Hiring a Google Analytics Consultant? Need to know how and where to find the best candidates? Here is a comprehensive guide to finding the best Google Analytics Consultants. Read on!
How to hire a Google Analytics Consultant?
A Google Analytics consultant plays a vital role when it comes to improving the marketing and SEO techniques of a website or online portal. Using the features, reports, and metrics of Google
Analytics, the study and analyze the data for deciphering the performance glitches for rectification. Now, how can you hire Google Analytics consultant, best suited for your company.
In this article, we will be discussing the ways and means of recruiting Google analytics experts, be it freelance, part-time, contract basis of full-time mode of employment. We will talk about the skills, qualities, educational qualifications to be verified and the interview questions for verifying the credibility and expertise of the candidates.
Hiring market for a Google Analytics Consultant
Online businesses and websites hire google analytics consultants to step up their traffic flow and proficiency in digital marketing. There are about 30 million websites in the world that leverage Google Analytics to check their SEO performance and search engine ranking. Hence a constant demand for a Google Analytics expert is expected year after year.
Though there are no predictions or analyses done on the growth % of google analytics job opportunities; yet it is expected to rise significantly due to the ever-increasing demand for organic traffic growth and SEO visibility. Besides, Google themselves hire google analytics consultant for development activities.
The salary of Google Analytics consultants is quite lucrative. An entry-level professional earns almost USD 59K per annum. Whereas a person with 5 to 9 years of experience may earn approximately USD 79K per annum. With experience and additional certifications, the annual salary may rise up to 130K.
Top 15 recent job titles for Google Analytics Consultants
You can hire google analytics consultants in various job titles depending on their academic qualifications, technical skillset, and years of experience. Here are the top 15 job titles where a google analytics expert can be recruited,
1. Google Analytics Specialist
Recruited for tracking performance metrics of a website and devise strategies for increasing the website content visibility and user experience. Increasing website traffic and page per click are also their duties. The average salary at entry-level is USD 26K per year, and for mid-level it is USD 53K to 89K per annum.
2. Senior Analyst – Digital Marketing Analytics
Expert is analyzing the insights, metrics, and statistics from Google Analytics, AdWords, etc., and find out the innovative and optimizing methods to improve the online marketing campaigns, presence, and visibility. The salary for 5 to 9 years experienced personnel is almost USD 65K per year.
3. Google Analytics Manager
Manages a team of Google Analytics experts for analyzing the performance of the website or online business portal for gaining traffic and earning revenue. The person is responsible in achieving the optimum performance of the website as per the set objectives. Salary varies between USD 115K and USD 130K per year.
4. Google Analytics Business Analyst
Proficient in Google Analytics functions and devises strategies for performance improvement through data collection and analysis. Must be knowledgeable on digital marketing techniques and methods. The average salary is essentially USD 118K per year.
5. Google Data Engineer
Responsible for design and development of data processing systems focusing on compliance, security, flexibility, scalability, etc. The annual salary is quite high if the person is certified, about USD 127K per year.
6. Google PPC Experts
Entrusted with the responsibility to help with Analytics, AdWords earns the highest pay per click via organic traffic. They need to influence the target audience in focusing on the campaigns which help in achieving more PPCs. The yearly salary for freshers is USD 31K, and mid-level is USD 45K.
7. Google Analytics and Optimization Strategist
Recruited for understanding the performance of the websites, identify the glitches and improvise strategies for increasing traffic, performance and earn optimization. The average salary is nearly USD 88K per annum.
8. Digital Marketing Specialist
Identifying the target audience and market through surveys and intelligence, creating a brand image for the company through promotions and campaigns are the key responsibilities of a digital marketing specialist. The annual salary varies between USD 51K to USD 66K.
9. Google Digital Marketing Expert
Expertise in digital marketing for ranking higher in google search engine algorithms thus experience a rise in organic traffic and revenue. Knowledge of keywords pay per click, CTR, Google analytics, Google AdWords is a must. Earn almost USD 56K per annum.
10. Google Advertising Expert
Expert in devising strategies for advertisement and campaigns that are innovative and results in revenue generation via google ads. The salary varies between USD 50 to 65K per annum.
11. SEO Specialist
Experienced and knowledgeable on the various SEO techniques, methods and best practices along with the google search engine algorithms. The salary varies between USD 50K to 65K per annum.
12. Marketing Managers
Oversees a team entrusted in traffic generation via performance improvement and SEO optimization. They are expected to increase the website ranking among the various search engines through their innovative strategies. Salary is usually USD 80K to 85K per annum.
