Voice echoing is often a big annoyance for many remote employees during a video call. Learn how to fix voice echoing. Read on!
Voice echoing is a common phenomenon occurring in various audio, video, and smart devices. To overcome a voice echo or echo video call, you must understand the causes for the same. In this article, we will extensively discuss the causes of voice echoing and how it can be fixed in different kinds of devices.
If one is hosting a meeting or catching up with friends in any of the video conferencing software like Unremot, Zoom, Skype, Google Hangouts, GoToMeeting, one might experience voice echoing. The video echoes spoil the harmony of a video conferencing meeting.
You might have a lot in your mind to communicate, but the echoes deviate your mind and all your thoughts are lost completely. In this post, we are going to help you understand what causes those dreadful echoes and what can be done to fix them. Let’s get started!
What is echoing?
Echoing or echo voice is defined as a situation in which the sound is repeated due to the reflection of the sound waves. The sound reaches the listener after a certain amount of delay. Basically, the sound waves hit a surface and are reflected; thus keep on repeating even after the original sound has been transmitted resulting in a voice echoing.
What is a microphone echo?
A microphone echo can occur for various reasons. It can happen when the sound from the speaker returns to the microphone at delayed intervals. Microphone echoes or voice echoing can be caused due to connectivity issues, bad weather conditions, or even faulty echoing phone. Due to the microphone echo effect, essentially you can hear yourself after a pause of a certain amount of time.
What causes an echo?
According to Wikipedia, ‘an echo is the reflection of sound that arrives at the listener with a delay after the direct sound.’ It is a single reflection of the sound source. Contrary to what you might think, if you are hearing your voice echoed back to you, the problem is not at your end!
In simple words, you hear the echo when your voice is coming out of the speaker on the other end of the call and then back into your microphone in that same room. In this case, the other participant is responsible to make necessary changes in how the room is set up.
What causes echo on cell phone
Let us now try to understand, what causes echo on cell phone? or Why does my Mic echo? There can be multiple reasons for voice echoing on cell phone. It can be,
- Phone handset issue
- Slow internet connectivity
- Interference of electromagnet devices for example a laptop, desktop, some power strips, etc.
- Defective or damaged phones
What is a phone echo test?
To narrow down on, what causes echoes? it is recommended to conduct a phone echo test. Several online firms like MCI, Infotelsytems, Testcall offer an echo test number to check whether your audio devices are functioning properly. You can check the speakers echoing issues through their dial-in services or online services.
Difference between voice echoing and voice reverberation
Voice echoing is when the sound comes back into the microphone from the speaker. This happens often as the speaker and the mic of the phone are in close contact which causes a delay in hearing after you speak.
Voice reverberation occurs when the voice comes out of the speaker, bounces around the room, and then comes back into the mic. Hard surfaces in the room are the main cause of a reverb. Usually, it is more delayed than an echo. Sound passing from the speaker back to the mic is the fundamental similarity between an echo and a reverb.
How much the sound bounces around the room before it returns into the mic is the key difference between reverb and an echo. This means that they require a different way to fix the issue. Changing a hardware technology resolves the problem of an echo whereas the reverb requires a change to the room itself by adding soft surfaces to absorb the sound.
Therefore, it is vital to identify the difference between both! These are effective steps by which a voice echoing in video calls can be resolved. But one last thing to keep in mind is to take control over problem-solving.
But the bad reality is, you always can’t take control of what’s happening on the other end. If there is any voice echoing during a video call, it is always better for you to inform your boss about the issue you are facing. Or else it is a waste of time for you as well as your boss.
Few software helpline centers and website briefly explains about how to deal with echoing problems which arise in the specific software.
For example, searching ‘Skype echo tests’ or ‘skype echo cancellation’ and ‘google hangouts echo tests’ or ‘google hangouts echo cancellation’ results with the particular software’s website address which suggests steps to eliminate voice echoing.
