools available in illustrator.
- The first step is to make the document.
- Then, you have to go to the graph tool in the illustrator software.
- Click on the left side and then drag it.
- A table will appear on the screen and then you can put the data in that table.
- You want to change the graph size then just right-click on the graph appearing on your screen.
Illustrator Interview Questions for Freshers
You are attending an interview for a graphic illustrator job. There are specific questions the interviewer will ask if you are fresher applied for the job role.
1. Why do you want to become an illustrator?
Sample Answer: You will share the moment when you decided to become an illustrator. In this question, you will speak as to how it came to your mind to choose this career and when.
2. Why the company should hire you?
Sample Answer: The interviewer wants to know as an illustrator. You are fit for that job and company. It goes beyond your creative and technical skills. In your answer, you should include your abilities as an illustrator and character traits that make you unique from other candidates who applied for the job.
3. What makes you a good illustrator?
Sample Answer: This is a question without any right answer. You should use your creative mindset while answering this question. The hiring manager wants to know what skills or traits that you have are important for an illustrator position. You should include these qualities communication skills, organization, ability to work under pressure, and attention towards every detail of work.
4. What kind of illustration projects are you most interested in while working?
Sample Answer: By asking this question, the interviewer is giving you a window to share the things that you are passionate about in this job role. You have to include all things that inspire you. Do not forget to keep the answer short. You should feel like sharing your passion and love for different kinds of illustration projects.
5. What are your strength and weakness?
Sample Answer: You have to tailor the answer that will work for you. In a particular area, if you are lacking some illustration, skills then do tell your employer. An honest assessment of your skills will help you to secure the job in the company.
6. How will you manage work under pressure?
Sample Answer: The question asked in every interview. You should come with an answer that is specific to your illustration job. Your answer should start like “I will try to put extra hours completing the projects”. It will show your dedication and passion for the job.
7. Where will you see yourself in the next five years’ time?
Sample Answer: A good answer to this question is that you will serve as Head of Graph Design or Chief Illustrator in their company. You should mention your ambition to gain professional skills and focus on giving better quality work.
Situational illustrator interview questions
The hiring manager is testing you, as to how you react in situations that will happen in the company. You will get some situations in the interview. Then, the interview panel will ask your opinion on the situation. Some of the situational illustrator interview questions are below,
1. You are working on a project and you know that you will be unable to submit it on time. How will you ask for your deadline extension or OK to submit the project on time?
Sample Answer: You know that you would not be able to complete the project on time. Then, you should immediately inform your supervisor and ask for the deadline extension. You should maintain a positive relationship with your seniors.
2. How would deal with the opinion clash between the team members on the illustration project?
Sample Answer: Screaming and fights are common in a team. Short timelines add pressure in the project management world. Managing conflict is the biggest challenge that every project manager has to face in the industry. Your focus should be on solving the problem.
3. What will you do if the client is rejecting all the drafts that your team presented them?
Sample Answer: It is a tough situation for every employee. You should try to understand what your client wants if your drafts have rejected multiple. In this case, you can sit with your client and discuss things with them.
4. How do you solve the issue the printed colors were different you printed on a project?
Sample Answer: Many designers have faced this common issue of design color mismatch. In this particular situation, you can use the presence of mind and check what the issue is. There can be a printer issue therefore, the colors printed and designed are different. You can do some settings change in the printer and then see the issue solved.
Also Read: Remote Research Jobs – a beginner’s guide
Role specific illustrator interview questions
It is vital to do complete preparation while going for an interview. You should ready to face the questions that the interviewer will ask during the interview process. Below are a bunch of role specific illustrator interview questions.
1. Which designing software do you use for making the images?
Sample Answer: The hiring manager began the interview by asking role-specific questions. Then, the first question is what tools you use. You can mention the designing software that you use as an illustrator.
2. What is your approach while preparing a project for production?
Sample Answer: Every illustrator uses a different working style while preparing for a project. It is a common thing. Answering this question, you can mention your approach. Try to prove by using relevant examples about your work approach.