13. Head, SEO Marketing
Similar to the role of a google analytics manager, focused on SEO marketing. Guides and monitors a team of SEO specialists driving traffic and revenue and improving website performance. Salary ranges from USD 75K to USD 80K per year.
14. Director for Marketing
A person in charge of the Marketing department of a business unit and reporting to the Chief Marketing Officer. He or she ensures the department meets its objectives within the specified deadline. Salary ranges from USD 90K to USD 95K per year.
15. Chief Marketing Officer
A person can rise to the rank of a Chief Marketing Officer after gaining experience as a google analytics expert or manager. The officer is in charge of the end-to-end marketing activities of an organization, driving strategies, creating visions and objectives, and striving to achieve the same. Salary is usually USD 110K to USD 120K per year
Qualifications to look for in Google Analytics Consultant
The basic educational qualifications that you must look for while you hire google analytics consulting experts are mentioned below for your quick reference and guide,
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Communications or English is preferable.
- Master’s Degree in Communications or English is an additional boon
- An internship is also a preferable choice
The best colleges and universities in the US offering courses and degrees required to become a freelance google analytics expert are enlisted below,
- Northwestern University located at Evanston in Illinois. The tuition fees are almost USD 27K per year
- The University of Southern California at Los Angeles, CA. The students need to pay an amount of USD 36K per annum
- University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. The annual fees of the university are USD 26K approximately per year
- Stanford University in California. The yearly tuition fees are almost USD 17K.
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The tuition fees are USD 11K per annum
- Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem in North Carolina. The annual fees are almost USD 27K.
- Cornell University at Ithaca in New York. The net annual fees are USD 29K
- The University of Georgia at Athens. Students are expected to pay a fee of USD 16K approximately per annum
- The University of Florida in Gainesville. The fee structure is less about USD 11K per year.
- Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Virginia. The tuition fees are almost USD 22K in a year
Skills to look for in a Google Analytics Consultant
Technical and soft skills are mandatory to check while you hire Google Analytics consultant for your company. Enlisted below are the qualities to verify and validate in a google analytics expert,
- Capability to understand the performance metrics and reports generated from the Google Analytics tool
- Familiarity with analytics, keyword research, and heatmap tools
- Must be conversant on all the basic concepts, features, and algorithms of Google Analytics
- Suggest and undertake improvement strategies and techniques based on the suggestions provided by Google Analytics and execute the same
- Efficient in calculating the ROI and conduct performance analysis for improvement
- Mathematical skills to calculate the CTR, PPC, and other concepts of google analytics
- Understand the performance demands, website traffic requirements, SEO optimization needs, and marketing demands of the company
- Strong command of the written and verbal communication skills
- Continual learning on the changes in the features, functions, reports, and algorithms of Google Analytics
- Capable to work independently in a remote environment leveraging the latest audio and video conferencing tools
- Efficient time management skills to ensure timely completion of the assigned work.
Also Read: Hire Illustrator | Everything you must know
Certifications to look for in a Google Analytics Consultant
Let us now try to understand the certifications that recruiting companies must check additionally, over and above the educational degrees, while hiring Google analytics consultants.
- Google Analytics for Beginners to learn the basic features
- Advanced Google Analytics course for learning the advanced features including data collection, configuration, data processing, and using the marketing tools
- Google Analytics for Power Users for tracking performance and identify the improvement areas
- Getting started with Google Analytics 360 to learn the features of the product and its integrations
- Google Analytics Individual Qualification (GAIQ) exam offered by Google
- Udemy Courses on Google Analytics with tutorials, practice exams and videos.
Also Read: Hire Screenwriter | A complete guide
Rate per hour of a Google Analytics Consultant
Recruiting managers and hiring companies must be aware of the google analytics consulting hourly rate. The hourly rates of a google analytics consultant vary based on the years of experience, educational qualifications, certifications obtained, and the base regions mainly.
If you hire from any agencies, then the cost may be a little higher. The reason being a freelancers do not have to bear any overhead costs. In the US, the rates vary between USD 15 and USD 40 per hour for an experience level of within 7 years.
The analytics consulting hourly rate rises up with experience, reaching almost USD 50 to USD 150. Consulting agencies in the US charge as high as USD 200 per hour and some about USD 110 per hour depending on the complexity of the work.
In the UK and the rest of Europe, the agencies charge approximately USD 125 an hour. Freelance Google analytics professional in the UK charge about USD 40 to USD 120 per hour. In India and the Asian countries, the hourly rates are comparatively lower being USD 25 on average.