Tip: Following the above steps eliminates the voice echoing. But if any technical problem arises from particular software, the below-mentioned step is a hack everyone should know.
How to fix echo on mic?
Here are some tips that can be followed by everyone that joins a video conferencing call to have a disturbance-free meeting.
1. Use headphones
There is a good chance to eliminate voice echoing by using headphones. Be it a group call or a one-to-one conferencing call, using headphones is the easiest way to avoid voice echoing. As the speaker is in your ears, the chance of a headphone’s mic to pick up the voice from the speaker is difficult.
This is something common for a group call or even if it is a one-to-one conferencing call. If you are in a video conferencing call with an individual, ask the other friend/colleague to use the headphones the moment you hear an echo.
The same applies to a group meeting as well. As the other participants are located in distinct locations using different devices, voice echoing is common in these scenarios. Asking the participants to use a headphone helps to eliminate the voice echoing.
2. Ask the other participants to mute themselves
The real problem of voice echoing starts when the call is between multiple individuals located in distinct locations. An individual using a laptop in a distinct location. A small team joining the meeting from a conference room.
Like this, there are quite a few probabilities and possibilities an individual or a group of people could take part in a video conferencing meeting. So it becomes a bit complex to figure out the problem. Ah! For these complex situations, ask everyone who isn’t hearing the echo to mute themselves.
It is a better way to begin to address this problem. Next is to ask people one by one to unmute themselves. The echo will likely come back. As everyone is unmuting themselves one by one, you will figure who is causing this problem.
If the echo is caused by an individual who’s using a laptop, asking the person to use a headphone will work here. But if it is a conference room, there could be a problem with the microphone or the speaker settings. Using two devices at the time often increases the probability of echoing.
How to fix cell phone echo problem?
In this section, we will discuss, How to fix cell phone echo problem? Here are the steps and solutions to stop voice echoing in a cell phone,
- Switch on/off the speaker to stop echoing lines – While receiving phone calls, you can turn on the speaker and then turn it off to check whether the problem is resolved.
- Check headphones to prevent weird noise while talking on cell phone – Disconnect Headsets from cell phones to check whether they are the source of the problem. You can buy headphones with good noise cancellation.
- Restart to stop echo on cell phone – Turn the power off of the cell phone and restart it. Rebooting may help to resolve any software bugs and reduce the echoing problem.
- OS recovery as a solution for why does my cell phone echo? Android or iOS have their system repair tool which can be leveraged for fixing the echoing problem.
How to fix Samsung Galaxy S7 echo problem?
Wondering, how to stop mic echo? Here are the steps to follow for resolving the Samsung Galaxy S7 echo problem or voice echoing issues.
- Check the Internet or wi-fi connectivity – A faulty internet or wi-fi connectivity can be a good reason for Samsung echo problem. Check with your service provider for any such issues.
- Restart the Phone – Switch off the phone and then power on to check if the echo problem is resolved. You can apply the same technique to cater Samsung Galaxy S5 echo problem or Samsung Galaxy S6 echo problem.
- Room echo cancellation – Ensure the room from where you answer or receive phone calls through your Samsung phone is noise-free. Heavy drapes or curtains, paintings, wall decors, furniture, fabric blinds, carpets or rugs, bookshelves, and cushions are some of the best ways to reduce echoing; a good solution for the answer to How to fix echo on mic in a Samsung phone?
How to fix Zoom echo issue?
In this sub-section, we will try to decipher, how to stop echo on mic during Zoom meetings? The three probable methods of eliminating zoom echo are stated below,
- Check the audio of telephone and computer/laptop to prevent echo on zoom – Both the audio of telephone and computer or laptop must never be simultaneously on. Participants must use anyone for their audio facilities during the Zoom meetings or calls.
- External speakers may lead to headphones echoing – Participants sometimes use external speakers connected to their computers or phones. Avoid placing both close to each other to prevent echoing.