3. How can you add perspective to an image designed?
Sample Answer: You want add to perspective to the images designed by you. Then, you can use these inbuilt tools in both Illustrator and Photoshop to make things done. You can follow these simple steps just to create a horizontal line, place the object in it, and then add details.
4. How do you get started working on your new project?
Sample Answer: Recently, you got a new project. What are your plans to work on the project? Initially, you will look into what is the project all about and understand it. Then, start working on it.
5. How much time you take to design an illustration?
Sample Answer: Through this question, the interviewer is trying to find how efficient you are in meeting the tight deadlines. You can handle pressure and do your work efficiently at the same time.
Behavioral illustrator interview questions
Appearing in the interview, you have to display your portfolio. At the same time, the interviewer tests your behavioral skills too. The interview asks these questions to test how you can handle yourself in different situations. Below are top 5 behavioral illustrator interview questions.
1. How can you handle pressure in your job?
Sample Answer: The hiring manager of the company wants to know how you can deal with a particular situation. He or she wants to judge your problem-solving skills in a particular situation. Difficult situations are common in business.
2. How did you handle if you made a mistake?
Sample Answer: We all make mistakes in our life. It is important how we work on your mistakes and try to correct them. The interviewer is looking as to how you will react to a mistake done by you.
3. How will you set your goals to explain with an example?
Sample Answer: With this question, the hiring manager is asking about your short-term and long-term plans while working in a company. You should answer this question by citing an example you joined a trainee under an illustrator. You made the best use of that time and immediately got a full-time job after completing your graduation immediately.
4. How will you manage to work with the team?
Sample Answer: It is not an easy task to manage the team and get the work done. Different people from the team come with different mindsets. Therefore, coordination and patience are the two important things to get the things done by the team members.
5. How efficient are you in handling a challenge?
Sample Answer: You can elaborate on how you have handled one of such occasions in the past. For example, you along with the team are working on a presentation. Suddenly, your manager goes out of the city. In the sponsorship project meeting, you came out and gave the presentation. The best part is that company got the project.
Adobe illustrator interview questions
You should follow these interview questions if you are going for an Adobe Illustrator job interview. Below is a collection of top 5 Adobe illustrator interview questions.
1. Explain about adobe illustrator.
Sample Answer: The graphic designers use the adobe illustrator tool to create vector images.
2. Mention the latest features of the adobe illustrator tool.
Sample Answer: Adobe Illustrator has launched an impressive feature in the year 2020.
- You can do real-time drawing and designing by using the adobe illustrator tool. Now, you can create the images easily and your work not restrained by the outline issues.
- The real-time editing feature has combined with the enhanced free transformation. It makes your work easier and enjoyable. The boundary box in adobe illustrator will always follow the changes while creating the images.
- We can now drag and drop the pictures from the different illustrator documents.
3. How can you make a table in adobe illustrator?
Sample Answer: Follow these simple steps to make a table in adobe illustrator,
- Open the illustrator in a new window.
- Then, select the paper size and click on the ok option.
- You have to create any shape of table you want from the tool pallet.
- Like you selected the rectangle shape and then go to the object option.
- You will find the choose spilled option in the grid.
- Now, mention the number of rows and columns you want in the Gutterbox.
- Your table is ready and now, you can add any background color of your own choice.
4. What the use is of the pucker and bloat tool?
Sample Answer: The bloat and Pucker tool is used to create the distortion effect. You can convert the object by curving its edges from the center. Furthermore, you can push them away from the center maintaining its center points in position.
5. Name the useful plugins used in adobe illustrator.
Some of the useful plugins in adobe illustrator are,
- VectorScribe: You get complete freedom while doing editing and customization without doing any excess work.
- CADtools 5: By using this plugin, you can create special grids and draw the isometric project in the 3D format.
- Phantasm CS2: This tool allows you to change the curves of the images. You can do all this editing work efficiently.
- SymmeteryWorks 4: You can work on the greeting cards, symbols, and vectors to display your artwork to the clients.
Final words on illustrator interview questions
Getting the right candidate is not just about getting all the answers to the above set of illustrator interview questions right. It’s more about the overall balance and aptitude of the candidate, along with the willingness to learn and take up the daily grind on new challenges.