What are the key tasks done by a cashier. Here is a list of the top 20 most compelling cashier job description. Read on!
Cashier job description
What is Cashier? A Cashier is a person who handles the cash register at different locations such as the sales area in a retail store. What is the job description of a Cashier? The Cashier job description includes the cashier duties list and cashier responsibilities list as part of the duties and responsibilities of a cashier.
Cashier description also lists out different skills and qualifications required as part of the job. This article will take you through a cashier description for a resume sample to understand more about cashier job descriptions.
Also Read: Employee management | A complete guide
Cashier job description
Job description for cashier generally includes the following points,
- The cashier job description mentions excellent customer service skills.
- The cashier job description mentions an individual with a strong work ethic and high accuracy level.
- The restaurant cashier job description mentions that the individual should be able to respond to complaints, process payments, take feedbacks, etc.
- The job description for cashier mentions a responsible individual with attention to detail.
- Cashier jobs description include that the individual is responsible for processing different kinds of payments.
- Resume description for cashier includes a minimum qualification of a high school diploma or equivalent.
- The Retail cashier’s job description mentions an individual should be proficient in scanning the customer-selected items and ensuring the prices are correct.
- A Retail cashier job description also includes processing of refunds or exchange of items.
- The Job description of a cashier includes providing relevant information to the customers such as item location.
- Cashier associate job description includes assisting customers in the in-store check-out process.
- The Cash handling job description is also part of the cashier job description.
- Abides by pre-established guidelines.
- Works under immediate supervision from supervisor and follows instructions.
- 0-2 years of experience
- Redeem stamps and coupons
What are the duties of a cashier? Cashier responsibilities and duties are varied which revolves around giving the customer the best shopping experience. We have listed down few duties which are common in grocery store cashier duties, restaurant cashier duties, retail cashier duties, supermarket cashier duties, etc. Here is a list of cashier duties according to the cashier job description,
- Cashier duties include handling different modes of payments such as card, cash, etc
- The duties of a cashier include scanning the barcode on each purchased item
- Cashier job duties comprise doing a price check on selected items.
- Cash register duties such as keeping a check on the cash amount in the till.
- Give back the correct change, receipts to the customer.
- Handle refunds, exchanges, and replacements of items.
- Process coupons and discounts.
- Handle discount cards on applicable purchases.
- Bagging the items properly is another one of the job duties of a cashier.
- Answer customer queries if any.
- Cashier’s duties include maintaining a record of transactions.
- Return unbought items to their respective shelves.
- Help customers sign up for reward points or membership cards.
- Maintain a clean and tidy checkout area.
- Check for ID on certain items such as alcohol.
What is the cashier’s responsibility? Cashier duties and responsibilities may vary based on the industry. For example, the duties and responsibilities of a cashier in a supermarket revolve around bagging, resolving complaints, collecting money, organizing the cash register, etc. The following are the responsibilities of a cashier based on the cashier job description,
- Cashier job responsibilities include bagging and wrapping purchases in a safe manner to ensure easy transit.
- Resolving customer complaints is one of the cashiers’ responsibilities.
- Job responsibilities of a cashier include balancing the cash drawer by counting the cash at the beginning and end of the shift.
- Cashier’s responsibilities are to discount purchases by redeeming coupons.
- Provide pricing information by answering queries.
- Enter price change by referring to the sales bulletin.
- Provide a positive customer experience.
- Follows proper workplace procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Collects payment by accepting cash or card.
- Registers sales on the cash register by totaling the purchases made by a customer.
- Verifies credit acceptance by reviewing government-approved ID cards.
- Restaurant cashier responsibilities might include asking customers to provide feedback.
- Greet customers while entering or leaving the establishment.
- Process returns and ensures that the returned products are in good condition.
- Maintain tidy checkout areas.
A Cashier should have the following skills in order to fulfill the duties and responsibilities properly. These are some of the top cashier skills that are good to possess according to the cashier job description,
- Under cashier job skills, basic maths is an essential skill to have as calculations are an everyday part of the job.
- Product knowledge is another beneficial skill that comes under cashier skills and responsibilities.
- Cashier Skills and duties include Interpersonal Communication as part of the cashier job description.
- Telephone Etiquette is a cashier skill that helps in managing customers.
- Cashier skills like Customer Service are useful to provide a positive customer experience.
- Basic Computer knowledge is an important part of cashier skills.
- Maintaining a positive attitude is the most important amongst all the other cashier skills.
- Punctuality is one of the cashier skills that makes a person look more professional.
- Dispute resolution ability amongst other cashier skills is good to have.
- Cashier skills like dependability make a person desirable for the job.
- Efficiency is another cashier skill that is important for the job as a cashier.
- Cashier jobs include flexibility as the desired cashier skill.
- Attention to Detail
- Time Management
- Point of Sale systems
Here are the top 5 cashier qualifications based on the cashier job description,
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required to apply for jobs of a cashier.
- Basic math and computer skills are important cashier qualifications that are useful in carrying out cashier roles and responsibilities.
- Attention to detail is amongst cashier qualifications as per the role description of a cashier.
- Exceptional communication skills are part of the cashiers’ job description.
- Customer service experience is an essential cashier qualification to have. The major duties of a cashier include giving a positive experience to the customers.
Also Read: Democracy at Work | A comprehensive guide
Common cashier job title in companies
Job titles for cashiers are different based on the work industry and the roles of a cashier. Front end associate and Sales associate are some of the most commonly seen cashier job titles as part of the marketing industry.
Cashier’s job description will wary based on the different job titles. Grocery store cashier job description would mostly include the different roles and responsibilities like bagging, managing the cash register, accepting payments, etc. Let us look into some common cashier job titles as part of the cashier job description,
- Order entry/ processor is a cashier job title generally used for a person responsible for making entries and processing payments.
- Front-end associate is a very commonly used cashier job title in retail.
- A checker is usually used for a cashier in a supermarket.
- Stockers is a cashier job title who is mainly responsible for filling up the shelves.
- Sales associates are responsible for selling products while providing an excellent customer experience.
- Customer Service Representative help in addressing customer issues and resolve them in a timely manner.
- Inventory Taker
- Retail customer service associate
- Retail Sales Associate
- Retail Sales Consultant
- Stock Clerk
- Display Assistant
- Floor Area Manager