Also Read: Hire Researcher | Know before you start
Top 10 job boards to find best Google Analytics Experts
Let us now discuss the top 10 job boards to hire Google analytics consultant,
- Upwork – One of the largest job boards to hire google analytics experts from its database of freelancers and professionals.
- unremot.com – Enables you to gain access into a global workforce within minutes of search, collaborating through video calls, messaging, and chats.
- Indeed – The popular job website containing profiles of a massive pool of freelancers
- AngelList – Recommended job board for hiring google analytics freelance experts from its huge talent pool.
- Fiverr – You can hire analytics expert services from Fiverr after due collaboration on the hourly rates.
- Facebook – You can post your job requirements in the Facebook groups and even scan through the list of google analytics specialist profiles.
- LinkedIn – One of the biggest professional networking websites connecting companies and interested candidates.
- Glassdoor – A prominent job website to hire Google analytics consultant according to your preferred roles and job description
- SimplyHired – A similar popular website to post job opportunities or search through the available profiles
- Ziprecruiter – The preferred job board to connect to an agency or analytics experts for recruitment.
Top 10 companies hiring Google Analytics Consultant and salaries offered
In this section, we will focus on the top 10 companies that have been recently hiring google analytics consultants. The starting salary offered by most of the companies ranges between USD 50K to USD 60K per year.
- Google hires Google partner specialists, Google AdWords advisor, google analytics expert for improvising and modifying their platform.
- Appen, specializing in machine learning and artificial intelligence.
- NBCUniversal, a media and entertainment company.
- T-Mobile, a telecommunications company.
- Lyft, leading transportation company.
- GoDaddy, a prominent web service platform.
- Hearst, a media and information company.
- AT&T, leading communication service provider.
- Lionbridge, a leader in translation and localization.
- WebFX, a web design, and development agency.
Top 10 interview questions for a Google Analytics Consultant
Before embarking on hiring a Google Analytics consultant, it is crucial to list down the top interview questions that will determine the credibility and suitability of the candidates. Here is a list of the key questions for your reference,
1. Elaborate on your understanding of Google Analytics goals?
Rationale: To judge whether the candidate understands how to track the user interactions in a website.
Expected Answer: The candidate must focus on the 4 ways by which goals can be tracked via Google Analytics – time, pages per visit, events, URLs.
2. Define KPI in Google Analytics?
Rationale: A mandatory question to ask while you hire google AdWords experts to judge the basic knowledge of the candidates on performance metrics
Expected Answer: You must check whether the candidate mentions KPI as the way to track, check and analyze the website performance along with some examples like conversion rate, bounce rate, page views, pages per sessions, etc.
3. What are the different types of funnels in Google Analytics?
Rationale: A common question to ask to understand the candidate’s basic knowledge.
Expected Answer: If the candidate mentions sales funnel, goal funnel, multi-channel goal funnel and multi-channel sales funnel; then you can consider the answer as correct.
4. What is the meaning of bounce rate?
Rationale: A very basic question to be asked mandatorily to understand the candidate’s knowledge on the vital performance metrics.
Expected Answer: The expected answer is the % of users who do not navigate to any other page from the website’s home page or landing page.
5. Which are the channels used by Google Analytics to track the origin of the website traffic?
Rationale: To understand whether the candidate possesses the knowledge on how Google Analytics works.
Expected Answer: Ensure the candidate specifies direct, organic, referral, paid, social channels.
6. State the difference between visits and clicks
Rationale: The question will help to decide on the expertise of the google analytic consultant on the important concepts.
Expected Answer: The candidate must mention clicks as actions performed by users on a website and visits as time spent on a website.
7. What is the importance of a behavior flow report?
Rationale: Will assist in determining the expertise of the candidate in identifying the user behavior in a website.
Expected Answer: The report essentially assists in understanding the paths followed by the users while navigating the website.
8. What is the difference between metrics and dimensions?
Rationale: To verify the technical knowledge and proficiency of the Google Analytics Consultant.
Expected Answer: The candidate must speak about dimensions as the attributes of the data and metrics as the numbers that can be checked in dimensions.
9. Define search depth?
Rationale: The question will guide in judging the knowledge of the candidate on the advanced concepts of Google Analytics.
Expected Answer: The expected answer is the average no of pages in a website visited or viewed after searching the website in the search engine
10. What is the significance of the demographics report?
Rationale: To check whether the candidate has the potential to read through the crucial reports of Google Analytics
Expected Answer: The demographics reports help in understanding the age and gender of the visitors to a website.