- Avoid Multiple computers/laptops with active audio for zoom echo cancellation – Participants may be huddled up in a single room with their laptops or computers each with their audio on. Avoid such situations by attending through a single telephone or a single device. You can project the screen through one computer system to avoid such voice echoing issues.
How to fix iPhone echo?
For fixing iPhone echo or voice echoing, follow the simple steps mentioned below,
- Check your connection for iPhone echoing – iPhone echoing may occur due to a weak network connection. Move to an area where the signal is better or try to speak to your service provider for poor connection.
- Restart iPhone to prevent the voice echo effect – Use the power off slider to switch off the iPhone. Restart again to check whether the voice echo effect is gone.
- Carrier Settings Update as a remedy for echo on iPhone – Apple uses carrier settings to upgrade the software for better connectivity. Check if there are any updates available. If yes then initiate the process to check if the echo on iPhone can be prevented.
- Sim Card ejection and re-insertion – Another step to check the echo phone is to eject the sim card using the pin provided in the iPhone box. Re-insert the sim card and check for the iPhone echo.
How to fix Skype echo?
Skype echo is a very common problem for Skype users. Here are some of the tips to prevent Skype voice echoing or Skype feedback echo.
- Download the latest version with the skype echo cancel feature – Check whether you have the latest version with the Skype echo cancel feature. Else download it to detect and reduce voice echo.
- Reduce the volume of the microphone to prevent skype feedback noise – Try reducing the volume of the microphone being used for the Skype calls. Either reduce it to 50% or turn off the boost option to prevent Skype feedback noise.
- Avoid using speakers to tackle Skype echo problems – If the above two options do not work to control Skype echo problems, try avoiding using speakers. Many times the Skype echo is eliminated by using headphones.
- Inappropriate Hardware resulting in echo on Skype – Faulty hardware or inappropriate hardware configurations may result in echo on Skype. You need to check with customer care for a faster resolution.
How to fix Google Hangouts echo?
If you are facing Google Hangouts echo problems, check out these steps for resolving the voice echoing issues.
- Check the hardware for Google hangout echo – Any hardware connected via USB must be checked for a need for software installation. The camera, microphone, and speakers must be turned on as needed.
- Verify the settings to resolve Google voice echo – Test the microphone and speaker by clicking on the settings option in the Google hangout video call window. Ensure the settings have the correct devices selected to resolve Google voice echo.
- Rejoin the call for controlling Google Hangouts feedback – Disconnect and rejoin the video call to check out whether you can get away with Google Hangouts feedback. You may even restart your computer.
- Send feedback to Google Hangouts – If the above steps do not help to resolve the Google hangout echo, it is advisable to send comments, feedback, and issues to Google.
How to fix Webex echo?
A Webex echo majorly occurs due to issues at any one of the participants’ end. Let us now discuss how to resolve Webex voice echoing problems; an answer to your question on, why is my audio echoing in Webex?
- Actions to be taken by the host to check microphone echoing in Webex – Mute all lines in the Webex conference call. Start unmuting one by one to check is there an echo in here. Once identified, ask the speaker to manually mute devices or keep the person muted through the conference.
- Disconnect and Rejoin – Disconnect the audio conference and rejoin using headphones and not connect through speakers. Utilize the Call Me or I Will Call In options.
How to fix Android echo issues?
Android echo issues or voice echoing can be resolved by following the mentioned steps; an answer to, Why do phones echo in Android devices? Check the network connectivity for cell phone echo problem.
Check the internet or wi-fi connectivity of your cellphone service provider. Contact the service provider to resolve any network issues.
- Restart the Device to fix the mobile echo – Switch off the mobile device and then power on to check if the mobile echo is fixed. Maintain a time interval between the switch off and on functions.
- Turn down the speaker or microphone volume – For eliminating voices phone volume can be turned down and re-checked. Essentially you would need to reduce the volume of the speaker or the microphone.
- Verify echo cancellation feature – After following the above steps, if you are still hearing other voices on cell phone, it is recommended to check if your Android OS has the echo cancellation feature. Else connect with the customer care reporting Android echo issues.
How to fix Discord echo?
Wondering, how to fix Discord echo? Here are some of the tips for resolving Discord voice echoing problems,
- Noise suppression for Discord echo problem – The first step to check for fixing the Discord echo problem is to enable the Noise Suppression option. It is present in the Discord app at the bottom left side within the Wave icon on the Voice Connected text.
- Enable Echo cancellation – As a next option to resolve Discord echo, scroll more by following the steps mentioned in the first option. Enable the Echo cancellation option in the app.
- Improper audio settings – If you are still not able to resolve Discord echo problems and wondering, how to get rid of mic echo? Check the audio settings in the computer, laptop, or cell phone.
How to fix echo in Messenger?
To fix echo in messenger or voice echoing, you can follow the below-mentioned steps.
- Adjust the volume – Be it iPhone or Android phone, check the volume settings first. If it resolves your question on, why my phone echoes when I talk? then you are good; else follow the next steps,
- Restart the phone or the device – Restart the phone or the device where the messenger is installed to fix the echo in messenger.
- Clear Cache and Data – Android users can try to clear cache and data on the Facebook messenger to check whether the echo in messenger is fixed.
- Uninstall and Reinstall – If there are still voice echo calls Facebook messenger can be uninstalled and reinstalled again to check if the problem is resolved.
How to fix GoToMeeting echo?
GoToMeeting echo can be resolved by following the key steps as illustrated below.
- Echo cancellation – While talking echo in GoToMeeting or voice echoing can be controlled by selecting the Echo Cancelling Speakerphone option under the Computer Audio settings.
- Lower the volume of the echoing microphone – Check the Audio Pane of the meeting window to check which participants are speaking. Mute them as ask them to lower the volume of the speaker or microphone. Unmute them when required.
- Avoid attending GoToMeeting together in a closed room – Ensure several participants with audio on, are not present in a closed room. It will be difficult to prevent echoing sound. If you cannot avoid it, ensure they use headphones and keep themselves muted when not speaking.
How to fix a normal Bluetooth echo problem?
Isn’t it annoying to hear cell phone echo tapping in your Bluetooth? Well, here are some tips to resolve the Bluetooth echo problem.
- Restart connected devices for microphone echo cancellation – Restart all the connected devices to the Bluetooth. This is the first step to check for the resolution of the Bluetooth echo problem.
- Unpair and pair for preventing phone echo – Remove the pairing between Bluetooth and the other devices. Pair again to check whether the Bluetooth echo problem is solved.
- Check the volume settings – Check the volume and sound settings of the Bluetooth device or the Bluetooth software installed in the mobile devices to prevent echo phone call.
Adding a bunch of frequently asked questions below,
What causes an echo?
Voice echoes when sound from the speaker gets back into the microphone.
What is an echo video call?
Echo video call is the colloquial way to say a ‘voice echoing in video calls’.
What is voice reverberation?
Voice reverberation occurs when the voice comes out of the speaker, bounces around the room and then comes back into the mic. Hard surfaces are the main cause for reverb and it is more delayed than an echo.
What are the three things one needs to keep in mind while dealing with a voice echoing during a meeting?
One should have spontaneous answers to 3 questions. They are ‘how to fix echoing?’, ‘how to fix echo on the mic?’ and ‘how to fix echo in headphones’. One should be able to communicate this to his fellow colleague/participant to rectify the voice echoing error.
How to fix the echo?
A voice echo is something not caused by your side. The other participant is responsible to fix the echo. However, you need to inform the other participant(s) about such an issue and ask them to use a headphone. Headphones help in eliminating a voice echo effectively.
How to fix echo on the mic?
To fix the echo on the mic, it is necessary to ensure that the mic and the headphones are not kept in close contact.
How to fix echo in headphones?
To fix echo in headphones, it is the same as how you addressed the mic issue. The chances for a mic to pick up the voice from the speaker would become difficult if they are not kept together.